Why become a member? ×

NCD - Barefaced Super Compact

Jack_Stroud_Bass

Everyone will just suggest the amps they own, so I'll do the same. :)

Quilter BB800 or Peavey miniMax 500.

There is some logic though. 

The BB800 is small and lightweight, is very powerful and smooth with big lows if you want them, so perfect for the blues/R&B I play.  And it's CHEAP but excellent quality.

The Peavey miniMax 500 is small and lightweight, is very powerful and smooth with big lows if you want them, so perfect for the blues/R&B I play.  And it's even CHEAPER but excellent quality.

Frank.

Thanks guys.

@Chris B I've heard a lot of good things about the Quilter BB800, but I think I'll have to try one myself before-hand, cheers for the offer.

I keep going back to the reason I bought this in the first place, when I played through one at a gig which was paired with an Aguilar TH500. Was really surprised at how good it sounded.

@gary mac That's ace! Thinking I'll try this solo for a while, see how I get on and then potentially add another cab if needed in the future.

Ta,

Jack

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

R & B with a Fender P with flatwound strings.

6 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

I played through one at a gig which was paired with an Aguilar TH500.

That is a good combination.

Also particularly if you like trying out different stuff or are not 100% sure what to go for - consider a modular approach: a very clean 800W amp or power amp, and a separate pedal (e.g. Tone Hammer, Mojomojo, VT Bass, HX, SGFX Beta, whatever) - lot easier & cheaper to swap a pedal over than an amp.

Thanks @jrixn1

I am not really much of a pedal guy. I have a small mono pedalboard on which lives a tuner, octave, compressor and sansamp DI and even then I don't use much of it. I don't need it to be super versatile really- just need it to do the warm fat flatwound thing really well, but I understand where you're coming from.

Ta,

Jack

44 minutes ago, Jack_Stroud_Bass said:

@acidbass Yes that's a good shout. Hopefully I'll be able to try one out this weekend. I've heard good things about the Ashdown CTM 100 if anybody has any experiences with this?

Jack

I think it would possibly be a bit too much oomph for a single 12" cabinet, valve watts are real watts after all!

Predictably, I'm someone piping up with suggesting their own amp!  Rather happy with my Fender Rumble 800HD (going through a Big Baby 2); versatile EQ and the 3 voicing buttons plus overdrive channel make it very easy to alter on the fly.

• Like 1

There would also be a massive over hang with the CTM 100 too!

I would recommend an Ampeg PF500. S/H they are only about £200.  Can practice with them too as the have an aux in and a headphone socket.  Used to use one with a BFSC too. Looks nice with the cab too.

Also the Orange Terror, Randy Jackson Mark Bass or a Ampeg PF50t (all valve) work really well with it too!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I think it would possibly be a bit too much oomph for a single 12" cabinet, valve watts are real watts after all!

Not at all. It’s a bloody wonderful head and I gigged one with a single SC very successfully. Sounded superb, but not as superb as a CTM100 with Barefaced 4x10 :)

Since the OP mentioned class D heads I’d be inclined to check out the Ashdown RM800 EVO II which has just been released (the 500 is available to try in shops, the 800 is just a bit more of the same loveliness IMO).

38 minutes ago, Merton said:

Not at all. It’s a bloody wonderful head and I gigged one with a single SC very successfully. Sounded superb, but not as superb as a CTM100 with Barefaced 4x10 :)

Since the OP mentioned class D heads I’d be inclined to check out the Ashdown RM800 EVO II which has just been released (the 500 is available to try in shops, the 800 is just a bit more of the same loveliness IMO).

Didn’t know about the 800 EVO II, must have been napping. Although I’m not in a band at present - and even factoring in that my RM500 EVO II is both great and massively loud - I’ll have to check one out. Thanks for the anticipated dent in wallet 🤣

• Haha 1

@foxyFuze Thanks for the fender recommendation, however I'm trying to get away from that having just upgraded from the Rumble. Never heard an 800 though.

@pbasspecial Cheers for the pics, some of those amps look really good together and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't also thinking about the aesthetic!

Thanks @Lozz196 I haven't heard of that Ashdown either. I'm swaying towards markbass for some reason, but time will tell. Maybe also because Michael League and Joe Dart use them too!

1 hour ago, Merton said:

PS - if you lay the SC horizontally rather than vertically the CTM100 fits fine

Don't do that, the notes come out sideways.

I'm with @acidbass - if you like flats on a P (me too) I'd go a bit hybrid / valvy. My own choice is a GB 900 but there's a decent choice including the MB suggested above. 

• Like 1

I found that with my GK MB500 it wasn't quite loud enough to keep up with a heavy hitting drummer. So I bought the 800 watt version of the same amp and that does the trick.

My advice is to make sure you buy a powerful amp if you want to use it on it's own.

My post was a little tongue-in-cheek because it's natural that you can only recommend what you've owned or tried on a gig.

I honestly believe any amp will do the trick as long as it's powerful enough.  That's why I don't buy expensive USA brands, many costing over £1000!!  :)

Frank.