Why become a member? ×

Help! How can I try a Rob Allen MB2 in the UK?

Basilpea

I'm thinking about buying an MB2 5 string fretless but really need to try it first, California is a long way to go.  Any suggestions as to where I can try one somewhere in the UK?  I'm down south (Surrey) but could travel for a few hours to find one.  Also looking at Jon Shuker's Artist bass.

1 hour ago, Basilpea said:

I'm thinking about buying an MB2 5 string fretless but really need to try it first, California is a long way to go.  Any suggestions as to where I can try one somewhere in the UK?  I'm down south (Surrey) but could travel for a few hours to find one.  Also looking at Jon Shuker's Artist bass.

I’m in Purley and you’re welcome to try mine.

Thanks @Frank Blank for tagging me.

• Thanks 1

I don't either a Rob Allen MB2 or a Shuker Artist, but I have tried both, and I would go for the Rob Allen every time.

Shuker make some very nice looking basses, but I have yet to play one (and I've played a fair few) that I even remotely liked the feel of. It could be just me because everyone else seems to think they are great, but as someone who has tried them and cannot got on with them at all, I ought to point out that they are not for everyone, and you should most definitely try before you buy.

7 hours ago, Storky said:

I’ve got a fretted one and a fretted mouse. I’m in Redhill if you wanted to try?

That's really good of you Storky, but I'm like a fish out of water on a fretted bass now.  Luckily EZBASS has offered me a try of his fretless 5 which is right up my street so I'm going to him soon.  Thanks for your very kind offer though.

23 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I don't either a Rob Allen MB2 or a Shuker Artist, but I have tried both, and I would go for the Rob Allen every time.

Shuker make some very nice looking basses, but I have yet to play one (and I've played a fair few) that I even remotely liked the feel of. It could be just me because everyone else seems to think they are great, but as someone who has tried them and cannot got on with them at all, I ought to point out that they are not for everyone, and you should most definitely try before you buy.

That's interesting - can you remember what it was about the Shuker that didn't work for you?  I ask because I'm going to try one, and I might need to focus on whatever you found problematic.  Thanks