Why become a member? ×

The End! “Auditions for The 602...a diary.”

AndyTravis

He looks cool. Well done!

We’ve just found a new guitarist. The best guy it turns out supplements his employment income by selling a bit of weeding the side. We had to interrupt one song as a buyer had turned up to meet him.

Still, he’s a lovely guy and he plays really well. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

He looks cool. Well done!

We’ve just found a new guitarist. The best guy it turns out supplements his employment income by selling a bit of weeding the side. We had to interrupt one song as a buyer had turned up to meet him.

Still, he’s a lovely guy and he plays really well. 

I’m still going to suggest a strat or something 

7 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

So you named your band after the only safe way out of Salford?

There's LOADS of Safeways out of Salford - nearest one being Manchester Deansgate. 

as far as I know the only Safeway IN Salford is just off Regents Road.

• Haha 2

I don’t know how that will sit , I think it could be a touch early to get him to put his pride and joy down and play some randomly bought “rock” guitar .

It might be getting him to question how much he wants the gig.

I don’t know the dude , but if it was happening to me I’d be thinking twice 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Likewise. If someone ever did that to me I would be out of there and never look back. I think this is something you just need to get over, Andy, because you’re playing with fire. It could backfire badly. You’ve got to trust he will do the right thing, as you see it, under his own steam.

Edited by Doctor J
  • Like 6

I auditioned for a band, git the gig, and almost within minutes of the first rehearsal the band leader/drummer started to moan about the fact I played a Ric, saying that he wanted me to play a Prevision. This made me more determined to play the Ric. 

The music was mostly late 70s/early 80s new wave, Clash, Buzzcocks, Stranglers, but there were also 90s indie tracks also, so either bass worked looks wise. Thing is it was a three piece and to my mind the Ric simply filled the space better than a Precision, but for him it was about the image. 

I pointed out to him that I wasn’t insisting he play a Ludwig kit, and he said he did t have to, it was his band! 

We argued about this and as a consequence about everything else. I did about five rehearsals and left before we did a gig 

If he's a great player and you get on together, let it lie until he's got his feet under the table. 

It might come up more naturally in conversation. 

When has any audience ever said 'great band, shame about the artwork on the guitar'? 

• Like 1

My band is a four piece, playing  all the 76 to 82 classic punk, so I've been mainly using precisions despite also having a ric which occasionally made an appearence.

While the precisions seemed to give me more of the sound required for the band ( bass, guitar, drums and singer), I was yearning to use the ric more because of the look, feel and sound.

Couldn't quite get the ric sound i was after until I got a sansamp yyz pedal last week. Used it right out the box for the domestic last friday, and the ric is now going to be my first choice!

Incidentally, the singer always moaned if I used anything other than one particular precision , which did seem to have the sound over the others............

I slightly disagree with some of the above, but only slightly.  Depending on the band, the choice of instrument can jar with the image - I remember seeing a very good Blues Brothers style R 'n B band back in the '90's - horns, everybody in matching suits...and the guitarist had a garishly coloured, pointy headed guitar which stuck out a mile and ruined the whole look and image of the band.  The audience (not just me) definitely noticed and disapproved

So it depends.  Personally I wouldn't speak to him about the guitar just because I didn't personally like it, as long as it sounds OK, and like others have said, if somebody asked me to join their band but told me I had to buy a different bass I'd tell them where to go.

If it really doesn't fit, tell everybody he's playing it "ironically"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko said:

This has been an interesting and enlightening saga and I do hope big al works out. However,  if someone told me what instrument I could or couldn't play i'd be out the door in a flash. 

Agreed. Plus when I was starting out I couldn’t afford anything more than a pointy headed Aria.