Why become a member? ×

Essential kit

uk_lefty

Hi everyone. 

I took a punt on a knackered bass on ebay and amazingly won it this morning. It needs a lot of work, something I need to learn, but it will go way beyond my current tinkering experience. What I'm looking for to start off with is just an idea of the essential tools and supplies I will need to take an 80s bass that looks like it's been well used and then forgotten about back in to a giggable bass. It will need a new nut, some smoothing out of flaky lacquer, and a set up... Possible electrics cleaning and re soldering. Any advice on what kit is required and where to get it from? 

I've got lemon oil, Allen keys, screwdrivers, pliers. Thinking I need measuring kit, various types of sandpaper, a neck prop thing.. Anything else? 

If you want a handy little tool for measuring string height, pickup height etc, one of these would come in handy , and for general light sanding and nibbing down or smoothing, these pads are great, https://www.screwfix.com/p/norton-expert-contour-sanding-pads-fine-medium-pack-of-2/9971D?tc=AA6&ds_kid=92700022649300980&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1243321&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-mtisnC5wIVF-DtCh1BsQ7HEAQYAiABEgJb6fD_BwE

664AD8FC-ADB9-4423-88FF-6EF984CFB96B.png

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

If you want a handy little tool for measuring string height, pickup height etc, one of these would come in handy , and for general light sanding and nibbing down or smoothing, these pads are great, https://www.screwfix.com/p/norton-expert-contour-sanding-pads-fine-medium-pack-of-2/9971D?tc=AA6&ds_kid=92700022649300980&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1243321&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr-mtisnC5wIVF-DtCh1BsQ7HEAQYAiABEgJb6fD_BwE

664AD8FC-ADB9-4423-88FF-6EF984CFB96B.png

I forgot I had one of those little rulers! Handy to have a photo of how to use it. Thanks for this

• Like 1

Having seen many people invest a fortune in the 'right tools' just for many of them to never be used again, my advice is that, aside from the obvious basics, see what needs to be done THEN identify a cost effective solution and build your collection of tools as you need them.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Having seen many people invest a fortune in the 'right tools' just for many of them to never be used again, my advice is that, aside from the obvious basics, see what needs to be done THEN identify a cost effective solution and build your collection of tools as you need them.

True. My garage is full of stuff that wasn't quite right for the job! Am looking to bring this bass back to life and in doing so learn to look after my other basses better, so set ups and things I should just do myself instead of paying for. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

Am looking to bring this bass back to life and in doing so learn to look after my other basses better, so set ups and things I should just do myself instead of paying for. 

A few years ago I bought an old battered mim fender jazz , I took everything off it , stripped the body and sanded the neck, re stained the fingerboard,  and upgraded all the parts and rebuilt it, this was a massive learning curve for me as I learned how the bass was constructed, and with the help of some YouTube videos and playing around I adjusted the truss rod and bridge to set it up to perfection for me, since then I have no fear of setting  up or tweaking any of my basses,   I’ve just bought a mim p bass and I’m going to do the same with that ,  it’s a great way to learn 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

A few years ago I bought an old battered mim fender jazz , I took everything off it , stripped the body and sanded the neck, re stained the fingerboard,  and upgraded all the parts and rebuilt it, this was a massive learning curve for me as I learned how the bass was constructed, and with the help of some YouTube videos and playing around I adjusted the truss rod and bridge to set it up to perfection for me, since then I have no fear of setting  up or tweaking any of my basses,   I’ve just bought a mim p bass and I’m going to do the same with that ,  it’s a great way to learn 🙂

This is an Aria SB. A bass I've listed after for ages. It's just been a bit unloved for a good while. It could be knackered, it could just be in need of a clean and a bit of a tweak, but for what I paid to get a 1984 matsumoko through neck bass it's worth it. If I get it going watch out for me John Tayloring it up in a band with a name like Duran Duraren't in a town near you soon! 

• Like 2

Feeler gauges plus a capo for checking neck relief. The right size allen keys for adjusting truss rod and bridge saddles. A way of measuring string height. Something to polish frets (the crimson guitars fret rubbers are ace) and one of the metal fingerboard guards,

After that it depends what needs fixing. Nut files next then probably the kit to deal with frets, although that depends on how low you try and push the action down, you might not get to the point that slight fret unevenness causes problems. (or the frets may be level already)

• Thanks 1