Why become a member? ×

The End! “Auditions for The 602...a diary.”

AndyTravis

6 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

This thread has revived at an opportune time... My 80s band wants to start to audition keys players.... Wish me luck! Every keys player I've ever met has had a distinct serial killer vibe. 

I know a good keys player / serial killer too. Small world haha :D

3 hours ago, uk_lefty said:

This thread has revived at an opportune time... My 80s band wants to start to audition keys players.... Wish me luck! Every keys player I've ever met has had a distinct serial killer vibe. 

Good luck! We are after an 80s keyboardist too at the moment -- nightmare to find one!

12 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Think you’re taking “comfort fit” a little too seriously ;)

Honestly, sat thinking about the recipe for a good band. Listening to the H4n recording…

we’re laughing between every track, jokes a little gentle ribbing - we mess up and laugh, we joke about our ages, talk about family and friends in between.

And the playing, just works - we got a bit silly precious over ideas when we set about recording the second EP - and then the guitarist moving away and being stroppy over it.

There’s a big sound for 4 blokes in a room.

Didnt capture it on the ep.

but on the first run through, it was rusty…the second was like we’d not stopped - in fact probably better than our last rehearsals together.

But the personalities in the room.

Singer and I had a chat before we all met - differences put aside and agreed to relax the humour/ego end.

And as long as we can keep that in line…

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 3

My best mates a keyboard player. Fantastic.

He used to play Jump by Van halen with the keyboard behind his head. Mocking Rock guitar players 😄

Unfortunately he had to pack it all in as he contracted ME. Terrible shame. Could play anything.

In relation to 80's rock he reckoned 90% of the time all you have to do is hold down an E minor chord on a string sound 😄

• 2 weeks later...

Right.

Audition for keys player 1.

She was a lovely person.

Her keyboard was the £89.99 PSR she’d obviously received in 1998 for her birthday.

er.

She brought a flute.

She was better at flute. 

but the B key was “broken” so…she avoided that note. 

And a lot of flute is very annoying.

And yeah. She was a lovely person. 

But no second call - we need the singer to vet these people, seriously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Cosmo Valdemar said:

There's even a DRUM FILL button! I'd invite her back for another audition.

Oh it gets better - I had to show her how to get home after the evening…

”here, this is the a666 (no joke) and I’ll be turning right after this set of traffic lights offer the roundabout, you carry straight on that road into Bolton - use the sat Nav…”

’ok, great’

She followed me for 4 miles with full beams on, we came off the roundabout and I went to turn right. Wound my window down and gave her the hand signal to carry straight on…she stopped and pulled over.

Had to get the singer to call her and make sure she got home ok.

But I’d done the good deed of getting her on the right road.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Oh it gets better - I had to show her how to get home after the evening…

”here, this is the a666 (no joke) and I’ll be turning right after this set of traffic lights offer the roundabout, you carry straight on that road into Bolton - use the sat Nav…”

’ok, great’

She followed me for 4 miles with full beams on, we came off the roundabout and I went to turn right. Wound my window down and gave her the hand signal to carry straight on…she stopped and pulled over.

Had to get the singer to call her and make sure she got home ok.

But I’d done the good deed of getting her on the right road.

This is every keys player I've ever known. 

• Haha 1

My last keys player is now a really good friend. He is awesome in all respects, generous, helpful, a true GASaholic and a monster player with absolute perfect pitch. They are out there, but they are as rare as rocking horse poop.

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Our last keys player was a stoner who told us he didn’t need to know the key signature as he was primarily an ‘improvisationary’ player.

Obviously he must have been a devotee of atonal serialism

2 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Our last keys player was a stoner who told us he didn’t need to know the key signature as he was primarily an ‘improvisationary’ player.

How's that a problem?

We had a player who we didn't tell him the key or chords. Just sussed it with his ear. Sign of a good musician to me.

If you're playing originals and you aren't writing specific parts for your player I'd take that as an advantage.

• Like 1