Why become a member? ×

Question to those with a Stingray Special...

fretmeister

I just noticed the specs say that the nut width has increased from the previous Stringray by roughly 1.5mm

The old one was 41.3mm and the Special is now 42.86

This is somewhat annoying as I like a jazz width neck of 38-40mm for most things and the SLO option isn't available anymore.

My question is - has the neck thickness on the Specials been slimmed down a bit? The increased width might be ok if the neck isn't as chunky as it used to be. 

Just thinking about a forthcoming significant birthday...

I think it may be just my imagination, but I find the maple boards seem slimmer (front to back) than the rosewood. Not sure if it’s because of the generous slab of rosewood, as opposed to a one piece maple neck/board, perhaps that slab just messes with my perception.

My previous 2015 rosewood was a nice neck, but my 2018 Special with maple seems far more comfy to me.  

Edited by Chiliwailer

Interesting!  1mm might not get noticed... but if it's already 3mm more than your ideal width, then they add another mm roughly, it is something you might feel.

I think I'm not that sensitive to these small adjustments --- I'd love, in life, to have a bunch of literally identical instruments at my disposal with only small variations in neck dimensions and nut width, so I could just play each until I found one that for some unknown reason felt best to me - then right down the specs and get all my basses in the future like that.

As it stands now, there are so many differences between every bass I play that I have no idea what causes me to slightly play better on one than another, etc.

No I can't tbh although I've seen various widths about anyway, my old 2002 Teal was quite narrow iirc, it's not something I've ever been hung up on, my Fender USA Jazz V is like a scaffold plank with strings with wide spacing at the bridge but I'll swap mid set between that and a my Ray 5 which some people find too narrow and tightly spaced!

• Like 1

IMHO the necks on the Specials do feel thinner than those on the standard 'rays. Whether they are actually thinner or it's just that the new necks are shaped in such a way to give that impression, I'm not 100% sure.

Regarding nut widths I'd keep an open mind as to whether the old specs that were previously stated were correct. I've had lots of standard Stingrays and I'm pretty sure they all had nuts of 42mm + (the 1999 ray I recently sold was 43.2mm). My point is if you think the previous Stingrays you tried were too wide and now they're going even wider, they're probably not. They've probably just updated the nut width specs to nearer match the actual sizes going out of the door.

When I bought my 4H Special the specs said the nut width was under 42mm (can't recall exactly what but it was '41. something' mm) but mine was 43.5mm. The newer 4HH Special that I bought to replace it has a nut width of 43.4mm.

It has the widest nut of all my basses but it feels the slimmest neck by a country mile!

EDIT - Just checked a couple of very well known stores and they still have them listed (wrongly) as 41.3mm wide!

Edited by Deedee
  • Like 2

On 03/02/2020 at 11:06, fretmeister said:

1.5mm is easily noticeable.

Loads of 45mm 5 string basses out there, but the Stingray 5 is 44.5, and just that 0.5mm is easily noticeable when stretching over for the B string.

That's awesome - it wouldn't be for me, I'm just not that subtle 🙂   but that's why companies like EBMM are so amazing, with those little details!

My SR4HHS has an ebony board - the neck doesn't feel any wider than my 2007 SR4HH - the finish makes it even smoother to play.

I'll measure it when I get home and let you know but to be honest, it's as comfortable if not more comfortable to play than my other Stingrays. 

There are some SLO spec ones available in the EBMM Vault - not sure if those instruments are available outside the US though. 

Edited by drTStingray

I have checked mine - it's just over 42 mm - and so are a 2003 rosewood board and a 2004 maple one.

However they all have rounded off edges and are hand finished so the neck profile may vary marginally. 

Im not sure whether the Specials have a slightly flatter profile - if so its marginal but the thing that stands out is the smoothness of the roasted maple with oil and wax finish - they really do feel great.

The neck profile and width was always a big plus for me right from the 70s - it seemed to fit (me) far better than the Precisions I tried, which seemed more clunky in comparison and certainly the ones with the wider neck profile. 

I still think it's an area where Musicman set the benchmark - the Specials have particularly nice necks to play.  

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1