Why become a member? ×

Amplification (have we gone wrong)

Toddy

I’m surprised at some comments regarding the amps not being loud enough, what volume do some of you guys play at, it must be deafening.

I play at the weekends in a pretty loud rock band, mostly in large pubs and our guitarist plays at a loud volume through his rig, my Markbass master is hardly on and is plenty loud enough to be well in the mix with the rest of the band, anymore and I would be overpowering everyone.

Here is my EQ from our last gig.

B9D781E3-4768-4E85-9251-93A0113281B4.jpeg

7 minutes ago, steantval said:

I’m surprised at some comments regarding the amps not being loud enough, what volume do some of you guys play at, it must be deafening.

I play at the weekends in a pretty loud rock band, mostly in large pubs and our guitarist plays at a loud volume through his rig, my Markbass master is hardly on and is plenty loud enough to be well in the mix with the rest of the band, anymore and I would be overpowering everyone.

Here is my EQ from our last gig.

B9D781E3-4768-4E85-9251-93A0113281B4.jpeg

That's the early combo head, I think Class A/B?

30 minutes ago, steantval said:

I don't think anyone is saying they're not loud enough. Its about the way the big old amps make you feel the bass and the way they react to your playing in a way modern lightweight amps dont do so well.

Edited by mrtcat

The OP has obviously found a sound he likes (which is good), but has fallen into the trap many players do, deciding it's better than other gear. . . . . for everyone else. If the thread was about valves then an equal number would be jumping in and decrying non valve gear.

People go all "black and white" when they start comparing the old days. Amps didn't sound better when they were all valve or SS. Some sounded good but many didn't and the cabs we had to use with those amps could reduce the quality of their sound significantly. Also, there are a lot of players with fantastic gear that sound very average and even just plain bad. So you've still got to make good gear sound good with your EQ choices and technical ability.

I have a Thunderfunk which is SS and sounds magnificent, but I also have a D class Aguilar AG700 which is equally great sounding. The last valve amp I owned was a Mesa 400+. If you put all those amps in front of me I'd chose the Aguilar, because IMO it makes such a great sound. Better than the others? Don't know and don't care. It sounds good enough to be my main amp for the last 3 or so years.

• Like 2

Oddly enough i can't get to grips with the AG500 in rehearsal studios. Can't fault it really but i'm always tweaking it.

The studio also use EBS HD360 or 370 amps which i'm really enjoying. All thru Ampeg 810 cabs. I generally start with everything flat and adjust as required.  

I have the Reidmar 750 which is unbelievably loud for a class D and probably the only Class D i've liked. Its a back up amp for my Mesa.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I had the MB 121 Combo with ext cab and it was loud enough for a 70's covers band. I def wouldn't say it wasn't loud enough but i always had the feeling that it lacked something. 

That something would be "heft"

Dave

This was the MB set up I used to have, I have now scaled down to a 2 x 15 MB cab rig.

That original set up had a massive spread and oomph, quite a few sound engineers at bigger gigs said they wouldn’t bother to di me as my back line was cutting through no problem.

E59C8F9B-4512-4A48-852F-1C75CBC65D8F.jpeg

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

Over the years I've owned, played, and gigged, valve, old, modern, heavy, and light (including Trace and Ampeg)

For the last few years my TechAmp Puma 500 has been my amp of choice.

Plenty of heft, sounds great and I can feel the bass through my 2x12.

IMO. YMMV.

(and very good for metal ;) ) 

• Haha 1

I wholeheartedly agree. I've been using class D amps for a number of years, but back in December I was at rehearsals and there was an SVT 8x10 that I had to use. Man, it was amazing. It took me back to when I had a Hartke 8x10 and a 1000 watt head. Sheer joy! All the dynamics were there, and there was a real punch that I hadn't felt in years. I was recently on tour with a well known artist and used his cabs, which were absolutely stunning. He had 4 4x12s, and the sound was monstrous. Unfortunately it's so impracticable unless you have a road crew and good storage, which this artist clearly has. I'd happily make a switch to the good old big rigs, but reality dictates that for ease of use and space, IEM's is the route I am taking. However, I will be keeping an amp so if the opportunity arises to play through a big rig, I'll have that option to do it.  

14 hours ago, peteb said:

I haven't got a later LM3, but based on the difference in volume between my Italian 500w rated LM3 and the 800w Mesa D800 (spoiler, the Markbass is MUCH louder and generally has more umph), I'm guessing that there would be. Bear in mind that I actually liked the basic tone of the D800, it just wasn't loud enough and didn't cut through. 

Re: MarkBass - I used to own both a 500w (Class A/B) Momark and 800w (Class D) Momark.  Both very good amps but when I compared them at a soundcheck with exactly the same settings and felt that the Class A/B had more weight to the notes. 

I've since owned an Aguilar AG700 and Berg B-Amp.  Both are Class D and there's no lack of weight to the notes (or heft) with either and both of these are a step above the Class A/B Momark, and also a Trace 400SMX that I owned (IMHO etc).

Once you find YOUR tone, sound, etc etc then that's all that matters. It will make you feel happy, play better and rejoice in the connection you feel through your instrument of choice and amplification.

I made my bass connection early on when I discovered Spector basses. They work for ME and to my ears sound, look and feel superb. My amp connection took much longer. I played Vox, then Trace, then Ampeg, then TC (with dabblings into Mesa/Peavey/SWR etc) but finally, after 30 years, found my 'sound' using GK (preferably 80's/90's 400RB & 8000RB heads but the new Legacy range do it for me too) and 12" speakers. That's MY experience, they make me feel a positive musical connection and I wouldn't expect anyone else to feel exactly the same.

If it's a decent bassline with groove then people will dance... regardless of whether it's through an old Peavey or a brand new D-Class micro head.

Anything else is just argumentative b*ll*x....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If my lightweight class D head and neo cab are robbing me of some 'heft' or other such thing, then to be honest I'm willing to play that price.
The best sounding cab I've had was my old SWR Triad. It weighed nearly 100lbs...
I was recently looking with some keen interest at an old Trace RAH600SMX, until I looked at the specs -- it might be an absolute sonic monster but it's 15 times the weight of my current class D minnow... 
I simply can't go shifting those sort of weights around any more, my back would be destroyed within a month.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

Ok, I'll bite too!

I feel for smaller indoor venues where the crowd are right on top of you (almost where the bass backline doesnt need any pa support) then big rigs, valves and big cabs or indeed A/B amps have that 'feel' over class d - no doubt about it. Best description I heard was calling them 3D.

I still remember from 20 years ago seeing 2 different bands in 2 different small pubs and those amps - an ampeg of some sort and a fender bassman - are the best thing I've ever heard. Ever.

However, bigger venues with sound guys and pa support it becomes a compromise. Lug an svt an 8x10 in and great. However they'll manipulate your sound to how they want. Not how you want it or think how it is. If they're di ing you from the amp head, then what's the point of taking a 90kg 8x10? If they're micing you as well, then fair enough, but they'll still have you sounding how they want. And quite right too.

Truth be told I'd love an svt an 8x10 every gig. But once you've done your back (and you'll know when you have - years of agony) you do compromise. Comprimise is smart. Its class d and neo 4x10 for me for ever. (And a helix stomp). And weirdly people do dance and enjoy themselves!

Played some big festivals last year all using a tiny 2kg class d amp di'd to desk and not a problem. Loads of volume and tone on stage and good sound through pa. Took one trip to get all my gear on stage and 1 minute to set up and take down.

I still hanker for a huge rig - but compromise wins.

Even now and then I get surprised from peoples choice of amps. Youd think all big bands and stadium bands have massive rigs - but I saw one of those gig rundown on youtube the other week with John Taylor from Duran Duran. And what is his amp of choice on a massive world tour?? A tiny Peavey megamax! And he HAS road crew!

Use what works for you and your band.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I started using lightweight stuff about 10 years ago and swapped my full fat ABM and GK heads  for a Markbass LM2 and LM3. 

For me the Markbass heads had much more usable volume than the Ashdown or the GK head, thru old school heavy cabs (an Aguilar GS410 and a Schroeder 1210r). I used the Markbass/Aguilar combination live on outdoor gigs on big stages and it was terrifyingly loud.

Ive sold the Aguilar and just replaced it with a BF Big Twin 2, which is super light and hellishly loud with the LM head. 

I love big valve heads and 8x10s where they’ve been provided as festival stage backline etc. But I wouldn’t dream of owning one as a jobbing bassist having to load and unload his own kit each time. 

50 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I would like an old school monster tube head with a 4x12 cab.

I'd also like to play prop forward for England.

Some things are simply out of reach.  :)  

I could play prop forward for Scotland and it still won't help the doomed. :laugh1:

• Haha 1