Why become a member? ×

The Addams Family Musical- a roasting.

scalpy

On 02/02/2020 at 11:37, scalpy said:

I know what you mean but I’m thinking seven brides, South Pacific, half a sixpence etc where it’s not massively challenging. 

I can attest to this. Pretty much anything Rodgers & Hammerstein or Gilbert & Sullivan. I used to call it ‘crotchet, rest, crotchet, rest’ music!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ianrendall said:

I can attest to this. Pretty much anything Rodgers & Hammerstein or Gilbert & Sullivan. I used to call it ‘crotchet, rest, crotchet, rest’ music!

Until you turn the page and its unison with the brass for the dance number....

Dullest show I've played is carousel. West Side is almost the champion for hardest but sunset boulevard takes it for one number, lets have lunch. Pages of incessant register changes, key changes, time signature changes, you name it changes! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scalpy said:

Until you turn the page and its unison with the brass for the dance number....

Dullest show I've played is carousel. West Side is almost the champion for hardest but sunset boulevard takes it for one number, lets have lunch. Pages of incessant register changes, key changes, time signature changes, you name it changes! 

Actually I thought Sunset was much harder than West Side - maybe because all of the tricky figures in 7 etc were not nailed at all by the string section and the dummer was at the far side of the pit. Actually I thought that Sunset was a triumph of making it as complex to play as possible for no discernible reason - West Side Story grooves all the way through, Sunset for me was just meh. I'll not do it again if asked! 

1 hour ago, dodge_bass said:

Actually I thought Sunset was much harder than West Side - maybe because all of the tricky figures in 7 etc were not nailed at all by the string section and the dummer was at the far side of the pit. Actually I thought that Sunset was a triumph of making it as complex to play as possible for no discernible reason - West Side Story grooves all the way through, Sunset for me was just meh. I'll not do it again if asked! 

Absolutely, west side is impeccably arranged, sunset clever for clever's sake. With the rather aptly named 'Car Crash'. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So far not too bad. Had to miss band call because of flooding, couldn't be sure i could get back to hereford, turns out no as it happens. 

Tempos are a lot slower than i was expecting, having some ensemble difficulties after probably being too reliant on a metronome practising but overall its a great show and its well arranged for a 5 string, so lots of opportunities to go low without getting glared at by the MD. I've also picked up the show again for a week in July as well! 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...