Why become a member? ×

Gibson EB-5 (2018 model) - Opinions?

NancyJohnson

I suppose my general disdain for anything non-Thunderbird from Gibson has cooled somewhat; I'm getting a little horn on over the 2018 EB-5 model, or more specifically the transparent black model.  I don't like the colour of the fingerboard, but that can be fixed with Fiebing Leather Dye.  There's a few about online, seem stupid cheap.

Anyone got one?  Opinions?

image.thumb.png.7dae7be6227b9530640095572174ab7a.png

I only have unfounded opinions on these, but I'll share them. It's the previous EB in a new body shape. Heaving owned one of those (4 string) I report that it's a perfectly acceptable bass. The pickups make a decent sound. The coil splits make a small difference to the sound but whether or not it's enough to get the end user excited enough to use them is another matter. Me, I wasn't that bothered about it. What really disappointed me about the EBs you're referring to (apart from continuing this ridiculous, confusing nomenclature) was just how meh it looks. Although it made some people want to put caustic soda in their eyes at least the previous EB was trying to be something. 

I do think the trans black ones were best looking of the bunch. 

IMO Gibson are at their best when they're doing their idiosyncratic thing. This EB looks like it could have been made by anyone, anywhere. I'm sure it's a perfectly competent bass, but for me merely competent isn't enough reason to get one. 

Don't pay attention to any of this subjective bullpat of course, but you asked for opinions, so there you go :)

I have an old EB and the sound it made was great. It just had a string spacing that was too large for me and coupled with an ugliness that I couldn't bear as I am terribly shallow,  it was not to be.

However, I think the newer ones get round the ugliness, but swap it for looking a bit meh. I guess meh is easier to live with than ugh, so if the string spacing is fine with you it is probably a very good bass.

The 2013 EB plays brilliantly and the pickups and bridge are the same and are excellent. I think the coil tap makes a real difference and turns it into a J sound, but I prefer it in its meatier format.

The newer shape didn’t grab me at first but it is reminiscent of the short lived Bunny Brunel which Gibson made. ( Kyle Eastwood has one) . ESP now seem to make his Signature model with an even longer top horn, so on balance I now quite like the new EB and reckon it will play well. Definitely like the black,  it are there any out there?

ESP Ltd version below.

37797C63-7324-48C1-AF8F-772E9D0B00B9.jpeg