Why become a member? ×

Envelope filter with a small footprint?

MJE

Two of the BC'ers most popular filter pedals with small footprints, seem to be the MXR BEF (band pass) and the Fwonkbeta (low pass). The MXR has more tonal variety via it's greater number of adjustable parameters; the Fwonk, to me, had a sweeter tone. The MXR is analogue whereas the Fwonk digital. I'd be happy to recommend either.

• Like 1

I can vouch that the Mu-Tron Micro-Tron is excellent and excels at finger style funk. It's pretty flexible and has a lovely slightly dirty quack. It's incredibly close in tone to an original vintage Mu-Tron III.

The MXR BEF is ever so slightly smaller and has a nice rubbery snap to it too. No Downsweep though and you really need that blend control to thicken up your sound as it is bandpass only.

I wasn't a huge fan of the Proton v1 (I found it to be an anaemic sounding Mu-Tron clone) but suspect 3Leaf has improved it since then. 

I tried the Fwonkbeta a few months ago and it sounds great with all the settings maxed, but less good at subtler sounds. It's digital but it sounds analogue and filthy. In lower settings you can also potentially blow your speakers with some of the lows it can output. Up sweep only too.

If you are looking to go even smaller than that then your choices are a bit limited. There's the 1590a sized Mooer Bass Sweeper which is a Bassballs clone and the Mooer Envelope Analogue Auto Wah. Both sound pretty decent on bass, but don't expect them to sound like a Mu-Tron or Moog or be particularly flexible! 😆

Also the harder to find Malekko Envelope filter which sounds pretty good if a bit limited. Other than those I've not found any 1590a sized filters that really bring the funk. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJE said:

Thanks for all the responses. The 1590a size is definitely what I’m looking for.

Anybody know of any of the aforementioned pedals for sale? (Mooer etc.) 

You will have to make a rather severe compromise there I'm afraid. Decent 1590A envelope filters are very thin on the ground. 

• Like 2