Why become a member? ×

The End! “Auditions for The 602...a diary.”

AndyTravis

Maurizio came to play with us tonight...

great guy, gave some good ideas.

we have Mike next Wednesday, unfair advantage as we’ll be back in our regular space.

actually debating having two guitars...we’ll see.

Will be a tough choice if Mike does well.

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Maurizio came to play with us tonight...

great guy, gave some good ideas.

we have Mike next Wednesday, unfair advantage as we’ll be back in our regular space.

actually debating having two guitars...we’ll see.

Will be a tough choice if Mike does well.

It's Frusciante vs Klinghoffer.

Just listened to both recordings back to back and they are both great IMO. I'm looking forward to hearing how Mike does at his audition :)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

It's Frusciante vs Klinghoffer.

Just listened to both recordings back to back and they are both great IMO. I'm looking forward to hearing how Mike does at his audition :)

Do you know - that’s nail on the head.

I’ve said to the boys that 2 guitars would work.

Have been totally up front tonight with Maurizio. He’s actually excited to work with another guitarist.

I want to give mike a fair crack. He makes some interesting choices and I grew to like his version.

Played that track (the audition track) tonight and that instant “yes mate!!!” Moment when he kicked in - bearing in mind we haven’t been in a room since March. It was nice to have that buzz.

He’s awesome in that super chilled, laidback Mediterranean way. 

Nice guy.

• Like 1

I popped the two tracks into Reaper, panned 'em 35% Left & Right; they make complementary sense when playing 'together'. Even the 'wah' finds its place..! There's definitely 'space' for two guitars of that ilk. Thanks for sharing. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I popped the two tracks into Reaper, panned 'em 35% Left & Right; they make complementary sense when playing 'together'. Even the 'wah' finds its place..! There's definitely 'space' for two guitars of that ilk. Thanks for sharing. :friends:

Can you send me that, I’d be really interested to hear it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

Do you know - that’s nail on the head.

I’ve said to the boys that 2 guitars would work.

Have been totally up front tonight with Maurizio. He’s actually excited to work with another guitarist.

I want to give mike a fair crack. He makes some interesting choices and I grew to like his version.

Played that track (the audition track) tonight and that instant “yes mate!!!” Moment when he kicked in - bearing in mind we haven’t been in a room since March. It was nice to have that buzz.

He’s awesome in that super chilled, laidback Mediterranean way. 

Nice guy.

I just had another listen (those funky bass grooves have me hooked)...

I reckon you are on to something with getting them both.

I really like what Mike did in the second half of the track but he's very much sitting back in the mix and supporting.   Maurizio however was very present with his solo's and layering. They could complement each other nicely.  @Dad3353can you share that mix of the two together?

My only thing with Maurizio's take is he's obviously taken a lot of inspiration from the Chili's.  The first part of the track had me thinking of One Hot Minute and the 2nd Stadium Arcadium. 

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1

Wow. Thanks to @Dad3353 for his pure genius.

i managed it in GarageBand - didn’t want to mither him.

he was kind enough to send me the link - but for pure ease - here’s mine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_vB7JmwQsp07-WLri82DqhR547D0hdQE/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by AndyTravis

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_vB7JmwQsp07-WLri82DqhR547D0hdQE/view?usp=drivesdk

Wow, that mix sounded awesome.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Forgot to upload this...this is Mike, different approach. Took me 3 listens to “get” it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CJ1kqgfjjNvcwtX-R43kuaHuOIaSuXld/view?usp=drivesdk

I like that too. Maurizio's lead guitar is not that good, but he's got good ideas an I really liked everything apart from the lead. Mike is very interesting too and sounds really solid. What a nice problem to have! :)

Thank you for sharing the journey with us!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

THAT is interesting!!! They seem to have chosen parts that largely complement each other!

GET BOTH! :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I like that too. Maurizio's lead guitar is not that good, but he's got good ideas an I really liked everything apart from the lead. Mike is very interesting too and sounds really solid. What a nice problem to have! :)

Thank you for sharing the journey with us!

His lead feels like it’s been lifted from ‘Parallel Universe” off RHCP live at Slane Castle DVD.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fleabag said:

I think you came up with a great riff for the gitwrists to have a play on.  Plenty of space for them to install some great licks.  They did well, and i think you've found yer men :)

Yeah, it was very much pick up a bass and see what happens - the “chorus” is a regurgitated riff from a scrapped idea, the “Verse” was just what i played on the bass to check the levels.

the “middle 8” type thing was something in key just to hint that it might be time for a lead part.

I sent it to Matt and Max (singer/drummer) and said “will this do?” And off we went.

• Like 3