Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Super Compact

Jack_Stroud_Bass

1 hour ago, Paul S said:

If there's nowt wrong with your back an old Trace Elliot head would sound fab.  Trace amp and Supercompact my precise gigging rig for 3 or so years until my back got worse.

Yeah, I mean there's nothing wrong with it NOW, but maybe three years down the line... We gig a lot so ideally I'd like something with less weight to it.

I use a Rootmaster 800 evo with my Super Compact - usually with a Fender Jazz or Precision, sometimes flats sometimes rounds, always with a pick. Aways sounds great! (to my ears, anyway).

More than holds its own on backline only gigs, and DI'd or mic'd on the bigger gigs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

Thanks guys.

@Chris B I've heard a lot of good things about the Quilter BB800, but I think I'll have to try one myself before-hand, cheers for the offer.

I keep going back to the reason I bought this in the first place, when I played through one at a gig which was paired with an Aguilar TH500. Was really surprised at how good it sounded.

@gary mac That's ace! Thinking I'll try this solo for a while, see how I get on and then potentially add another cab if needed in the future.

Ta,

Jack

If the TH500 sounded good to you with that cab then don't waste your time and money trying everything else. 

• Like 1

Well if you're asking, I use a DG AO900 with my BF SC 😁

Clean, modern, great EQ, with oodles of power and the ability to get dirty. 

... but the point is well made. The SC is transparent / uncoloured, with excellent articulation and sound dispersion. It's effectively a blank canvas to add the bass and amp tone that you want. 

11 hours ago, Low Class said:

If the TH500 sounded good to you with that cab then don't waste your time and money trying everything else. 

That really is a good call, if a set up is liked in a gig environment that’s the best way to determine if it suits or not.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, machinehead said:

Everyone will just suggest the amps they own, so I'll do the same. :)

Quilter BB800 or Peavey miniMax 500.

There is some logic though. 

The BB800 is small and lightweight, is very powerful and smooth with big lows if you want them, so perfect for the blues/R&B I play.  And it's CHEAP but excellent quality.

The Peavey miniMax 500 is small and lightweight, is very powerful and smooth with big lows if you want them, so perfect for the blues/R&B I play.  And it's even CHEAPER but excellent quality.

Frank.

They're my 2 heads of choice too!

13 hours ago, Low Class said:

This is my main thought. I'm likely going to try one tomorrow, and it'll take some persuasion otherwise to deter me from this. It just sounded bangin' with a P. Cut through the mix really nicely.

15 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I use a Rootmaster 800 evo with my Super Compact - usually with a Fender Jazz or Precision, sometimes flats sometimes rounds, always with a pick. Aways sounds great! (to my ears, anyway).

More than holds its own on backline only gigs, and DI'd or mic'd on the bigger gigs.

Cheers for the advce @FinnDave I'm going to see how I get on with one, and then potentially add another in the future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acidbass said:

Just noticed this - I really like the idea of it actually!  All valve in a small package.  I'd love to try one out!

https://ashdownmusic.com/collections/heads/products/ctm-30-little-stubby

Yeah that does look cool. I wonder if a 30W valve head is enough on larger gigs with a loud band though...

Hello,

If anyone's interested in the next chapter of this, I went to Bass Direct today and tried a few different heads to go with the Super Compact. Narrowed it down to three - Markbass Casa, Genzler Mag. 800 and the Markbass Little Mark Vintage.

I came home with the Little Mark Vintage!

Also this Strandberg was a laugh, great bass, but not for me!

Jack

84678886_226265761842308_8693984340863877120_n.jpg

85052052_831087780648787_4848112088192647168_n.jpg

85069344_257112645306236_6025612539583266816_n.jpg

• Like 4

That's one cool rig! What swayed it for the LMV over the other two? The GenzlerM 800 has a pretty devoted following on BC, so the LMV must be going some if it held its own against such august competition!

PS if you're tempted by that Strandberg, check out the new Ibby headless range! 

• Like 1

@Al Krow The Genzler was a really versatile bit of kit, really liked it. In fact it did everything the LMV did and arguably more tbh, but there was just something about the LMV that I liked.

For the music I play i don't need tons of options, and with a P bass with flats it did the warm vintage vibe a bit better for my ears. Plus, I'd be lying if I said I thought it looked cooler. I do with the LMV had a mute switch though! It does have mute as an option on the footswitch but not on the interface.

Haha, I only took that picture to wind my bandmates up! They'd be mortified if I turned up at a rehearsal with that. Plus, it wasn't for me anyway. Nice bass, but not the kind of thing I'd go for.

Jack

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

Haha, I only took that picture to wind my bandmates up! They'd be mortified if I turned up at a rehearsal with that. Plus, it wasn't for me anyway. Nice bass, but not the kind of thing I'd go for.

Jack

Didn’t I see a comment on Facebook firing you because of the Strandberg? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Merton said:

Didn’t I see a comment on Facebook firing you because of the Strandberg? 🤣

18 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

I think it said “Get the f*ck out of my band” 😂 Open to interpretation really... 

Some people just won`t say what they mean...……………...

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

I think it said “Get the f*ck out of my band” 😂 Open to interpretation really... 

I think it's time to stage a coup and become BL yourself. You can then become a headless chicken to your heart's content. Head and heart beautifully in sync. 

• Haha 1