Why become a member? ×

The End! “Auditions for The 602...a diary.”

AndyTravis

Have had a message asking for another audition. He works in a hospital and didn’t get out of work until 11pm.

I’m not sure. Think the date pink torpedo up was down to the singer. And Last night I needed more than “I’ll be late”

Got a keys player trying on Tuesday next week now, so...if I give guitar guy 1 more opportunity and then he’s blacklisted if it’s another no show.

Shame - as he was really chatty and decent until last night.

I have some experience of this.  Formed a new band, the guitarist who was a nice enough bloke and a decent enough guitarist warned us that while the rest of us are keen to book into the studio for the same session each week, his work means that he might be late or may need to rearrange the days from time to time.  All perfectly valid - can't predict where he'll be working or what job he'll be on which might need to be finished that day (he did something in the building trade for a boss who didn't tell him what he was doing, or whether he'd be working, until the night before).  We're expecting that he'll be on time most weeks, or maybe gets there a little after the rest of us.

What quickly emerged was that he was always late.  Without fail.  We usually saw him for the second half of the rehearsal, and not infrequently for just the last hour.  Partly it was to do with him sometimes having to work late, but partly it was to do with him thinking that we didn't mind if we showed up two hours late each week - he'd told us that it might happen, so as far as he was concerned he had free reign to do whatever he wanted until two hours into practice.  Really didn't help his cause the week he let slip that he'd got home from work, done the weekly food shop, and then it would be unreasonable of us to expect him to come straight to the studio (where we'd all been sat twiddling our thumbs) before he'd sat down and eaten his tea

As our drummer eloquently put it while sacking him, it doesn't matter what the reason for him being late is, only what he offers to the band.  He could be off curing cancer - brilliant - but if that means he's not in the studio then he's of no use to the band, and the rest of us had got fed up of paying to sit around not playing in the studio pretty quickly

So I think you need to very clearly understand whether last night was a one off that will not occur again this century, or something with a good chance of happening every couple of weeks.  especially if it happens too late for you to cancel the studio.  And if it might happen on days when you have gigs arranged then can you take the chance?

• Like 4

So.

Original Guy who was a no show...

Arrived at 8.20pm (planned meet time was 8pm).

But, really nice guy - set up, played the songs he’d learned from the EP pretty well, added some of his own style. Had to keep telling him to turn up a bit.

We worked around a chord sequence with no direction other than the root notes.

Seemed to give a few ideas.

Second Guy arrived on time, wasn’t what I was expecting from the messages.

Seems to have good ideas, had learned two songs also.

just overplayed a bit...maybe a nerves thing?

Still none the wiser. Waiting to hear from the drummer and singer as we didn’t get chance to talk much as we overran.

Musicains are flakes.  Thats a given. Some are nice flakes and some aren't.  I've come to this conclusion after  30+ years in bands. I'm one of them flakes  :)

As for workloads outside of the band, we have that problem with 3 of us 7 and 1 one with young kids, so 4 out of the 7 can mess us up at times. 

Keys man can be out of the country  ( in fact last week he was in Turkey )

Guitarman builds and installs analogue Ex SSL desks of any size and sometimes goes abroad, though not as much as keysman.

Backing singer No.1  works in the blood dept of the NHS.  Does weird shifts

Backing singer No.2 has young kids and all that entails.

But i wouldnt swap any of them for anyone else.  They're a great crew, no egos, great sense of humour

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Musicains are flakes.  Thats a given. Some are nice flakes and some aren't.  I've come to this conclusion after  30+ years in bands. I'm one of them flakes  :)

As for workloads outside of the band, we have that problem with 3 of us 7 and 1 one with young kids, so 4 out of the 7 can mess us up at times. 

Keys man can be out of the country  ( in fact last week he was in Turkey )

Guitarman builds and installs analogue Ex SSL desks of any size and sometimes goes abroad, though not as much as keysman.

Backing singer No.1  works in the blood dept of the NHS.  Does weird shifts

Backing singer No.2 has young kids and all that entails.

But i wouldnt swap any of them for anyone else.  They're a great crew, no egos, great sense of humour

I’ve got 4 kids, singer us 3, drummer has 2. 

I really can empathise with people and their jobs, mine is absolutely amazing in many ways and frustrating - some days I debate working stacking shelves.

In all honesty, I want to hear the recordings back from tonight and see what’s what before messaging the first guy to say “thanks, but no”.

The drummer and Singer want to invite Second guitarist from tonight back next week.

I’m on the fence.

7 hours ago, Ricky 4000 said:

How about inviting them both back together next week?

Might be fun. 🤜

that's how Motorhead ended up with two guitarists after Brian Robertson left - they both ended up in the studio together and instead of starting a fight they were working on arrangements for two guitars so Lemmy thought "why not?"

I don't see the harm in inviting them both back if you're not sure, not together, but to see how they perform when they should be a bit more relaxed as they know you and your playing.  You can give them some notes (so, #2 could be told that he's overplaying a bit) and see how they react

Edited by Monkey Steve
  • Like 1

I’ve got audio of them playing 3 of the same songs. Haven’t had loads of time to analyse it.

Guy 1 (originally a no show, and then late...) is “better” - just plays cleaner, and smarter.

Guy 2 - actually a bit all over the show, sounded better in the room and “creative” might not actually mean “better” 😂

not as in the fence as I was - although I’m not sure either are right.

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

He strums one chord for two hours, wearing a beanie hat..? :shok:

Well...if he does it enough to make that kind of money 😂

I hope he means he has “feel” or “groove” (🤮) and that he can put the layer in that we’re missing.

Although it could be a shallow attempt to get my attention - in which case; it’s worked.

• Like 1

Hi.

Mr Roger's did indeed apply to join Mr Beedster's band. Unfortunately, the reply to audition was addressed to Neil Rogers and as such, remained unopened on his sideboard for a number of days, by which time, the audition date had passed.

Mr Roger's has recently applied to audition for a band known as The 602. Due to working the late shift in McDonalds he was unable to attend.

Mr Roger's wishes it to be known that with his bad luck as a jobbing musician, he couldn't get laid in a brothel with a guitar case full of fivers.

Yours sincerely,

Butt Crack, personal assistant to Mr N. Rogers

Edited by Bikenbass
  • Haha 7