Why become a member? ×

Lower cost ear protection?

danbowskill

What's a decent sub £50 ear plug out there that doesn't suffocate sound and freqs? Not after a high dB blocker.

For years and years I've stupidly always played without as I've struggled to hear nicely with plugs, but in the minefield of different manufacturers doing them now they might be heaps better?

Cheers

I have tried various of the "mushroom" type plugs - eytmotic ER20 and various clones, as well as the lower profile ones with the little tab you use to remove them (which I find less easy to use that the etymotic type with the stems). All of them seem to do a similar job frequency wise - in that I find that the top end is reduced, despite what they all claim. However, I also had a set of custom moulds done and didn't find them that much better to be honest.

I used my ear plugs last week and although it made everything quieter it really sapped my enjoyment of the rehearsal. I only bought cheap ones mind, so I’m going to give the hear for musicians ones a try. I’ve been in the prehistoric ages for years with my approach to sound, determined to try and put at least one foot forward.

I use Alpine attenuating ear-plugs, or rather just one in my left ear that is drummer-side 😉. This works for me.  I still keep the vibe and my right ear seems none the worse for being un-plugged.  The Alpines I chose were bought for motorcycling but they also do music-specific ones that will presumably be better.  I've stopped biking so I'll try those next time.

57 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I used my ear plugs last week and although it made everything quieter it really sapped my enjoyment of the rehearsal. I only bought cheap ones mind, so I’m going to give the hear for musicians ones a try. I’ve been in the prehistoric ages for years with my approach to sound, determined to try and put at least one foot forward.

The ACS I linked to above have a flat response, and because they fill the ear canal they don't sound weird when you sing with them in. They're life-changers for me.

I've had good results with these ACS Pacato ones - they sound a lot more natural than other ones i've tried (Earpeace and Flair Audio)
They're dirt cheap and the claims about reducing occlusion seem to be valid. Worth a shot....

https://acscustom.com/uk/products/hearing-protection/universal-fit/pacato-19

8 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I've had good results with these ACS Pacato ones - they sound a lot more natural than other ones i've tried (Earpeace and Flair Audio)
They're dirt cheap and the claims about reducing occlusion seem to be valid. Worth a shot....

I find that style really hard to remove - I can never find the little "flap" to grab on to them with.... though I haven't tried that particular brand before. The flap looks longer than on other brands - might give them a go!

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

I've tried a few but Happy Ears are the best if you're on a budget. Actually do what I always looked for ie drop overall volume leaving the sound of the band intact 

They seem very good value!

2 hours ago, RichardH said:
11 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I find that style really hard to remove - I can never find the little "flap" to grab on to them with.... though I haven't tried that particular brand before. The flap looks longer than on other brands - might give them a go!

Just push them really hard and they come out the other side.... 😊

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, stewblack said:

I've tried a few but Happy Ears are the best if you're on a budget. Actually do what I always looked for ie drop overall volume leaving the sound of the band intact 

They sound great, Stew, exactly what I’m after as my current ones just sap all life from the sound.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/hearing-protection/earasers-erk-2s-renewal-kit-small?gclid=Cj0KCQiApt_xBRDxARIsAAMUMu9kwfS5iFqdFKMNQMgMgoC5KmhqOsbiINX-2ufjWWAVZP2js-uQxrIaAgZiEALw_wcB

I was using these at NAMM as a lower-impact alternative to my ACS ER15s. Very comfortable, very transparent, and the link I've posted takes to you where they're discounted from £34 to £13.90!

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

They sound great, Stew, exactly what I’m after as my current ones just sap all life from the sound.

they come in different sizes apparently most folk are medium but old dumbo here needed large. I honestly thought they weren't working first time I used them! 

Fitting them is a little odd as they don't go in that hard or far but I swear by them now

https://www.happyears.co/uk/shop/

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried Alpines - good but not refined, same for Flare Audio titanium ones on pure volume reduction

ACS custom moulds are an absolute life changer both for rehearsals and for gigs especially being in the audience, it’s one of those things - hearing is so precious, don’t mess about with it, go custom moulds

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just bought a set of Alpines. Much better than the other set I had (no idea what brand). They do just what I wanted, reduce the whole overall sound levels, no dramatic reductions in any specific areas - or at least none that I noticed. The drummer I’m working with has a pistol shot sound to his snare and after a rehearsal without ear protection it was telling on the the old lugs, a rehearsal with the Alpines and no problemmo.

I had my ACS moulds taken on Friday so looking forward to getting them when there done. I got them through the musician hearing scheme as mentioned before so for a good price. I recommend everyone try to get them through it. It only takes a few minutes to apply and worst case scenario is they say no!

If you have some evidence of your performing and can provide a reference (if they ask for one) from a band member who can vouch that you gig  you can get custom ear plugs for £40.

My singer and I used each other as a reference and just had our impressions done last week. His were only £30 as he's a MU member. See the attached thread link.

I bought some nice 20dB ones but they were far too effective.

For Christmas my daughter asked for a pair of V-moda faders (much loved by techno and D&B lovers, apparently) which are supposedly 12dB so I got myself a pair. Reduced from £29 to £19 at Bax.

They do seem to keep clarity and I think the lower attenuation is more practical.

https://www.v-moda.com/us/en/products/faders

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...