Why become a member? ×

NBUD!

Painy

New Bass Ukulele Day!!! 😎

For my birthday this year (which was actually the 2nd of January delivery from China combined with hold ups at customs has delayed this a bit) my lovely wife has generously bought me this wee beasty. 

It's a Musoo MiNi 5 string solid body electric bass ukulele that she purchased through Amazon. She actually ordered the bolt on version but they had run out of stock so the supplier offered a free upgrade to the neck through model (about £50 difference) - thank you very much!

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. I even took it to work with me this morning to play in the car on my lunch break (with a headphone amp plugged into the car stereo). 

It's not without its flaws as you might expect from a budget, Chinese made instrument (the fret ends were literally like razor blades before I filed them down - five minutes of playing after I first unpacked it and my left hand was like raw hamburger 😣).

After sorting that though I'm actually very impressed. Lovely smooth satin finish on the neck, a comfortable profile and the intonation is surprisingly spot on too. 

It's very quiet acoustically (which is actually an advantage as it doesn't annoy my wife too much) but sounds really good plugged in and there's a decent range of tones to be had from the 3 band eq. 

IMG_20200203_204401.jpg

IMG_20200203_204418.jpg

Edited by Painy
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, owen said:

Interesting

I am now mature enough to resist late night GAS, but a truss rod cover suggests it might make a candidate for a short scale metal strung bass and rout a pickup in there. 

It does indeed have a truss rod so could be a plan! 🤔😁

3 hours ago, Matt P said:

@Painy I really shouldn't be asking this but what is the string spacing at the bridge? I've already got a kala acoustic u-bass but a 5 string solid body is very tempting! 

Matt 

Well it's a single acoustic style bridge saddle so the rubber strings allow you to position adjust the steering spacing quote easily between about 15mm (on the left) and 18mm (on the right). It does seem to sit naturally in the middle at about 16.5mm though. 

2020-02-15_14.59.23.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2020 at 16:12, owen said:

If they were available through Amazon I would probably have bought one already. I love the option to return. 

Yeah, same for me, I've even got an amazon voucher that needs spending, I'd have to modify the saddle to keep the spacing at 18mm though. 

Matt