Why become a member? ×

Markbass F1 - lemon tart or fruit cake?

lownote

I'm on the verge of buying a Markbass F1 to replace my old LM2, simply because its local and a good price.   I'm reading good things about this head, but I also gather its default sound is neutral and quite bright (aggressive?). I mostly play fretless/flats/ P bass- as-faux-upright with a 12" MB cab, although I have been known to turn the tone knob up vvvveeerrryy occasionally.  Obv, I can twiddle knobs - I had to on my LM2. I s'pose what I'm asking is, am I trying a flat racer over the jumps here?  Is the F1 more suited to slap or funk or something quite bright, played on an appropriate jazz bass or something with rounds, rather my wuffly old school sound.

Edited by lownote12

A lot of people liked the F1, but it's the only amp I didn't like at all. I bought one after my LM2 and I found it thin and lacking warmth. After going through several other D class amps I found the replacement for my LM2, an Aguilar TH500.

• Thanks 1

Ive got a F1. I got it after getting rid of my SA450. Also had a LM2 at the time.

It has a different tone to the older MB heads, it does lack the warmth of the LM2, but it also has a more responsive feel to it (IMO). Not clinically 'digital' like some other heads ive used.

Its been my fav MB head by far. I have gone off MB for now though.

Sun-19-Jun-5405.jpg.2bc688d26f0d5f0ba5e29c93409c5502.jpg

• Thanks 1