Why become a member? ×

8ohm to 4ohm rewire??????

Mike Bungo

Hi everyone

I'm after a bit of advice.....

I have a Trace Elliot Elf which is just fab and I believe it's rated 130 watts @ 8ohm and 200 watts @ 4ohm 

I also have a TC Electronic RS210c 400 watt @ 8ohm

It is possible or wise to rewire the 210 as a 4 ohm cab so that I' m getting the most out of my ELF or would this damage the amp???

Thanks in advance

Mike :) 

elf.JPG

rs210.JPG

I am sure a grownup will be along shortly.  In the interim, I have also pursued this dream in the past, only to be told variations on :

"It cannot be done.  Additionally, it is pointless because even if your amp doubled it's wattage output going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms it would only get you an increase of +3db."

Never quite got that but there you go.  

PS love the colour and cuteness of these little guys.  You just want to pinch their chubby little cheeks.

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, lownote12 said:

It cannot be done.  Additionally, it is pointless because even if your amp doubled it's wattage output going from 8 ohms to 4 ohms it would only get you an increase of +3db.

Not necessarily pointless, especially if you have a particularly anemic amp where even 3dB helps. But what you're  going to get is not all that much, and the difference between 130w and 200w isn't even 3dB.

The only way to drop to 4 ohms would be:

a) rewrite the cabinet to only use one speaker - giving a 200W can at 4 ohms or

b) buy another identical cab and uses magic lead to run them in parallel.

I (along with most other BCers would opt for more cabs) 😎

2 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

The only way to drop to 4 ohms would be:

a) rewrite the cabinet to only use one speaker - giving a 200W can at 4 ohms or

b) buy another identical cab and uses magic lead to run them in parallel.

I (along with most other BCers would opt for more cabs) 😎

Thanks Paul

I do have an RS112 so I can do that but was just wanting to stay really compact for travelling :)

No

Because:

There are only two ways to wire two speakers. In parallel or in series. In series the total resistance is = R1 + R2  - if these speakers are the same that is 2 x R. in parallel the total resistance is total = 1 / (1 / R1 + 1/R2) - if the speakers are the same that is R / 2

So if they are wired in series, the individual speakers would have to be half the total resistance, so 2 x 4 ohm speakers, so rewiring them in parallel would give you a 2 ohm output. If they were wired in parallel they would need to be double the total, so 2 x 16 ohm speakers, so wiring them in series would give you a 32 ohm output. I am guessing the former.

Just now, Woodinblack said:

No

Because:

There are only two ways to wire two speakers. In parallel or in series. In series the total resistance is = R1 + R2  - if these speakers are the same that is 2 x R. in parallel the total resistance is total = 1 / (1 / R1 + 1/R2) - if the speakers are the same that is R / 2

So if they are wired in series, the individual speakers would have to be half the total resistance, so 2 x 4 ohm speakers, so rewiring them in parallel would give you a 2 ohm output. If they were wired in parallel they would need to be double the total, so 2 x 16 ohm speakers, so wiring them in series would give you a 32 ohm output. I am guessing the former.

Thank you :)

1 minute ago, grandad said:

An interesting way to connect speakers on a stereo system is normal left and right channels but also have a third speaker and connect both +ves to the terminals and you will hear the difference signal. Any common signal will cancel.

Not if it is a valve stereo system!