Why become a member? ×

Support better than headliner

Ant1972

8 minutes ago, cetera said:

A couple of years ago at Wembley Arena - REO Speedwagon blew Status Quo, without Parfitt (RIP), off the stage...

That doesn't surprise me. I've taken the missus to see them nearly every winter since we moved up here in 1998 - her favourites, I prefer the 1970's lineup - and I think it's safe to say that the last 5 or 6 times we saw them they were pretty much phoning it in.  A great show if you hadn't seen them before but I'd be hard pushed to single out any year as having a different set list. 

• Like 1

I saw Buddy Guy at Manchester Bridgewater Hall in 2010 - the man is a consumate showman!

Amazing gig - particularly enjoyed the bit where he played in the style of other great guitarists like Clapton & Hendrix, and explained how he taught them everything they knew! (Very tongue in cheek!)

:)

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, jacko said:

The quo at Glasgow - probably 10 winters ago had Roy Wood playing support. He was brilliant. The quo were a bit Meh! in comparison. 

Saw Roy Wood with his rock and roll band not long ago. Absolutely brilliant!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Muzz said:

Then again, they were all trying to follow Chas and Dave...now there's a Led Zep opening act... 😀

I saw Eric Clapton in Liverpool with Chas and Dave as support. Think EC was a big drinking buddy of theirs at the time. Must admit I wish I could have had a few beers before sitting through them. Clapton wasn’t at his best afterwards either....☹️

• Like 1

I like this thread

I saw U2 supporting the Police at Gateshead Stadium in the early 80's, I think it was near the end of the Police and Sting's singing was flat as a witches tit. I had heard of U2, but never heard any songs, but they were far better. Gone right off them now, ironically! 

Sophie Ellis Bextor supporting George Michael at Home Park in Plymouth, yes, George was THAT bad!

Bonnie Raitt supporting Clapton and Elton John at Wembley, they were all excellent, but Bonnie Raitt was stellar. 

Robert Cray supporting BB King at the Hammersmith Odeon (I think?)…..Robert Cray was fantastic, but BB King made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, with the first note, just like Peter Green did.

• Like 1

On 01/02/2020 at 19:46, mr4stringz said:

Pantera opening for Megadeth in ‘92 springs to mind.

Most definitely. Then two years later Downset opened for Pantera and although maybe not better they absolutely blew the roof off. 

Also remember Corrosion of Conformity opening for someone and being excellent but can't recall who, so by that reasoning they must've been better. 

12 minutes ago, Maude said:

Also remember Corrosion of Conformity opening for someone and being excellent but can't recall who, so by that reasoning they must've been better. 

Oh dear, I just looked it up and it was poor old Megadeth again. 

1 hour ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Thanks for that Steve . Long time ago :) 

I was there too (though my impression of Megadeth was much better than yours...I may well have been much drunker than you...I've got a CD of the radio broadcast and it's not stunning) and the two things I remember was Newstead not playing (I'm a bit fuzzy but in those pre-internet days, I'm sure there were rumours that he might still be doing the tour despite having joined Metallica) and there being some delay with the gear at customs which meant Megadeth went on late

• Thanks 1

The Country 2 Country weekend at the O2 Arena, Greenwich, 2015.  I think it was the third year they did the C2C festival, not sure, but there were 4 acts each night.  The headline act for the second night were Lady Antebellum, a relatively new 'crossover' country band who had a couple of successful singles in the UK but needed a lot of padding, including some covers, in the set.  They were supported (3rd act on) by Jason Aldean, who is one of the biggest country rock stars in the US but virtually unknown in the UK - hence his listing.  He totally and completely outclassed them in every single respect.

On 04/02/2020 at 11:36, Monkey Steve said:

I was there too (though my impression of Megadeth was much better than yours...I may well have been much drunker than you...I've got a CD of the radio broadcast and it's not stunning) and the two things I remember was Newstead not playing (I'm a bit fuzzy but in those pre-internet days, I'm sure there were rumours that he might still be doing the tour despite having joined Metallica) and there being some delay with the gear at customs which meant Megadeth went on late

I have that broadcast on tape somewhere. Michael Spencer was playing for F&J, soon to be replaced by Troy Gregory. He’s actually back in the band now. The Megadeth set sounds great apart from them making a meal of Peace Sells...

I really need to find that tape now 🙂

• Like 1

I saw Talk Talk support Duran Duran in the early 80's and they were in a different league - especially as Duran Duran seemed to have problems keeping time.

Simple Minds supporting Magazine in '79 sounded much fresher and interesting at that moment in time to my ears - I've changed my mind since!

6 hours ago, smarti said:

I saw Talk Talk support Duran Duran in the early 80's and they were in a different league - especially as Duran Duran seemed to have problems keeping time.

Simple Minds supporting Magazine in '79 sounded much fresher and interesting at that moment in time to my ears - I've changed my mind since!

Keeping time with the sequenced keyboards more like 😁

Honeyblood, supporting Garbage, at The festival Theatre Edinburgh 2018.

Honeyblood were a lot more Rock 'n' Roll and had a great sound.

Halfway through Garbage's set, Shirley Mason stopped the band to complain about the monitor mix.

Not very professional. 

Edited by gjones

On 05/02/2020 at 13:18, Doctor J said:

I have that broadcast on tape somewhere. Michael Spencer was playing for F&J, soon to be replaced by Troy Gregory. He’s actually back in the band now. The Megadeth set sounds great apart from them making a meal of Peace Sells...

I really need to find that tape now 🙂

i had that too. From The Friday Rock Show IIRC?