Why become a member? ×

Dingwall D-Roc

Dov65

Seriously considering having a look at one of these, i'll be paying Bassdirect a visit later on in the year to try one out but thought i would ask if theres any owners on here ? Can't seem to find much reviews online except Andertons...Cheers 

On 02/02/2020 at 17:37, Dov65 said:

Never saw one in the flesh either, sure standard versions are built in China & the custom range Canada, looking at £3k plus @ Bassdirect web page

They’ve a D-Roc custom 5 at BassDirect at the minute. I don’t think they’re doing D-Roc standard 5s yet

On 05/02/2020 at 16:04, CameronJ said:

D-Roc Standard 5s are on their way. Bass Direct have some on order I believe!

And one of those belongs to me 😉

Paid for a 5 string with the three pickups and the aquamarine sparkle last autumn. Should be here sometime after April.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Best value Dingwall on the market as well, solid bridge upgrade with these ones.  £1,500 odd really isn't bad at all.  I love the look of them, didn't enjoy playing them too much though.  Upper fret access is much better than the D Bird but still not great, and there's only 20.

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Best value Dingwall on the market as well, solid bridge upgrade with these ones.  £1,500 odd really isn't bad at all.  I love the look of them, didn't enjoy playing them too much though.  Upper fret access is much better than the D Bird but still not great, and there's only 20.

Don't see that as an issue myself. Don't spend ANY time up around the dusty end... 

On 02/02/2020 at 15:25, Dov65 said:

Seriously considering having a look at one of these, i'll be paying Bassdirect a visit later on in the year to try one out but thought i would ask if theres any owners on here ? Can't seem to find much reviews online except Andertons...Cheers 

Guitarguitar in Edinburgh has a couple in stock, not quite so far to drive from Fife.

Edit. D'oh! Just seen this was posted in February!

Edited by BillyBass
  • Like 1

On 22/10/2021 at 15:59, Skybone said:

Love the look of the D-Roc, especially the sparkly "Aqua" one above.

Seems a bit weird that the pickup switch doesn't have the options for the two outer pickups together.

The switch they use in Combustions/NG3s have the option for neck and bridge pups together, but this sacrifices the middle pup solo option. Both versions of the switch can be purchased separately at Bass Direct so it’s simple enough to go for the one you prefer.

I quite like the options the D-Roc switch gives, personally. I’ve had to resist the urge to order one now that the 5ers are available! Pretty convinced I’ll own one at some point.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a vintage burst 4 string on Saturday, the first thing I noticed is how light they are, I mean it like you're not wearing it light. It didn't take long to get a good rock sound sorted when I got it home, the output for a passive bass it pretty hot so any drive has to be carefully added. Between the pickup selector and tone control I could get some very usable tones. It's not as versatile as other Dingwall basses but it is very easy to play and does the job I want it for very well. And it is a striking shape that sits well on the body with no neck dive and as someone who's not mad about sparkle finishes the vintage burst suits me.  

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

"Zombie" Thread Alert. 
Pulled the trigger on a HellBoy limited Edition. Very tempted I was by the onboard distortion, And I was eager to play a fanned fret, and I wanted an "offset" shape. Ticked all the boxes. 

Should arrive by the end of the week. 

• Like 5

280944994_10159698458074192_622198547772

Received yesterday (Thank you Anderton's and DHL). 

The beast is quite impressive in real life. It's a bit more complicated than what I thought to get acquainted with the Fanned fret system, especially trying to play in the upper register (wher we can agree a bass player shouldn't be playing 🙂 )

The bass arrive all set up and almost in tune. Which is great. The bypass between passive/active is seamless, volume-wise. No difference in volume which is quite a feat as generally as soon as you add distortion, you need to lower the volume. 

Not impressed by the tone knob (not a huge difference between on and off, but has a great effect when the disto is on), but the pickup selector works wonder. 

The neck is perfect. Fo me. Meaning it's not as thin as you might expect from a "modern" instrument. The 18mm string spacing adds to the fullness of the neck. 

It'll need a bit of time in order to get fully acquainted with this one, but the assembly the overall quality, the very broad rang of tone between active, passive and 4-ways pickup configuration makes it a fantastic instrument. 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Not that anyone asked for it... but a bit of follow-up. 

It's coupled with my trusted Ellefson sig strap, and the balance is really great. The fact that it hangs "from the inside" and not the horns allows for no neck dive despite the shape. Lightweight tuners help, also. 

Still struggling with the fanned frets in the upper register where it's really weird. But I'm getting there. 

I found that the pickup selector is my favourite feature on the bass. Better than the tone pot that I barely use once I set it. BUt the diversity you can have with the selector is great. I'm having a great time playing all styles (yes, I admit it might seem weird to play I Want You Back on this bass, but it works.) 

It was kind of a leap of faith to purchase a Fanned Fret with no prior experience, especially with this shape, but I'm glad I made it. Dingwall is clearly way up in the quality department, even with this "budget" line. 

• Like 4