Why become a member? ×

The End! “Auditions for The 602...a diary.”

AndyTravis

36 minutes ago, Ricky 4000 said:

Me too.

Andy, I don't like the old guitarist much, either! 😛

What you want, is a younger Andy Summers 👍

The old guitarist was just fine. 

The whole reason we’re looking for a new guitarist was that he’d left for Birmingham with a girl.

He’s messaged tonight to say that he’s still in Manchester as covid has cocked up his move.

plot twist.

2 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The old guitarist was just fine. 

Ah, what I meant was -- I totally like him. 😶

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The whole reason we’re looking for a new guitarist was that he’d left for Birmingham with a girl.

He’s messaged tonight to say that he’s still in Manchester as covid has cocked up his move.

plot twist.

Oooo! 😗

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

ah, what a shame... it sounded so promising from that recording!

Upon reflection; he’s a lovely lovely guy, really easygoing and smart.

He has a few cool riffs, but his main complaint last night was that he wasn’t prepared (we’d actually been due to see another guy).

I think the inflexibility - we were literally jamming ideas...nothing to prepare.

I dunno, Nearly there, but not quite. And yeah his recording was great generally. But we exchanged a few more ideas over the last week and I got that sinking feeling.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

He has a few cool riffs, but his main complaint last night was that he wasn’t prepared (we’d actually been due to see another guy).

I think the inflexibility - we were literally jamming ideas...nothing to prepare.

I dunno, Nearly there, but not quite. And yeah his recording was great generally. But we exchanged a few more ideas over the last week and I got that sinking feeling.

I guess I can understand from his perspective why he might feel a little hard done by, however, after listening to the EP you guys are neither a RHCP clone nor your typical pub covers outfit.  It's an originals band and if the creative process is to get in the studio and jam ideas out then he needs to be comfortable with that.  If he's not, or it's just a rehash of frusciante riffs then he's just not the right fit.

The other thing I noted from both the audition piece and EP was the bass is going to be a very prominent instrument and guitar needs to sit back a bit.  I thought your old guitarist did that well - I'm switching to Team Mike, he did that too!,

Edited by PatrickJ
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Upon reflection; he’s a lovely lovely guy, really easygoing and smart.

This is the guy who got back to you with a recording in 3 hours, right? That suggested he was able to come up with cool parts, but maybe he needs a bit of time to work out parts by himself and is not used to just jamming? Maybe his muse was not in that evening, we all get off days. 

Just trying to find a reason to give him another try... although if the rest of the band really did not like his playing, maybe they're right (but we all know that their judgement cannot be as good as the bass player's... ;) )

12 minutes ago, mcnach said:

This is the guy who got back to you with a recording in 3 hours, right? That suggested he was able to come up with cool parts, but maybe he needs a bit of time to work out parts by himself and is not used to just jamming? Maybe his muse was not in that evening, we all get off days. 

Just trying to find a reason to give him another try... although if the rest of the band really did not like his playing, maybe they're right (but we all know that their judgement cannot be as good as the bass player's... ;) )

I’ll level with you - his first rehearsal was pretty crap. Moments of “oh cool...” So I wanted to push on and see if it was just nerves.

The lads were “he might be alright” - and then last night he noodled aimlessly and tunelessly. And as @PatrickJ kindly pointed out - We need something more instant and someone with ideas - not Just an idea...

It’s rare I want to walk out of a rehearsal.

And instead of “tell you what, give me one more crack and I’ll sort it” I got a gobfull. So...yeah.

44 minutes ago, mcnach said:

There were two fundamental errors mentioned on the list, out of tune and out of time, having an off day is no excuse IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steantval said:

There were two fundamental errors mentioned on the list, out of tune and out of time, having an off day is no excuse IMO.

I think notes can be learned. Feel cannot...and when you throw bad note choice and bad timing together - GAME OVER 😂

19 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I think notes can be learned. Feel cannot...and when you throw bad note choice and bad timing together - GAME OVER 😂

True.

Years ago I was in a RHCP tribute band and we needed a new singer. The auditions were amazing, for all the wrong reasons. It's incredible how many people think they can sing. The one I remember the best was this guy who was very nice, great attitude, good presence... and not only he could not sing (although, to be fair, it's not like Kiedis is much better ;) ) but his sense of timing and melody was non existent. His phrasing was all over the place, out of key... We finished the first song and our guitarist, ever so polite, smiled and said "well, that was a song... it wasn't THE song, but it was some kind of song". The 'singer' took it as a compliment. 

We played two more to be sure, and we figured there was no way it would work. You can learn the lyrics if you don't remember them, you can learn many things, but if you don't have a sense for timing...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ll level with you - his first rehearsal was pretty crap. Moments of “oh cool...” So I wanted to push on and see if it was just nerves.

The lads were “he might be alright” - and then last night he noodled aimlessly and tunelessly. And as @PatrickJ kindly pointed out - We need something more instant and someone with ideas - not Just an idea...

It’s rare I want to walk out of a rehearsal.

And instead of “tell you what, give me one more crack and I’ll sort it” I got a gobfull. So...yeah.

If you put it like that... yeah, I mean, nope. :D

I find it hilarious when people don't take well being told that you went with someone else.

I've only had to block one person, but that was insane... he kept sending us individually messages on FB and collectively in a chat, telling us how we made a mistake not choosing him (guitarist) and that it must be because we were threatened as he was so much better than us (he wasn't very bad, but he had an awful super distorted tone that he would use for everything, no dynamics, no leaving spaces, a real 'guitar hero' -in his mind-) and he kept going. If you ignored him it was worse because he'd get annoyed we were not engaging with his... monologues.

As far as I know he may still be messaging us :D

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Monday.

Mike 7-8.30

Andy 8.30-10

interestingly...have just mixed their takes.

Doesnt work as well. But as we know, the remote recording idea means feck all.

I'm keeping my evening clear Monday and will eagerly await the next installment of the602.. the Auditions.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I'm keeping my evening clear Monday and will eagerly await the next installment of the602.. the Auditions.

Not really sure what the craic is as Greater Manchester is in a new local lockdown.

Now - we’re not rehearsing in anyone’s house so we should be ok...