Why become a member? ×

A portable rig for jazz - any advice/preferences?

julietgreen

As I said in the ampless thread, I'm not happy with my rig. Today I tried it out and the cab was rattling. It's not a problem I can sort out now and I'm going to have to go out for this evening's gig with a medium sized Laney which doesn't do justice to the bottom end. I dislike and can't get rid of the mid/high buzz it gives. I have asked if I can try going through one of the kb player's powered speakers, which is something I do in rehearsals and the sound at that volume is quite sweet. I don't know what it'll be like for the gig volume though.

So I may be looking to get a new set up. I'm female and not a weight-lifter. That's a limitation! I don't want something enormous, but conversely I don't want a buzzy little speaker either. It needs to sound sweet for jazz and pop vocal accompaniment, e.g. that smooth, round sound, no distortion.

What do people think? What do you use if you're in a similar group?

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

Take a look at the Markbass CMD121P - it’s an easy lift and has plenty of power, far mor than you’ll need for what you’re doing so you won’t get the distortion mentioned.

Ah, funny you should say that. I'm just looking at the Markbass stuff now. And thank you for the advice. An easy lift is idea. It's amazing how many cabs/speakers are made that have non ergonomic designs so that we risk breaking wrists or dislocating thumbs.

you'll get a lot of folks recommending the stuff they use.

I don't own one, but have played through one on a few occasions and couldn't believe how good it was.

Exactly as Lozz suggests a Markbass CMD12!

I think for your needs you'll be hard pushed to beat it without going into the endless cycle of cab/amp swapping & testing

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

I think for your needs you'll be hard pushed to beat it without going into the endless cycle of cab/amp swapping & testing

I'm thinking along these lines now. What else do I have to spend my money on anyway? I'm not into soft furnishings.

• Like 1

The CMD 121P is a great suggestion.

If you're also open to considering separates then a BF one10 or BF Super Midget cab plus an amp head of your choice would work really well IMO. @fretmeister will hopefully be along shortly to confirm.

Going to be a fair bit more pricey than the MB combo though.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Was that the Batsignal?

I’m very happy with my Markbass Marcus Limited head with a Barefaced One10 (or a pair if we play outside).

Im playing in a variety of ensembles but the main one is a 25 piece jazz big band with loads or horns and reeds. It’s plenty loud enough.

I definitely recommend the Marcus Miller models over the regular ones. The EQ is much much better.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I definitely recommend the (Markbass) Marcus Miller models over the regular ones. The EQ is much much better.

^^ This. 

The CMD 121P has the older Markbass LM2 or 3 amps in. 

But you're paying a lot extra, as I said, for a newer MB amp plus a BF cab and you can potentially easily solve the EQ issue with a decent EQ pedal, if you want to get the CMD 121P.

Edited by Al Krow

Ok, here comes the inevitable love for the Fender Rumble range. My 100 watt version is loud enough for gigs that aren’t crazy levels, is lighter than a light thing and comes in at a very respectable price, currently around £250. 200 or even 500 watt models are both good value too.Whatever your budget, certainly worth a try out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, casapete said:

Ok, here comes the inevitable love for the Fender Rumble range. My 100 watt version is loud enough for gigs that aren’t crazy levels, is lighter than a light thing and comes in at a very respectable price, currently around £250. 200 or even 500 watt models are both good value too.Whatever your budget, certainly worth a try out.

Lot of love for the Fender Rumbles - no question. Interesting thread today on a mod to the 100:

And the TC BG 208 / 210 are also worth a look, although not in the same class as the MB combo IMO (I had the TC BG 115), but ridiculously good value.

• Like 1

Ok so I’m recommending something I use but only because I’m really pleased with it- have a look at db cabs, a small British firm. I have the ten inch speaker version, 7 kilos, sounds smooth not super loud or bassy but works well for loud rehearsals with my 8 piece and no problems at pit volume either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Bass > Fishman Platinum Pro (or preamp of your choice) > QSC K.12.2, you’ll never look at the bewildering choice of amps/cabs again.

48275544-5F74-4400-8D1E-939039D028C4.jpeg

That’s interesting; I’ve got a couple of Rob Allen basses and use the fishman pre, but know nothing about the QSC; I’ll have to investigate! 😉

11 hours ago, julietgreen said:

I have asked if I can try going through one of the kb player's powered speakers, which is something I do in rehearsals and the sound at that volume is quite sweet. I don't know what it'll be like for the gig volume though.

If you like it, why not get the same one yourself.   If not loud enough, get a louder version of the same model, or use two of them.

Plenty here to consider, but this thread cannot be complete without mention of the PJB gear. Recently got a 6B (6 x 5" ported) and it is outstanding. Using it with a TC550 head (or sometimes a GB 900 hybrid for a bit of valvy warmth). The 6B is a fair lump around 20Kg, but the new version 4C is worth a serious look: 4 x 5" ported, 11Kg and tiny. I love the sound of the multiple 5s especially the high mids and sweet tops, plenty of bottom-end too. I'd happily add a second 6B and cover all my needs, but for reasonable volumes one 4C should do very nicely.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Bass > Fishman Platinum Pro (or preamp of your choice) > QSC K.12.2, you’ll never look at the bewildering choice of amps/cabs again.

48275544-5F74-4400-8D1E-939039D028C4.jpeg

Another great idea.

Personally I'd take the Line6 HX Stomp over the fishman for traditional bass use, but there are loads of great preamps these days.

Some powered cabs can be quite heavy though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Another great idea.

Personally I'd take the Line6 HX Stomp over the fishman for traditional bass use, but there are loads of great preamps these days.

Some powered cabs can be quite heavy though.

I no longer have the Fishman, sold it to get a Stomp! Haven't updated my pics though!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, julietgreen said:

OK so on reflection and research, I've decided to give the Markbass Traveler 102P a try with my Trace head. I've gone ahead and ordered one and I'll let you know how I get on.

What Trace head have you got?

If it's in a big wooden case you can have it remounted in a lightweight rack bag which will save you some more weight and make for a bit of an easier lift

• Like 1