Why become a member? ×

UPDATE - Well Again! Unwell Ibanez Promethean P20 - can you recommend an amp tech near Manchester

Teebs

I have an Ibanez Promethean P20 bass practice amp which I use for quiet practice at home in the living room.

My wife got the carpets professionally cleaned yesterday - I didn't know that she was planning to do this, or I'd have moved the amp.

The amp was covered & unplugged, and there is no obvious sign of damp, but the amp is no-longer working. :(

There is power to the amp - the LED lights and faint noise can be heard through the speaker which increases as the volume is turned up, but no sound when either a bass is plugged in to the input (I've tried 3 different leads and 2 different basses), or MP3 player plugged into the Aux In (I've tried 2 different players and 2 different leads).

At present, the amp is sitting in a warm, dry room - I'm hoping for a miracle! :/

Is there anything else that I should be checking? Or doing?

Thanks in advance :)

PrometheanIll.png

Edited by Teebs
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Any sound out of the headphones socket?

No - only a faint 'hiss' - the same noise the amp makes when it's working.

I'm hoping that the damp atmosphere in the front room has got into something, but will evaporate off now the amp has been moved to a warm, dry room. :/

40 minutes ago, Teebs said:

I've had the back off to check fuses / obvious signs of magic smoke release, so I might give that a try SM.

Ta :)

You're looking to dry things off not cook them so take it steady 😁

You could also try filling a paper bag with a dessicant (rice would be my choice), put it in the back of the amp and put it in the airing cupboard overnight.

I'd be careful not to spill the rice though as it gets everywhere.....

• Like 1

Hmm... We have some progress.

The aux in socket now works & sound through the speaker. It wasn't doing that earlier.

Headphone socket also works now.

Main input still doesn't work - I think I'll leave it a bit longer, and if it still doesn't work, I'll remove the preamp board from the chassis & check the solder joints.

Thank you for your suggestions BC people :) 

4 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Let it warm up, as it has partly succeeded for now. Static electricity is also a real evil, just as humidity.

Yes - will do smiley

I really love this little amp - the tone is amazing for such a baby beastie!

So solidly built & pretty!

Hope I can fix it.

:)

Promethean Says "Hi"

533168771_prometheansezhi.thumb.jpg.9ce8f18e416f800a0658008f095ffecc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Have you taken legal advice over whether the carpet cleaning firm are liable for this?

:ph34r:

Well, I asked Mrs Teebs, but she was dismissive of my claim - said it would be impossible to prove. :(

Plus, it might've been me :/

Just now, Teebs said:

Well, I asked Mrs Teebs, but she was dismissive of my claim - said it would be impossible to prove. :(

Plus, it might've been me :/

'Might have been you'???

F^*£ me, you fold easily under cross examination! 😄

You could ask for a second opinion from @skankdelvar 's lawyer -- but be careful. He sued my mum's bungalow (and contents) off me for 'looking at him in a funny way'. 😬

• Haha 7

Have you thought of setting up a "go fund me " page ?

They are very trendy I believe ;you might be able to afford a decent practice amp then.:ph34r:

I'd send in a couple of bottle tops and a pack of 51  playing cards to help raise funds......I lost the 7 of clubs down the back of the sofa:crazy:

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

Have you thought of setting up a "go fund me " page ?

They are very trendy I believe ;you might be able to afford a decent practice amp then.:ph34r:

I'd send in a couple of bottle tops and a pack of 51  playing cards to help raise funds......I lost the 7 of clubs down the back of the sofa:crazy:

Twerp >:(

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Gee Electronics in Warrington would be your best bet. Problem is just to test and establish where the problem is will cost £25 - 35. As it most likely will then need a new PCB, the cost, (if you can get one), will likely easily outweigh the value.

Roland Lumby is another possibility. Have you checked the Amp Techs thread.

• Thanks 1