Why become a member? ×

Dingwall D-Roc

Dov65

6 hours ago, Henrythe8 said:

Not that anyone asked for it... but a bit of follow-up. 

It's coupled with my trusted Ellefson sig strap, and the balance is really great. The fact that it hangs "from the inside" and not the horns allows for no neck dive despite the shape. Lightweight tuners help, also. 

Still struggling with the fanned frets in the upper register where it's really weird. But I'm getting there. 

I found that the pickup selector is my favourite feature on the bass. Better than the tone pot that I barely use once I set it. BUt the diversity you can have with the selector is great. I'm having a great time playing all styles (yes, I admit it might seem weird to play I Want You Back on this bass, but it works.) 

It was kind of a leap of faith to purchase a Fanned Fret with no prior experience, especially with this shape, but I'm glad I made it. Dingwall is clearly way up in the quality department, even with this "budget" line. 

My main tone is the middle pickup soloed. Occasionally engage beast mode (all 3) if i'm cranking some drive too.

Shameless pic from last week's gig:

image.thumb.png.d6f6977b223a9f8f8ea1f0c2ac748eec.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, cocco said:

This is in no way helpful, but I was having a similar argument with myself and ended up ordering the Ibanez BTB605MS.

Played one, good budget substitute for a Dingwall, but very different sounds from the pickup spacing.

The whole range of Multiscale of Ibanez is looking quite appealing. The offer some range in the multiscale with medium and short scale. The headless designs are great. However there is a certain appeal to the D-Roc shape that Ibanez is missing. 

Another point that makes - for me - the difference is teh Banjo/Mandolin frets. Some say it's key for a woodier tone, but glissandoes and bends are sounding better. 

I must admit I'm already looking at a second D-Roc 5, but full passive. 

• Like 1

I had a play on the ibanez ehb's (1005ms and 1505ms) and found them to be excellent, but the the Dingwalls just felt more special, and I don't know why. Everything about the Ibanez I prefer (slightly shorter scale, headless, nordstrands, excellent upper fret access, cheaper), but the Dingwalls are, well, Dingwalls!

• 1 month later...

Hey you all D-rocers! Is there someone who swapped the pickup selector? I want to modify mine to be able to have neck and bridge pickups in parallel. So there is the question. Can I just install a kill switch only for the middle pickup so that in the all 3 PUs position I with the middle disengaged  to get the desired tone? 

9 minutes ago, Ingwarmuller said:

Hey you all D-rocers! Is there someone who swapped the pickup selector? I want to modify mine to be able to have neck and bridge pickups in parallel. So there is the question. Can I just install a kill switch only for the middle pickup so that in the all 3 PUs position I with the middle disengaged  to get the desired tone? 

Not that simple, you will need a modified switch from here: https://www.fretnation.com/custom-6-way-rotary-selector-switch?fbclid=IwAR3Wn-hMH4ujYsHGuPsFMbsAiYAxnTNfK2IN6uqy8ZhMRViFZF8bj2oPy20

I was looking at doing it on mine to add the option you want, as well as neck pickup alone. I will get round to it one day.

Edited by Machines
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ingwarmuller said:

You could, you could put it on a pull switch or something if you didn't want to drill holes

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

You could, you could put it on a pull switch or something if you didn't want to drill holes

Of course I don't wanna drill holes. I was thinking of push/pull switch or replacing the tone pot for middle PU only volume pot or make another control cavity plastic cover with built-in kill switch only for the middle pickup. I just wanna know is it possible to just mute or shut off that pickup or I have to put it's resistance in the scheme such as a some kind of a resistor or just a piece of wire. 

22 minutes ago, Ingwarmuller said:

Of course I don't wanna drill holes.

Obviously I have no idea what you want to do, so there isn't an 'of course' here.

22 minutes ago, Ingwarmuller said:

I just wanna know is it possible to just mute or shut off that pickup or I have to put it's resistance in the scheme such as a some kind of a resistor or just a piece of wire. 

Looking at the switching of the droc, yes, it seems pretty simple that if you put a switch where the middle pickup connects to earth you get what you want, except when it is off, it would mean 1 & 2 would be the same, 3 would be nothing at all (no pickup) and 4 would be the two outside pickups. When it was on it would be the same as it is now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/07/2022 at 23:43, Woodinblack said:

Looking at the switching of the droc, yes, it seems pretty simple that if you put a switch where the middle pickup connects to earth you get what you want, except when it is off, it would mean 1 & 2 would be the same, 3 would be nothing at all (no pickup) and 4 would be the two outside pickups. When it was on it would be the same as it is now.

So

I made a new cavity cover and installed a kill switch for the middle pickup and it sounds amazing! 

IMG_20220817_214630.jpg

• Like 1