Why become a member? ×

Centre hole on MIM split-post fender tuner - drill out?

nilebodgers

Idly wondering - anyone tried drilling a larger centre hole in a split-post MIM fender tuner? The holes are a bit small for the E & A strings, especially if the strings aren't very tapered.

The old-style tuners (and Hipshot HB7 if I want to do the easy upgrade) have larger centre holes so it is less fiddly fitting the string.

Minor things I know, but it annoys me every time I change strings!

Difficult drilling from the split end because the drill will bite/snag. If you take apart and drill from the back it would be better.

EDIT: not sure if the thread in the back would allow a big enough drill to pass through without damage, it's not something I've actually tried!

Edited by KiOgon

Hmmm...just retrieved my verniers from the shed. The slot in the post is only 2.5mm wide, so I could get a 2.4mm drill in there from the slot end, but the hole is close to the width of the slot anyway so It's debatable if the difference is worth the effort. (a 2.5mm goes, but it is a bit bind-y on the edges of the slot, so that would need clamping well in a pillar drill)

I have HB7s on my other MIM bass and the slot in the post is 3.8mm with a larger hole too. (The much higher gear ratio and adjustable tension makes them nicer to use as well as the ease of stringing up.)

This is going to end up with me buying a set of HB7s isn't it? 🙄