Why become a member? ×

Amplification (have we gone wrong)

Toddy

9 hours ago, Davo-London said:

All we use in church is in-ears and a click track and frankly it terms of enjoying the experience, forget it. 

99% of my gigs are on in ears. I absolutely love them. So much better sound. Stereo in ear mixes are the best so i can pan everyone based on where they stand on stage and stick bass plum down the middle. I only really get to use backline for the acoustic set and when I do odd deps. 

That does look good!

The Fearless F112 is an outstanding cab and drinks power to get the best out of it. 

The Handbox has a devout BC fan club too. 

My only hesitation is that the R-400 puts out 200W or so at 8 ohms, so ideally I'd use it with a 4 ohm cab so as not to have to drive it hard, or pair the Fearless with a higher output amp. But I'm guessing you're not finding that an issue? 

Must admit I would love it if Handbox released a R-750!

I'm a big believer in matching basses to amps generally.

I bought one of the first batch of GB Shuttles imported into the UK in 2007 and haven't wanted for anything else.  Great amps and I love how firm and articulate the mid range is.  But not great for every kind of bass.  I used Smiths and Spectors mostly for gigging - the Smiths had a scooped midrange which the shuttles compensate for nicely.  The Spectors have a firm midrange which again the Shuttles accentuate.  Before then I had GK RB700 which was also great with the Smiths but perhaps not so good with brighter basses (although for picked rock bass, that probably works very nicely).

I've also had stunning results from Musicman Stingrays and a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, the low end seemed to match nicely - like a velvet glove.  Bright sounding basses like Status Empathy's and Modulus Quantums are very nice with SWR SM400's.  Fender P with Ampeg SVT is a classic. Warwicks and Musicman Stingrays seem to go well with Warwick amps and of course the Jaydee/Trace amp and cab combo is now legendary.  Jazz basses seem to go very nicely with MarkBass amps and cabs -  good for accentuating midrange snarl although they do tame the highs a bit too much for my taste.

The other great thing about the Shuttles is that the power section is made by B&O and available separately on Ebay.  I had one pop on me a while back and, being located 600km away from the nearest western trained amp tech in Hong Kong, it was a piece of pie to order the module and install it myself.  Just needed connecting up and all the connections were solderless.

YMMV of course.

8 hours ago, Toddy said:

private messages, lets bury this thread,,,that's why the pros avoid this forum,,bloody shame, as the bass community deserve better,,good luck with your  gig at the dog and duck,, 

Mildly condescending......there is generally the possibility something to learn/reaffirm or share from most people on here regardless of length of time playing /perceived ability of skills or them playing the White Hart or White Hart stadium.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Toddy said:

private messages, lets bury this thread,,,that's why the pros avoid this forum,,bloody shame, as the bass community deserve better,,good luck with your  gig at the dog and duck,, 

Whilst I understand that occasionally posts on here can be a bit sarcastic, even pompous (and I've been guilty of it myself once or twice) please keep in mind that for every bass player that may have achieved the dizzy heights at which you are fortunate enough to have found yourself, there are many thousands who play in their bedrooms, in rehearsal bands, or whose peak of achievement might be a gig down their local pub.

If you have done much better, you are to be applauded, admired, and even envied. But please show a bit more deference to those who are what could be termed in the lower echelons of the bass community. We far outnumber you. I'm a 'pro'. I played in a pub last week. I got paid a modest amount. I've also played in Hyde Park, on national TV in many different countries, and to crowds of 20,000 and more on numerous occasions. This may sound like I'm blowing my own trumpet, but I've never said any of this on here before, the reason being that it has nothing to do with anything. I'm a just bass player, and part of a community, as you are. If people do, in fact 'avoid this forum', it's for their own reasons, not because they're 'pros'.

Edited by lowregisterhead
  • Like 15

10 hours ago, Toddy said:

Funny, I know plenty of pro players on this forum. Not that your statement has anything to do with the thread anyway... 

You may want to look at your communication skills (and your overuse of the 'comma')?

Edited by cetera
  • Like 3

On 02/02/2020 at 20:34, Toddy said:

so after 20 yrs of making people dance and have a goo d time, im still convinced, this is a load of bollox, 

I only make drunk wedding guests dance once a month, so my opinion probably doesn’t count, but your posts come across as arrogant and rude.  It’s nice to be important, but it’s more important to be nice.

• Like 2

See, this is what happens when you let amateurs use computers and the internet. It should be for Pros like me, you know, people who built the internet and made it dance. Everyone else should just have to write letters.

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

11 hours ago, Kiwi said:

I've also had stunning results from Musicman Stingrays and a Mesa Boogie Bass 400+, the low end seemed to match nicely - like a velvet glove.  Bright sounding basses like Status Empathy's and Modulus Quantums are very nice with SWR SM400's.  Fender P with Ampeg SVT is a classic. Warwicks and Musicman Stingrays seem to go well with Warwick amps and of course the Jaydee/Trace amp and cab combo is now legendary.  Jazz basses seem to go very nicely with MarkBass amps and cabs -  good for accentuating midrange snarl although they do tame the highs a bit too much for my taste.

Remember how utterly gorgeous your Smith sounded through my Eden amp? That was a tone to die for.