Why become a member? ×

February Composition Challenge - GET WRITING!

Skol303

February’s Challenge is upon us!

Here's the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month’s winner Dad3353...

meeuw1320758891_2090168c33.jpg
Usual rules apply:

✔️Entries must be < 5 minutes and written/recorded this month. 

No illegal samples or other funny business.

No bagpipes (although I’m willing to waive this if Scotland joins the EU and someone can fix me up with a Scottish passport; just saying...).

Deadline for entries is Saturday 22nd February.

Edited by Skol303
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SH73 said:

Didn't quite know how to approach this, but managed to record half a song, and wrote some lyrics this morning.

Excellent , I am sure everyone approaches things differently , but if you struggle to get inspiration for the second half , copy and paste the first , call it 2 verses, put your lyrics over it and you are done :)

• Haha 2

Here is my contribution to the February 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: myself..!
I was lucky, with this one. I came across a transcript of the interview, recorded by the Psychology Support Officer dealing with this sighting. The young fellow can't be identified, for legal reasons, so his voice has been removed, but the gist of the tale is pretty clear. It could be a dull listen, so I've 'enhanced' it, I hope, with some lightweight background music (drowns out slightly the humdrum babbling from the surrounding busy police station...). The full transcript can be found below.
Piano-Strings from Roland,  a Kontakt accordion and Superior 2 drums; the interview was conducted by Emma. All treated to light EQ and 'mastering' from Cockos, Neutrino and Izotope, using Reaper.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Alright son, let's go over it one more time.

Yes, I know; you've already explained to the other officers.

I've been asked to put the whole story into one cohesive report. Can we start from the beginning please..?

OK, you're walking home from school. On your own. Half-past four or so..? OK, fine.

You've a sandwich, left over from lunch-time.

What..? Yes, Mum's always make too many..!

Tuna..? Go easy..! You'll be making me hungry too..!

Oh, sorry; please continue. You were walking home, and then..?

Ah, yes. You see, this is where we get a bit confused. When you say. 'Bent down and snatched it away', don't you mean. 'Swooped down'..? 'Flew down'..? 'Came down'..?

It was on its feet, on the ground, and bent down. Alright, alright. That's what I'm writing down. Carry on. Please..?

You nearly fell down in surprise. So, you weren't already lying down and it bent over you..? No..? You nearly fell down, but didn't. OK, just checking. Continue. What happened next..?

It swallowed your lunch, then strode away. Not 'flew'..? Or 'waddled'..? 'Strode'. Alright. Strode away, with giant strides. Giant strides..? What, like an ostrich..? Could it have been an ostrich you saw..? OK, just how much bigger than an ostrich then..? Twice the size..? Ten times as big..? Are you sure that you know just how big an ostrich is..? OK, OK..! Stay calm, I'm just trying to understand. What happened next..?

It hopped over the trees..? What, a line of trees..? 'Hopped', not 'flew'..? I see.

And that's when you keeled over and collapsed..? The man that found you lying on the ground thought you'd had an accident or something. The ambulance folks didn't mention it, but are you sure you didn't get a bump on the head..? No..? OK then.

Yes, that's all for now; I don't want to tire you after this ordeal. 

Yes, we're still keeping an eye open for a giant seagull the size of Godzilla! Get some rest now. I'll have a chat with the doctors.

We'll soon get to the bottom of this..!

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

On 07/02/2020 at 20:32, Dad3353 said:

Here is my contribution to the February 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: myself..!
I was lucky, with this one. I came across a transcript of the interview, recorded by the Psychology Support Officer dealing with this sighting. The young fellow can't be identified, for legal reasons, so his voice has been removed, but the gist of the tale is pretty clear. It could be a dull listen, so I've 'enhanced' it, I hope, with some lightweight background music (drowns out slightly the humdrum babbling from the surrounding busy police station...). The full transcript can be found below.
Piano-Strings from Roland,  a Kontakt accordion and Superior 2 drums; the interview was conducted by Emma. All treated to light EQ and 'mastering' from Cockos, Neutrino and Izotope, using Reaper.
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Alright son, let's go over it one more time.

Yes, I know; you've already explained to the other officers.

I've been asked to put the whole story into one cohesive report. Can we start from the beginning please..?

OK, you're walking home from school. On your own. Half-past four or so..? OK, fine.

You've a sandwich, left over from lunch-time.

What..? Yes, Mum's always make too many..!

Tuna..? Go easy..! You'll be making me hungry too..!

Oh, sorry; please continue. You were walking home, and then..?

Ah, yes. You see, this is where we get a bit confused. When you say. 'Bent down and snatched it away', don't you mean. 'Swooped down'..? 'Flew down'..? 'Came down'..?

It was on its feet, on the ground, and bent down. Alright, alright. That's what I'm writing down. Carry on. Please..?

You nearly fell down in surprise. So, you weren't already lying down and it bent over you..? No..? You nearly fell down, but didn't. OK, just checking. Continue. What happened next..?

It swallowed your lunch, then strode away. Not 'flew'..? Or 'waddled'..? 'Strode'. Alright. Strode away, with giant strides. Giant strides..? What, like an ostrich..? Could it have been an ostrich you saw..? OK, just how much bigger than an ostrich then..? Twice the size..? Ten times as big..? Are you sure that you know just how big an ostrich is..? OK, OK..! Stay calm, I'm just trying to understand. What happened next..?

It hopped over the trees..? What, a line of trees..? 'Hopped', not 'flew'..? I see.

And that's when you keeled over and collapsed..? The man that found you lying on the ground thought you'd had an accident or something. The ambulance folks didn't mention it, but are you sure you didn't get a bump on the head..? No..? OK then.

Yes, that's all for now; I don't want to tire you after this ordeal. 

Yes, we're still keeping an eye open for a giant seagull the size of Godzilla! Get some rest now. I'll have a chat with the doctors.

We'll soon get to the bottom of this..!

That's great that Douglas , the story unfolds really well , very clever B|

• Thanks 1

On 08/02/2020 at 17:40, xgsjx said:

Mine is a different take.  It's a party at Steven Seagull's tiny house.  He likes his minimalist house music y'know.

Hopefully it gets your feet tapping like his do.

That Graeme, is a bloody big party in such a tiny house , love it , i've missed these from you , excellent B|

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Thanks to local flooding causing our rehearsal to be cancelled I thought I'd have a play with my new IzoTope Iris synth plug-in...  So here's my latest 1 improvised take of everything 2 minute mini epic. Who needs structure?

Most excellent bit of bird funk !

• Thanks 1

On 15/02/2020 at 21:22, lurksalot said:

I've had a couple of days , a little inspiration and ......and .....and........ I've learnt to sing* , Oh yes 

*:facepalm:         well it's relative I guess , I will do a bit of turd polishing tomorrow, but it is all recorded :D

No matter what I do I can't get to sing in the right key, imagine dragging a shipping container on a concrete road.

I gave up on autotune, well suppose my singing is what I call unique😄

35 minutes ago, upside downer said:
... and I am a punoholic.

Pun, eh..? Can't be having any of that, I'm afraid. Not puns. No, no puns here. Sorry.

Jokes, maybe, but not puns. For instance, believe this, if you're really gullible...

I was on a beach once, roasting a seagull over a small fire when I heard footsteps on the shingle, and looked up to see a Police Officer approaching.
"Hey there, lad, what are you cooking there..?"
I turned the bird slowly on its stick, then looked at the pile of feathers.
"Western Gull, I think."
The officer widened his eyes.
"Oh, you can't be eating those; seagulls are protected, you know..!"
I frowned.
"Come on..! There are so many; why would they be protected..?"
"Yes, well, that's the law. I'll let you off this time because you didn't know, but don't be doing it again, okay..?"
I pinched off a crispy piece of the carcass, and popped it in my mouth.
"It won't happen again."
He gave me a friendly but stern nod, and started walking away. After a few steps he stopped, and turned halfway.
"By the way, just out of curiosity... How does it taste..?"
I rolled the meat around in my mouth and thought for a moment.
"A bit like Peregrine Falcon."

(I can't tell a lie; I found this joke on Googull :| ...)

Edited by Dad3353
  • Haha 1

Got somethin' this month, luckily it's not spreading though !

Entry into this months basschat comp, using picture supplied by last months winner, (Dad), for some sort of inspiration !
Two rhythm guitars and lead guitar played on Fender Squire (through guit rig 5), tbird bass (through guit rig 5) ,and vocals all me. Ez drummer tries to keep it all together. All cobbled together in Reaper.

Phew made it.

Instruments.. electric guitar, bass, mic (is mic an instrument?)

Ez drummer 2 .. tweaked

Seagull sound..played on guitars

Vocals..squawked by me

Other effects.. cough etc. etc

First attempted mastering, sounds a bit louder on Soundcloud

Edited by SH73