Why become a member? ×

New Rig Time! Mesa and Ashdown content

longtimefred

So it finally happened, I had enough of carting my Marshall VBA 400 and matching 8x10 around the country and my band wanted to start using IEM. 

I got so fed up of lugging the big rig to venues only to have it chastised on stage because it had so much power and the room just didn't need it. That and I have been wearing ear plugs for years and just got fed up of not being able to hear my band properly I decided it was time for a change. 

After a few months of using IEM with my nice Audio Technica M3 system with some KZ ZS10 headphones (which are incredible) I was so happy to hear the band again and not to have ringing ears (even with ear plugs, the sound pressure levels we were omitting were hurting my dodgy ears) it was time to change the rig. I still needed a rig as I tried rehearsals and it felt too sterile without the feel of an amp in there and not all shows can be done without one and need some stage support. 

I knew I wanted to go to two 2x10s as I had run that before and really liked having the choice of how many cabs I need to take to a gig. The VBA only runs at 4 or 2 ohms so kind of limits what I can do with it. 

The day I decided I wanted to do this, I found up for grabs on here two Mesa PH210's at a steal of a price. I sorted the deal with the great guy who is Piers Williamson and picked them up a week or so ago. The rig sounded amazing with the Marshall but the amp overhung the sides of the cabs which just cannot happen 😂😂😂

I had kept an eye on the Ashdown HOD Geezer Butler signature head as I tried one at the guitar show in Birmingham when they came out and loved it. Found that PMT were doing 0% finance over two years and bought the thing straight away 

It's now safe to say I have an absolute killer rig that has so much power and clarity and also nice and easy to maul around as none of it is heavy. I am proper happy with how it all sounds and love it. 

I just need to find a rack to put it in and able to put a 2u drawer for my pedals in there as well and I will be sorted. 

Love it!! 

IMG_20200203_204447.jpg

Edited by longtimefred
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Great rig! Those Mesa PH cabs are some of the very best - I loved my PH212. 

Didn't quite follow the comment about ringing ears, was that due to the IEMs? 

Ah totally did not explain myself there did I! I have edited that now. So basically even with me wearing ear plugs, i have something dodgy going on with my ears (possibly Eustachian Tube Dysfunction) where I get tinitus so easily that even with my ACS custom ear plugs, the sound pressure levels we were blasting through our cabs was effecting them. Now we have dropped our amp levels way down and i can control the volume in my IEM's much better, my ears are thanking me a lot, i am hardly getting any ringing any more and i can actually hear everything properly! 

• Like 1