Why become a member? ×

Appealing the *removal* of feedback - eBay content

Jakester

A very random question here - I've just had a rather unpleasant experience with a seller on eBay. 

It was a poor transaction - he ignored messages asking about dispatch and then got all huffy when I opened a dispute. Anyway, I've just had some messages from him demanding I remove the negative (but factually accurate) feedback.

I declined - as it was factually accurate! 

Anyway, it's now gone - I received a message from eBay asking me to amend it, but I declined - I ticked the box saying it was accurate. 

Can you appeal against the removal of that feedback? It was entirely valid, I can show the emails and the dispute evidence etc.

<rhetorical> What's the point of a feedback system that can be arbitrarily amended if one party doesn't like it? </rhetorical>

• Like 2

I feel your pain but would let it go, it’s a very long time since eBay feedback meant anything because no matter how dishonest/crap/rude you have been, you can always get a negative feedback removed. As a business eBay want to keep the money moving, and too much negative feedback slows things down and lowers sale prices. There are better ways to spend your time than fighting a losing battle with them. 

• Like 2

I've been through this once a couple of years ago, I ended up requesting a phone call back from Ebay and explained the situation to them, they looked at the email communications and reinstated the feedback. This was with a big overseas seller and they'd appealed at local level (China) to have the feedback removed, but speaking to an operator actually in the US he agreed it shouldn't have been removed so it was reinstated, but a couple of weeks later I looked and it had been removed again, they were a bigger seller than I am a buyer so they won out - I'm not sure if you can actually talk to Ebay anymore they have made it almost impossible to get customer support you just go round in circles never getting anywhere.

It used to be that your negs would stay, as long as it wasnt insulting  e.g  " the w@nker never sent the goods '  or similar stuff, and although some of it may have been accurate, they could have the whole thing removed because of the w@nker bit.

But it seems now that feedback is a joke.  Especially since the great idea by  Nutbay big wigs many years back,  deciding you cant leave a buyer any neg feedback.  You now dont know which buyers are complete donkey butts, and there's a plenty of them out there

Over 17 years on Ebay, i've  bumped into so many  richards that i opened a 2nd account, and if they pizzed me around,  i used to wait till they had some stuff sale, and bid on it, then not bother paying so it messed them up.  See how they liked a taste of their own meds.

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 3

Well, I managed to get some sort of answer anyway - I was able to speak with someone and they advised that the “reason” the feedback had been removed was that it referenced a ‘dispute’, which is apparently a breach of feedback policies (though when I asked how I could find that policy, they couldn’t point me to it). 

However, they also reviewed the email correspondence exchange and agreed the seller’s tone was inappropriate and threatening, so advised they would put the account under review for sanctioning. 

As others have said, it seems entirely pointless to have a system that can be so easily manipulated, but at least I was able to get an answer relatively quickly. 

To be honest, I’ve been using eBay pretty much since it started properly on and off - and yes, it is full of Richards, scammers etc but it does provide incomparable exposure for sellers and a broad range of choice for buyers. I think you just have to factor in the aforementioned Richard factor. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fleabag said:

Over 17 years on Ebay, i've  bumped into so many  richards that i opened a 2nd account, and if they pizzed me around,  i used to wait till they had some stuff sale, and bid on it, then not bother paying so it messed them up.  See how they liked a taste of their own meds.

I have to say, I have considers this. The seller is clearly a business but operating as a private seller, so I did consider a second a/c doing a BIN on every item  and then not paying... 😈

eBay can be unfairly dictating users what to do and take robust action without thorough investigation.

I have tried to sell something on e bay after about three years of inactivity. Ebay decided to restrict my account to buy only. When I looked into it they said there was an unresolved issue between a seller and buyer at an address, my ex's address. The dispute was years after we split up , between her and a buyer.  I never lived there. I only had an item or two delivered there for convenience. I have raised this matter with eBay explained the circumstances but it was like banging my head against the wall. 

They would not listen no matter what.

As for the feedback, you should be able to leave a negative feedback. At the end of the day, it's called feedback? Surely here in Basschat it would be allowed as long as it's constructive, I feel with you.

I've been through the same thing - I left fair negative feedback, which was quickly removed.

I complained to eBay, and the sympathetic representative 'fessed up that if someone complains, they'll remove it rather than face the risk of legal action.

So basically, the feedback system is a sham. One more nail in the eBay coffin, IMO.

• Sad 1

On 04/02/2020 at 20:48, Bassfinger said:

Let it go.  Don't waste your life on stuff like that. Karma will see to it that they get theirs one day.

+1

Unfortunately, as Bassfinger says, it's just a waste of time. Best to move on and forget it. I know it stings a little but feedback on eBay no longer means anything and you can't win.