Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Super Compact

Jack_Stroud_Bass

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

This thread is making me wonder about swapping my pair of One10 for a pair of SC.

Anyone done that swap?

I play old big band so to hear the SC works with an old RnB sound seems a good fit.

I went the other way, from SC to two One10s. Both are bloody wonderful options and I think I’d still go so far as to at the SC is the best cab I’ve ever used but the One10s just fit my sonic needs better right now. In the cold light of day the SC is more brittle and harsh than the One10s but in a band situation that allows it to cut through the mix really well whilst also filling out the bottom end.

2 hours ago, Merton said:

I went the other way, from SC to two One10s. Both are bloody wonderful options and I think I’d still go so far as to at the SC is the best cab I’ve ever used but the One10s just fit my sonic needs better right now. In the cold light of day the SC is more brittle and harsh than the One10s but in a band situation that allows it to cut through the mix really well whilst also filling out the bottom end.

So you’re telling my wife I should keep the pair of One10 but also get SC? Just to make sure I’ve got the best option for the room?

Ace!

I’ll let her know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, fretmeister said:

So you’re telling my wife I should keep the pair of One10 but also get SC? Just to make sure I’ve got the best option for the room?

Ace!

I’ll let her know.

Nail -> head.

You need options and variety, she must understand that with shoes/clothes/handbags/[insert other gender stereotype here]...

The other advantage of having both is you could run a clean signal into the SC and an overdriven one into the One10s all at the same time. Or stick and Octaver through the SC. Etc etc.

I’ve thought about this too much. And now I want to get an SC back into my rig as well 😂

12 hours ago, foxyFuze said:

I forgot I was following this thread, and it's now reignited my desire to get a SC or SM to add to my BB2! 

The SM and BB2 together are superb.  It makes no sense to me to use a SC with a BB2.  You need to have the SC on top and it doesn't have a tweeter.  BB2 and SM is the way to go.

I have both, and it gives three excellent gigging options.

Plus, the SM on its own is so useful on smaller gigs.

Frank.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, foxyFuze said:

I forgot I was following this thread, and it's now reignited my desire to get a SC or SM to add to my BB2! 

IMO the SM pairs better with a BB2. I only got to play my new BB2 twice before the lockdown, but the BB2 and SM is an excellent combo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, chris_b said:

IMO the SM pairs better with a BB2. . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . that's rather than the SC pairing with the BB2. The SM also creates a great sound paired with an SC.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2020 at 11:53, ebenezer said:

You are best with at least 500 Watts into 8 ohms....the barefaced driver is loosely based around the eminence kappalite 3012lf.... fantastic driver, but really needs to be driven.

The 12XN is very different to the 3012LF although it does share the same aluminium basket and neo magnet. The bandwidth is wider, the dispersion is broader, and the sensitivity is far higher. Very few bassists can use 3012LF drivers without needing a midrange driver whilst many can use a 12XN and get "full-range" tone for their needs. This difference and the increased sensitivity means you need less than half as much amp power compared to a 3012LF.

• Like 3