Why become a member? ×

The Addams Family Musical- a roasting.

scalpy

22 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

As any Rocky fan knows it’s simpler and quicker to do it in a montage.

Ah but montages have music, who’s provided that and how much did they rehearse it? There will be a rip in the time space continuum!

9 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

What sort of basslines will you have to learn, 🙂

Like a lot if modern shows they throw the kitchen sink at it, so the opening has a five eight section that's quite quick, then there's a number with lots if Latin rhythms all over the neck, some funk stuff and some swing sections as well. Second act has plenty of tacet though so some relief before another quick number with time signature changes and syncopation. The metronome is on this morning i can tell you!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scalpy said:

Like a lot if modern shows they throw the kitchen sink at it, so the opening has a five eight section that's quite quick, then there's a number with lots if Latin rhythms all over the neck, some funk stuff and some swing sections as well. Second act has plenty of tacet though so some relief before another quick number with time signature changes and syncopation. The metronome is on this morning i can tell you!

That sounds really interesting, and quite a challenge, I know some of the Latin lines can be really fast , I’ve tried a few myself and had trouble keeping up as I’m not a particularly fast player,  good luck scalpy ☝️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you manage it? If I’m working on a tricky head for example I’ll break it down into 2 bar phrases.

They’re not really that complex (just quick). I imagine internalising an entire score must be a huge challenge! 

Guess that’s why theatre guys are so respected.

19 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

How do you manage it? If I’m working on a tricky head for example I’ll break it down into 2 bar phrases.

They’re not really that complex (just quick). I imagine internalising an entire score must be a huge challenge! 

Guess that’s why theatre guys are so respected.

With difficulty! I’m not a full time pro, and my training was actually on the trumpet, so a lot of my ‘ability’ is knowledge transfer. I was lucky enough to have a really good big band leader at uni who taught us how to think about how syncopations belong to beats, so for instance the last semiquaver of beat one anticipates beat two. (it’d make more sense if I could play it to you!) So I start with the rhythm, then my chord/ scale knowledge is pretty good so I rely on that. What makes reading on the bass trickier than the trumpet is that on the trumpet 95% of the time there is only one valve combination per note. On the bass you can play a major scale from 1st 2nd and 4th position for example, so my biggest issue is planning the journey over the neck so that each section links smoothly. Full respect to expert sight readers! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Being a veteran of many professional pit shows over the last forty years, I can't remember one being..."the usual I V I V Fodder"... :D

I know what you mean but I’m thinking seven brides, South Pacific, half a sixpence etc where it’s not massively challenging. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ambient said:

You’re actually learning it, memorising it?

From my experience things can change when you get along to the technical rehearsals, that why you often see pencil annotations on the scores. 

Oh god no, there's 100 pages and its in 2 weeks! I'd love to be at the point i could play without looking at the neck but there's some jumps in this part I'm going to have to, so i'll memorise some sections. It also makes watching the MD easier.

• Like 1