Why become a member? ×

Lemon oil for rosewood / ebony fingerboard.

kevin_lindsay

Fir those who use lemon oil to clean / nourish your rosewood and ebony fingerboards, you know how a small 1oz bottle of lemon oil polish from Dunlop is around £5-6? 

Well, you can get a 16oz bottle from TK Maxx for £5.99!! Bargain or what??? 

I've just grabbed a bottle from my local branch. 

IMG_20200203_114901.jpg

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Good god, that's much better value. Now, I have been warned that you have to be careful about the type of lemon oil you wipe on a fretboard - apparently if it's too concentrated it can damage the wood - but judging by the label on that bottle, I assume it's safe to apply to your basses.

I might have to take a trip to my local Tk Maxx - in the meantime, do let us know if your fingerboard shrivels up and falls off, there's a good chap.

• Haha 3

It's really good stuff. I was recommended it by my luthier friend Chris McIntyre. If he reckons it's good stuff, then I'm sold (anyone who knows Chris knows that he's a real perfectionist in guitar matters). 

Chris bough a bottle about a year ago, and uses it every day on instruments. He says it's just like the usual stuff you get on the little bottles from guitar care companies. 

Edited by kevin_lindsay
  • Like 1

Yep, that's the one I've been using for a few years. Got mine on ebay for a similar price plus a couple of quid postage. I'm only late forties but I don't think I'll need to buy lemon oil again for the rest of my days. Unless it goes off of course. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kevin_lindsay said:

Fir those who use lemon oil to clean / nourish your rosewood and ebony fingerboards, you know how a small 1oz bottle of lemon oil polish from Dunlop is around £5-6? 

Well, you can get a 16oz bottle from TK Maxx for £5.99!! Bargain or what??? 

I've just grabbed a bottle from my local branch. 

IMG_20200203_114901.jpg

Nice one!! Which branch?

15 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I bought a bottle a couple of years ago - though I don't use it regularly I still have loads left.

You may find a large bottle is a life time supply.

This is a good point - I take a Fast Fret to gigs as more practical/less of a liability than the little Dunlop spray bottles. I don't think I've had to buy a new bottle of Dunlop in about four or five years.

That said, the big bottle might go a bit further than the little Dunlop if I also want to buff up some of the wooden furniture at home...