Why become a member? ×

My upcoming Newcastle Arena gigs... a kind-of diary thread

wateroftyne

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

You clearly rate the head. Looked at their web site. It’s not a great one to navigate. I think I put an R400 in my basket, but it didn’t say how much it was going to be.

Yeah, I’ve been burning Leszek’s lug for a while now about that. Best way is to drop him a message 🙂

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 1

Right... day one done. 9:30am-6pm. Knackered.

We got a decent balance, ran about half the set, sorted a few endings, and ironed out a few bumps, and identified something we're all going to have to work on for tomorrow.

Every time we run a tune, we can ask for monitor tweaks and they'll all be stored individually for each tune. That way, everything should be optimal for when we move into the arena.

One weight off my mind is we've run the song which is the hardest work from a bass POV, and all the swotting paid off... it's going to be fine. Thank goodness. 

Tomorrow we'll be joined by our lovely backing vocalists, and the brass lads. Looking forward to it.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Like 12

But is it actually better than your own basses?

Personally I'd be worried about catching something off that - the areas around the bridge and pickups look especially minging, not to mentioned that massive fag burn on the headstock. You are probably absorbing tar and nicotine every time you touch the neck. 😉

• Haha 2

Really? I’ve seen a hell of a lot worse than that.

One of the last ones I set up took me half an hour to get the crud off the fingerboard. The fingerboard on this looks pretty clean to me and the strings look new. If it was mine, I would leave it exactly as it is and enjoy the sound.

FWIW - the bridges on a couple of the CS basses I’ve had look very similar to this, so at least they were reasonably accurate 😀

Day three... we're starting to relax a bit. ha ha. One of the songs has a particularly complicated arrangement that we've had to pore over a bit, but apart from that we've been able to play through the rest of the set mostly without incident.

Only one key change surprise, which I consider to be a lucky escape.

Another day in the rehearsal hall, and then we're into the arena tomorrow night...

P2190222.jpg

P2190224.jpg

P2190230.jpg

P2190233.jpg

P2190235.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-1.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-3.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-4.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-6.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-9.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-10.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-11.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-12.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-16.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-18.jpg

S4S REHEARSALS 2-19.jpg

• Like 10

On 18/02/2020 at 14:12, wateroftyne said:

Cracking on today.. I’ve been distracted by this ‘63 that’s landed. It’s not mine, but I’m allowed to play it...

6AD4E3A6-A853-4625-901B-5B2082E0B1BE.jpeg

224307AF-FAFA-42D8-AD74-72FEFB13C43B.jpeg

405B99A5-DC97-446E-85C3-E59BC3B9EDD4.jpeg

7C7D5158-85BC-410E-94DE-EEE066B3CCB7.jpeg

0BBAC4F6-BA80-498E-9AB8-800A47B83FC2.jpeg

822C4ACD-0872-432F-9BF1-4438E3ECDEBC.jpeg

That’s some serious mojo... I’m sure it’ll buff right out! ;)

Just discovered the thread. What a great gig to be part of. Can’t wait for more updates!

Edited by TrevorR

Bricks would be plopped! 😮. Then again if you’ve already backed Trevor Horn I don’t suppose much else will faze you.

Great thread and very best wishes to you and all involved. 👍

Edited by Deedee
Typo

11 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

10pm and still here... so much AV kit to go in. As soon as the stage is clear we can get set up and do line checks ready for a 10am band call tomorrow... 

I'll sleep tonight.

There looks to be a fair bit of stuff to get on stage there. I'll bet the lead singer hasn't bought in as much as a mic stand! 😉 

I am enjoying your thread again this year...thank you for keeping it going...I'd wish you luck for the gig but I think you are more than capable of making your own luck from what I've seen of your playing!

Cheers all!

A little bit about the band.

MD and keyboard / Hammond player Alan Clark is a Rock and Roll hall-of-famer, inducted with Dire Straits.

He's also recorded with some bloke called Bob. Here he is in action:

Multi-instrumentalist Peter Tickell is a new addition to the band. He sometimes tours with a bloke called Gordon. And sometimes Peter Gabriel and Paul Simon. This is him on his main instrument, violin:

One of our lovely backing vocalists is Lorraine Crosby. You can hear her duet with a bloke called Marvin here:

Jings.

• Like 4