Why become a member? ×

The Musical Box

skb558

Unashamedly transported back to the 1970s last night at York Barbican; 2.5 hours of consummate musicianship from The Musical Box, one of, if not, the foremost Genesis tribute bands. Stunning!

CF1B4358-3A25-433F-B2CE-C6B1F8348C00.jpeg

Edited by skb558
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, skb558 said:

Unashamedly transported back to the 1970s last night at York Barbican; 2.5 hours of consummate musicianship from The Musical Box, one of, if not, the foremost Genesis tribute bands. Stunning!

How was the non-PG material?

They are terrific aren't they. Seen them 3 times now. They did The lamb lies down a few years ago, with the original slide show (borrowed from Genesis), was ace.

I did the same with tickets this year, opted for Hackett instead & that was equally good. Funny thing is I'm not a huge Genesis fan but really enjoyed MB & SH live. Go see 'em, consumate musicianship & performance.

3 hours ago, toneknob said:

How was the non-PG material?

Excellent. A lot of ‘A Trick Of The Tail’. ‘Los Endos’ took me straight back to Manchester Free Trade Hall Jan ‘77 hence the pic. 

They finished with ‘The Musical Box’, naturally, but came back for an encore of ‘’Supper’s Ready’ 😳

Edited by skb558
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, skb558 said:

CF1B4358-3A25-433F-B2CE-C6B1F8348C00.jpeg

Just to clear something up for you, I've seen several Genesis tributes and none of them are in the league of one that these guys occupy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2020 at 11:39, skb558 said:

MB announced last night that they will return next year with the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, not everyone’s idea of fun but I’ll be there. 

Ooohhh, in that case so will I 🙂

Like others I opted for Hackett this year, mainly because friends wanted to see his show. But The Lamb live would be great!

Having seen both more than once, I think MB are more faithful to the material and are, IMO, comfortably better. Having said that I’ve missed out on MB this year but my mate has bought us tickets for Hackett, so it’s up to Steve to prove me wrong.😉

Saw Steve Hackett at the Barbican in York in November and enjoyable as it was, I would spend my money on The Musical Box for the authentic Genesis experience.

First Genesis gig for me was 1976 at Stafford, having failed to get tickets for The Lamb tour the previous year, so note perfect Gabriel era material with vintage gear was a treat. Goose pimples-a-plenty!

Edited by skb558

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

To make matters worse, he was grinning insanely almost all the time he wasn’t also singing. 

god forbid a rocker should look like they enjoy what they do. our lead guitarist has berated me and our drummer many times for smiling too much. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I saw The Musical Box on the 22nd and for the first time, I left feeling a bit disappointed. Given that it was the final night of this leg of the tour, I really did expect the show to be a little more polished than it was.

I have to give them a bit of slack due to the complexity of the material, but the drummer really didn’t seem to be on it at all. To make matters worse, he was grinning insanely almost all the time he wasn’t also singing. There were a few moments where he drifted off course and you could hear him trying to work his way back in. Awkward to listen to if you know the material well. The keys player also seemed to be having a bit of a bad night. Some of the more elaborate passages didn’t sound syncopated. The guitarist, whilst his parts were superbly executed, he didn’t have Hackett’s sound down very well. The bass player Sebastien, was excellent as usual. I heard him drop one note on the bass pedals that he was cross he’d let happen, but given all the plates he had spinning, I can forgive him that easily. Denis was spot on as usual.

Saw them in Southampton on the 14th. At several points in Dance on a Volcano I think the guitarist was playing a different song? Shame cos I've seen them three times now and they've previously been superb. They're touring The Lamb next - I think they'll find selling tickets for such a specific show quite hard - there were plenty of empty seats at Southampton. 

One more thing (dons body armour), would anyone else get by if they never heard Supper's Ready again?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Saw them in Southampton on the 14th. At several points in Dance on a Volcano I think the guitarist was playing a different song? Shame cos I've seen them three times now and they've previously been superb. They're touring The Lamb next - I think they'll find selling tickets for such a specific show quite hard - there were plenty of empty seats at Southampton. 

One more thing (dons body armour), would anyone else get by if they never heard Supper's Ready again?

There is a parallel universe where Supper's Ready jumps from the end of Lover's Leap, straight to Apocalypse in 9/8. What a wonderful universe that must be.

• Like 2