Why become a member? ×

The End! “Auditions for The 602...a diary.”

AndyTravis

1 hour ago, Burns-bass said:

Agreed. Plus when I was starting out I couldn’t afford anything more than a pointy headed Aria. 

2 hours ago, jacko said:

However,  if someone told me what instrument I could or couldn't play i'd be out the door in a flash. 

Yeah. I see that now - singer has told me off.

Edited by AndyTravis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Incidentally, @AndyTravis, I agree with those who recommend not mentioning the look of the guitar just yet. And I hope it all works out fine with him. I'll keep reading your updates with interest.

Sounded better with the Ibanez HSS rather than the HH setup of the Jackson. So...inadvertent win. 

• Like 1

Well. For some reason...

the singer and drummer have taken against Big Al...

we’re off because of coronavirus anyhow. Singer had symptoms. And we have been advised to do so to protect our baby iris who has a multitude of conditions.

so. Maybe back to the drawing board

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. For some reason...

the singer and drummer have taken against Big Al...

we’re off because of coronavirus anyhow. Singer had symptoms. And we have been advised to do so to protect our baby iris who has a multitude of conditions.

so. Maybe back to the drawing board

Ef Ef Ess.

Bands eh! Still with your little one taking priority you can forget all about it for a while

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stewblack said:

Ef Ef Ess.

Bands eh! Still with your little one taking priority you can forget all about it for a while

He’s unemployed and has no car. The rehearsal situation is that  we pay a week each. So it’s £30/40 a month.

He keeps mithering saying he can’t afford it. And while I completely get it...it was made clear where we rehearse and what it costs.

Wuite rightly, we want to get recording and that costs. It’s a practicality issue.

Just now, AndyTravis said:

He’s unemployed and has no car. The rehearsal situation is that  we pay a week each. So it’s £30/40 a month.

He keeps mithering saying he can’t afford it. And while I completely get it...it was made clear where we rehearse and what it costs.

Wuite rightly, we want to get recording and that costs. It’s a practicality issue.

Ah I misread the situation. Ok, row him out.

Well, I’m not into the idea of that really - he’s unemployed which could happen to us all...

But I think singer has him sussed, he’s not between jobs...he’s just a man child who hasn’t flown the nest...

And it’s going to hamper us somewhat.

2 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Get him to sell the skull guitar on Guitarchat, that will fund a few rehearsals until he gets a job.  Win Win :).

It’s a shame that, think it’s we were 17/18 year old lads piddling about it’d be okay. But not as we are...

had a similar situation once, but we put up with it  because we knew it ahead of starting the band (he wasn't wilfully unemployed, more that his work meant that he lived pretty hand to mouth at times) plus the rest of us were all working and a couple of us had pretty good jobs, so subbing him once in a while was OK.  To his credit, he never complained about the costs, or made it an issue up front like we had to pay for the pleasure of him being there, more that once in a while he's tell us that he didn't have any spare cash that week and could we sub him?  When we recorded a demo he made sure that he had his share of the costs

Plus he was an excellent singer

That was far preferable to one former band mate who never stopped complaining about how much rehearsals were, in a tone like he was doing us all a favour being there, as though we weren't also paying for the studio.  Either be in a band or don't be in a band.  Don't make it an ongoing whinge

• Like 2

21 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well, I’m not into the idea of that really - he’s unemployed which could happen to us all...

But I think singer has him sussed, he’s not between jobs...he’s just a man child who hasn’t flown the nest...

And it’s going to hamper us somewhat.

If the singer is right... good riddance. I'm not against helping people who have problems. One of the guitarists in my main band was struggling years ago and I had a chat with him about his absences... it turned out his excuses were just that, excuses, the reality is he was in a tough financial place and he could not afford it. It took me some convincing but he finally agreed and I covered his costs for a while until he recovered. No problem. However, some other people are in permanent bad situations... you know the type: they cannot afford rehearsals, but they always have cash for smokes, drink etc... I would not subsidise those.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Right, so lockdown has seen us inundated with offers from guitarists.

Handy. We can’t audition anyone. We can’t “jam” with them...

But one guy has kept constant contact. And can play. And has a car...

Apparently my local studio has reopening in the last week, with appropriate social distancing and cleaning routines introduced.  Maybe some where near you is doing the same!

Out of interest where are you looking for guitarists, JoinMyBand or some where else?

7 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

Apparently my local studio has reopening in the last week, with appropriate social distancing and cleaning routines introduced.  Maybe some where near you is doing the same!

Out of interest where are you looking for guitarists, JoinMyBand or some where else?

Well, word of mouth, join my band and we put something out on Facebook.

Our preferred studio wasn’t opening just yet. Unhelpful.

And Pirate studios announced reopening but only to solo artists and people of the same household...🙄

I went for a run (or what passes for a 39 year old man jogging a bit then stopping) and my nearest rehearsal studio is open. The rooms are massive so I’m sure they’re following the rules.

Even though the music was awful, it was great to hear it!

• AndyTravis changed the title to The End! “Auditions for The 602...a diary.”