Why become a member? ×

NBD - Jaydee Roadie II

JohnFitzgerald

This one isn't new to many in here, I suspect.
I don't think there are many Jaydees with a thumb rest and i'm sure this was once sold in here.

I had one new in 1987 and always had a hankering to get one again so finding this one locally at a price i could handle suited me fine.

They're not for everyone, but i like it. 

JD1.jpeg.8a28f5d95059ae4693dad65d1c8ffc94.jpeg

JD2.jpeg.d6058b7b29a28f6a84cba4bc003241f1.jpeg

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, MB1 said:

Indeed !

Think this is the bass I bought off Floyd Pepper on this very forum ?

cant remember now if that thumb rest was on it though

....PM me for serial no....if you like?

I want to say it was 110880 or something.

it went to Ireland after me - Mick?

the thumb rest holes were there...but was covered with a Union Jack sticker when I had it.

1 minute ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

I've spoken to Toby Diggins about a potential refinish, at which point the screw holes could be dealt with forever.

Does it still have the half-arsed attempt at infills on the bottom horn?

Was a nice bass - shame I wasn’t in my current band when I had it...would’ve been ideal.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

Does it still have the half-arsed attempt at infills on the bottom horn?

Was a nice bass - shame I wasn’t in my current band when I had it...would’ve been ideal.

One of them, yes.

It's in generally decent condition for such an age, all told. 

Toby though, he can work wonders.

This is a bass he's worked on before and after a refinish. Including the laminate stripes, which are part of the finish. The same bass.

I'm very drawn to having this done.

Yes, it's a very distinctive colour scheme, but that's fine with me.

JD3.thumb.jpg.456e35a970ec960d47d23c3f1b9ea107.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, JohnFitzgerald said:

One of them, yes.

It's in generally decent condition for such an age, all told. 

Toby though, he can work wonders.

This is a bass he's worked on before and after a refinish. Including the laminate stripes, which are part of the finish. The same bass.

I'm very drawn to having this done.

Yes, it's a very distinctive colour scheme, but that's fine with me.

JD3.thumb.jpg.456e35a970ec960d47d23c3f1b9ea107.jpg

He really can - I follow his work on Instagram 

• Like 1

On 06/02/2020 at 10:16, Skybone said:

Always loved the Jaydee basses, and that one looks like a fine example. Enjoy.

It's a 'decent' example I'll say.

i can see me having a the refinish though.
It could use the refresh, like a classic car might too. 

It's a personal choice thing between old and lived in or immaculate, I guess. 
I have immaculate basses and two lived in. 
I can see the two getting attention to make them 'just so'.

I've had two - both superb instruments.

First one came with a single pick up, quick call to John and it was booked in for the upgrade to two pick ups and all the other gubbins. IIRC from mine to John and back was about two weeks...great service!!!

Enjoy your bass..

Just remembered that I also had a Jaydee GA (George Anderson from Shakatak) another great bass I shouldn't have sold.

Nick Smith later introduced me to George at the LBGS with "You know George don't you??"...lovely approachable fella

Edited by TheGreek

On 09/02/2020 at 12:24, Defo said:

Beautiful basses, I had one in the 90s but the neck was irreversibly twisted just a bit but enough to force a resale - I'm told this was quite a common defect back then?

It was indeed due to a rogue batch of Mahogany and the fact that the demand for Jaydee basses outstripped the capacity for on-point QC (at that time).

I had one of these during the late 80s and the neck developed a back bow which would rival a banana. The only bass that ever made me cry. I'm over it now. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎08‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 18:54, Skybone said:

Been toying with the idea of ordering a Jaydee. Can't make up my mind though, torn between a Roadie II (passive) or a passive Supernatural, or a mix of the two...

One day maybe...

There is a roadie II passive for sale on the Andy Baxter website. Was my old bass as it happens. Had it totally refurbed by the boys in Brummie, new pickups etc. Nice price too

• 11 months later...
Just now, AndyTravis said:

What finish will it be?

After a discussion with Toby this afternoon, it's getting a new laminated headstock face.
It's also getting the multi laminate / cherry red treatment.

These pics aren't my bass, but the before and after colours are the same as I have planned.
(If you look at the figuring in the wood, you'll see it's the same bass.)

After.jpg

Before.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve had John work on a few things over the years. He certainly knows his onions, but rather marches to his own drum, so to speak.

I sent my first (used) Jaydee to him for a fretstone. I rang him a few times to see how it was getting on, and eventually it was done, so I asked him to send it and told him what day I’d arranged to be off work and so would be at home for delivery.

The day arrived, the bass didn’t. So I rang him and he said he hadn’t sent it yet. So I arranged another day, same thing. So I rang him again and arranged another day, same thing. Eventually I rang him up, pretty irate, and reiterated I’d had to take days off work (i.e. my holidays) each time (I lost I think 4 days in the end), which I had explained at the very start.

So the bass finally arrived and he’d changed the pickups. I rang him and asked why and he said the old ones had low output. Which would have been ok except I really liked the sound of it before and didn’t like the sound of it after. I sold it soon after. I later spoke to the guy it had been built for and he said the bridge pickup had been built completely differently, not like a normal JD pickup, so I’m sure that was a factor. That bass had one of the “wafty” necks. 

I bought another Jaydee later on but it was far too heavy - my back had gone by then - so that went too. That was a good bass otherwise.