Why become a member? ×

The Shadows on Sky Arts

NoRhino

' Love the Shads.

I dep for a band of guys in their seventies who play a lot of their songs. Great fun to play and the audience really enjoy them. 

There's a documentary currently on BBC iplayer about Buddy Holly. Very good in itself but Hank Marvin is on and he talks about the influence of Buddy, especially in respect of the Stratocaster.

Concerning the above band I dep for, the drummer brags that he's the only member who hasn't got diabetes. 

• Haha 1

I love playing instrumentals. In my previous band we would always include several Shadows' numbers and also a couple of Ventures'.

Riders In The Sky, Apache, FBI, Walk Don't Run, Perfidia, Sleepwalk, Blue Star, Nivram, Gonzales, etc.

1961 and I was 13 years old when the 'big' Xmas present was a Portadyne record player and The Shadows 1st LP. It got played to death. My brother still has it.

• Like 1

Seen the Shads' a few times. First was in the 80's when I was very much into my heavy metal.

Hank was/is amazing and could shred as well as any metal guitar player.

Obviously not during Apache (etc) 😝 but at times during the gig he let rip on guitar and wow 😎

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

If you listen to Man of mystery from 1960 Hank does a solo around 1 min 15 seconds in that pre dates Heavy metal by about 10 years. 

He never had time to practice playing in the early days as they were always recording or gigging.

Ive always believed Hank could play anything he wanted to, but with such a clean sound he limits himself. A true genius. Nothing flash, just universally appealing. 

• Like 1

I was heavily influenced by The Shadows and not their ‘60s contemporaries and their music still holds a certain magic for me. I shall check this program out as soon as. 

Back in the ‘80s when I was still a six stringer, I was looking at tremolo systems to see which one I got on best with. I was in a shop in London giving a Kahler (my favourite whammy) a fair amount of abuse, when I looked up and there was Hank B himself. I shamefacedly put down the guitar and beat a hasty exit for fear that I would offend his ears further. He was shorter than I’d imagined.

• Haha 2

I can remember looking at and listening to my dad’s copies of  ‘The Shadows’ and ‘Out Of The Shadows’, their first two albums, when I was a young kid. The former, particularly with the teasing glimpses on the front cover of Hank’s Strat, Bruce’s Tele and Jet’s Precision...

I always thought that ‘The Shadows’ is such a cool name for a band.