Why become a member? ×

Bit of fun - concerts you've seen

dmccombe7

First concert - Rush - Glasgow Apollo 1980
Last concert - Gypsy Circus - Mash House Edinburgh 2019
Best concert - Rush R30 - SECC Glasgow 2004
Worst concert - Chris de Burgh - Edinburgh Playhouse early 80s ... was dragged along 😒
Loudest concert - AC/DC - Glasgow Apollo 1980
Seen the most - Rush
Most surprising - Brian Wilson - Edinburgh Playhouse 2002
Next concert - The Musical Box - Usher Hall, Edinburgh (this coming Saturday)
Wish I would have seen - King Crimson - Red / Starless and Bible Black era

9 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Most surprising - U2, Boat Club Nottingham, 1980 (went without having heard any of their songs, completely blown away by the music and the performance)

I was a rowing member of the Boat club in the 60s, we had some great bands there, as they did next door at the Union (one side), and the Brit (the other side).  We had to book bands up to a year ahead, so quite a few had made it big(gish) by the time they came.  Over the years, the likes of Status Quo, the Herd, Honeybus, Ten Years After, (a local band!!) John Lee Hooker, Led Zep, etc.

Edited by Baxlin

First Concert - Donnington Festival 1991 - Black Crowes, Queensryche, Motley Crue, Metallica, AC/DC

Last Concert - I can't really remember. I don't go out to gigs much these days. I'm officially an Old Fart.

Best Concert: David Bowie Birmingham 2003 - so glad I managed to see him and he didn't disappoint.

Worst Concert - The Darkness  Birmingham 2004 - Justin was off his face on coke and you could tell the wheels were about to come off. The crowd weren't into it at all. The only saving grace was support band Ash.

Loudest Concert - My Bloody Valentine Manchester 2008 - they were giving out earplugs at the entrance. Some people were being sick in the toilets during the 'Holocaust' section of You Made Me Realise. I stayed for the whole thing and had ringing in my ears for days afterwards despite using the earplugs.

Seen the most: I've usually only ever seen any band once but I've seen the Manic Street Preachers a couple of times as my wife is a big fan (I like them too but not as much).

Most Surprising - Jane's Addiction blew me away when I saw them in Wolverhampton in 2003 and Jarvis Cocker was a hoot at Manchester in 2007 - he closed with a cover of Magazine's Shot By Both Sides. Also, John Cale in front of a couple hundred people at a tiny venue in Stoke 2006.

Next Concert - nowt planned.

Wish I'd Seen - I could fill a book, mate. But, sticking to gigs I actively had the opportunity to see. Had tickets to see The Fall in Liverpool 2007-ish but couldn't go because of transport problems. Nirvana - had tickets to see them at the Aston Villa Leisure Centre in 1994. Never happened, of course...

I'm enjoying this thread most of all for the "Most surprising" category (I'm making a list and checking it twice) :)

Also I have occasional mild regret when I see what folks post in the "Wish I'd seen" response as I keep doubting my own choice :(

First concert - Ace Frehley's Comet at the Hammy Odeon 1988
Last concert - Michael Monroe (ex Hanoi Rocks)
Best concert - Dogs D'Amour on the reformation tour in 2013 in Sheffield
Worst concert - Bootleg Beatles in Bath 1995
Loudest concert - Drive By Truckers in Bristol maybe 8 years ago
Seen the most - Jesse Malin or The Quireboys
Most surprising - Atomic Kitten in Swindon at a free concert. I don't know where to start!
Next concert - Backyard Babies (tonight) in Cardiff
Wish I would have seen - Elvis Presley with his original band in the 50s

On 01/02/2020 at 13:01, dmccombe7 said:

@hiram.k.hackenbacker trying to keep it to concerts rather than local pub bands. Some of the tribute bands i've seen i would class as concerts too altho i didn't include them.

Happy to include any concert size gigs tho

Dave 

I only very rarely go to "concert" sized gigs. Rock City in Nottingham tends to be my limit and even then it's normally too busy for me to really enjoy it. Back in the 80s when I was going there regularly, the capacity was much lower than it is now and never seemed as completely rammed as it has been at gigs I've attended since 2000. I'd rather go and see a band at The Rescue Rooms or The Bodega.

The majority of gigs I've really enjoyed have been in places with less than 500 capacity.

TBH by the time a band has "out-grown" Rock City sized venues they've had to move on musically to a place I am no longer interested in.

First concert - Rich Kids at the Nashvile, Jan 1978. First time without parental lack of control. My Mum had taken me to Hawkwind at the Roundhouse when I was 10 amongst others. .
Last concert - Australian Pink Floyd  in Halifax last November (girlfriends choice) Enjoyed more than I thought I would.
Best concert - Clash and Specials - Music Machine Oct 1978? Adrenaline overload. Amazing gig.
Worst concert - Circulus - St Pauls, Brentford about 5 years ago? I'm trying to forget.
Loudest concert - Wildhearts Camden Palace/Motorhead Hammy Odeon. Deaf after both.
Seen the most - The Members probably
Most surprising - Cameo Hammersmith 85 ish? Really rocked and funked the place. Excellent fun. I thought they'd be like the Four Tops or something live. I was very wrong.
Next concert - Next one booked isLevellers in Holmfirth in May. Probably sneak some in before though
Wish I would have seen - Radio Birdman or Soundtrack of Our Lives I guess. Kept missing them.

First concert - Hawkwind - Sheffield City Hall 1979
Last concert - Mike & the Mechanics - Sheffield 2019
Best concert - AC/DC Back in black tour 1980
Worst concert - Nazereth - sometime in the 80s
Loudest concert - Rush - Permanent Waves Tour - Leeds
Seen the most - The Human League
Most surprising - Uriah Heep
Next concert - Heaven 17 performing the Human Leagues first 2 albums
Wish I would have seen - Japan

First concert - Deep purple. Newcastle city hall. 1973
Last concert - Transatlantic sessions. Glasgow Royal concert hall Jan 31st.
Best concert - YES. Edinburgh Playhouse 2003. Took the whole family. Alan White's mum was in the audience
Worst concert - Kings of leon. Edinburgh corn exchange 2005. so bored I left after 4 songs. Or .YES 50th anniversary, Glasgow 2018. Didn't want to count this gig as it was really just a tribute band led by steve howe and sounded appalling.
Loudest concert - Motorhead supporting Alice Cooper. Glasgow SECC. 2007. Joan jett as first support were so much better than Lemmy's mob
Seen the most - YES (but Dream Theater are catching up)
Most surprising - Kate Rusby Edinburgh Usher Hall 2010. Voice of an angel but soooooo tiny. 
Next concert - Dream Theater. Glasgow feb 23rd
Wish I would have seen - Grateful dead

First concert - Hanoi Rocks, Guildford University, Two Steps From The Move Tour 1984
Last concert - Helmet, Islington O2, October 2019
Best concert - A tie between Nine Inch Nails on the Downward Spiral tour, Town & Country Club 1994 and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones at the Astoria 2 (possibly then called the Mean Fiddler) in 1997
Worst concert - Smashing Pumpkins farewell tour, Wembley Arena 2000.  Good riddance.  i was just one of many leaving the show early
Loudest concert - Airbourne, No Guts, No Glory tour, Hammersmith Apollo 2009 - no hearing, no consideration for the crowd.  Close second - Super Furry Animals at the Guildford Civic in (Google tells me) 1999 - so very unpleasantly loud, half the crowd were hiding behind pillars and the other half left
Seen the most - almost certainly Motorhead, if only because they seemed to play festivals that I was going to every year
Most surprising - Nine Inch Nails - see above.  Knew nothing about them, or industrial music, just awesome.  Honourable mention for Skid Row at the Joint in Las Vegas in 2015 - was expecting them to be awful, with a non-original singer, coming on after a dreadful Great White, third on a hair metal bill that we were only going to because it was a mate's 40th and she loves that sort of thing, but they were superb
Next concert - The Lounge Kittens, Union Chapel, end of this month
Wish I would have seen - missed Faith No More with Chuck Moseley at the Marquee (only found out about the Introduce Yourself gig the week after they played), and I turned down an offer to see Bowie in, I think, 1999, although he wasn't that well regarded at the time

Edited by Monkey Steve

6 hours ago, jacko said:

First concert - Deep purple. Newcastle city hall. 1973
Last concert - Transatlantic sessions. Glasgow Royal concert hall Jan 31st.
Best concert - YES. Edinburgh Playhouse 2003. Took the whole family. Alan White's mum was in the audience
Worst concert - Kings of leon. Edinburgh corn exchange 2005. so bored I left after 4 songs. Or .YES 50th anniversary, Glasgow 2018. Didn't want to count this gig as it was really just a tribute band led by steve howe and sounded appalling.
Loudest concert - Motorhead supporting Alice Cooper. Glasgow SECC. 2007. Joan jett as first support were so much better than Lemmy's mob
Seen the most - YES (but Dream Theater are catching up)
Most surprising - Kate Rusby Edinburgh Usher Hall 2010. Voice of an angel but soooooo tiny. 
Next concert - Dream Theater. Glasgow feb 23rd
Wish I would have seen - Grateful dead

Saw Yes at the Manc Apollo on that tour and met the band outside. Alan White’s mum shouted “Alan put a scarf on!” Mums will be mums, even when you’re famous.😂

• Like 1

First concert - Kylie Minogue- London arena 88 (I think)
Last concert - Ghost- Wembley 2019
Best concert - the wildhearts - brixton 95
Worst concert - cradle of filth - LA2 98
Loudest concert - Airbourne - sheperds bush 2012
Seen the most - Slayer
Most surprising - Hell
Next concert - Machine head at brixton
Wish I would have seen - Metallica 92-94

First concert – Def Leppard 1988 Birmingham NEC
Last concert – Living Colour 2019 Manchester Academy
Best concert – Kings X 1990 Manchester
Worst concert – Faith no More Manchester international 1990
Loudest concert – Suicidal tendencies Manchester academy 1993 (was deaf for 2 days)
Seen the most – Kings X, Living Colour, NIN
Most surprising – Primus / Fishbone
Next concert – Kings X (waiting to be rescheduled)
Wish I would have seen – Nirvana Manchester GMEX March 27 1994 had a ticket (still have it), gig was cancelled…

First concert - Hawkwind - Ipswich - circa 1978
Last concert - Bloodstock Festival - Judas Priest/Nightwish etc. -2018
Best concert - Rush - O2 - 2013
Worst concert - Phil Collins - O2 - 1990's (fell asleep!)
Loudest concert - Motorhead Bomber Tour - Ipswich - 1980ish
Seen the most - Rush
Most surprising - Budgie supporting Uriah Heep (Budgie awesome)
Next concert - Not known..
Wish I would have seen - Led Zeppelin

First: 10cc, Birmingham Odeon, Sept 1978

Last: BabyBird, Hare and Hounds, Birmingham, Nov 2019

Best: Blue Nile, Town Hall, Birmingham Sept 1990 or Posies, Garage, London, 1993?

Worst: Black Crowes, Phoenix Festival, July 1993

Loudest: Flaming Lips, Goldwyns, Birmingham, date unknown

Seen the most: 10cc, Posies, REM

Most surprising: Divine Comedy, Wulfrun Hall Wolverhampton, March 2001

Next: John Shuttleworth (does he count?) tomorrow night.

Wish: Nick Drake, Led Zeppelin, Game Theory/Loud Family

First: Rush - Deeside Leisure Centre

Last: Major Parkinson - Manchester

Best: Cardiacs - Manchester

Worst: Guns & Roses - in a field near Milton Keynes

Loudest: Foo Fighters - Some convention Centre in Manchester (appalling gig)

Seen the most: Zappa / Cardiacs 

Most surprising: Jackie Leven

Next: Anna Meredith (Later today) 

Wish: Hendrix / Beefheart

First concert - Peter Green Splinter Group & John Mayall's Bluesbreakers at the Albert Hall, around 2000
Last concert - The Who, Wembley Stadium, 2019
Best concert - Can't decide between The Who (above), Brian Wilson at the Festival Hall (2002) or Soundgarden in Hyde Park (2014)

Worst concert - Elbow, at the London Astoria, probably 2000/1. My sister persuaded me to go on the strength of a song which I thought was rather good. They opened with that song, and it went downhill from there. Holy Mary, mother of Christ, were they ever dull. About 45 minutes in, just when I thought they couldn't put any less energy into their performance, they pulled out the chairs and acoustic guitars and decided it was time to do a few low-key acoustic numbers. I thought I might fossilise just standing there watching them.

Loudest concert - Dream Theater at the first Ramblin' Man festival (2015?). I wasn't even bloody watching them - I was trying to enjoy someone else on the Blues stage, but they were so loud they were encroaching on every corner of the festival.

Seen the most - The Hamsters. They used to play the Half Moon once a month back when I lived in West London; it was a regular outing for some of my friends.

Most surprising - Hooverphonic at Aula Magna (2008). For a band who come across as quite low-key and mysterious on record, they knew how to translate it to an atmospheric live show. One of the last shows they did before Geike Arnaert left, so I'm glad I saw them when I did.

Next concert - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, at the O2.

Wish I could have seen - Original lineup of The Who. Any time from about 1967-1973 would do, but one of the well-known shows like Leeds Refectory or the 1970 IoW festival, ideally.

1 hour ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

Worst concert - Elbow, at the London Astoria, probably 2000/1. My sister persuaded me to go on the strength of a song which I thought was rather good. They opened with that song, and it went downhill from there. Holy Mary, mother of Christ, were they ever dull. About 45 minutes in, just when I thought they couldn't put any less energy into their performance, they pulled out the chairs and acoustic guitars and decided it was time to do a few low-key acoustic numbers. I thought I might fossilise just standing there watching them.

That reminds me about a contender for worst concert for me - Fleet Foxes at Nottingham Trent University probably 2009 (after their debut album).

Musically it was fine, all the great songs off the album complete with all those fantastic harmonies, but as a performance a disaster. Endless tuning and retuning between songs, rambling mumbled introductions to the songs that were mostly incomprehensible where I was stood about half-way back. Banter between the band members off-mic, and between the band and audience members at the front that was again incomprehensible where I was stood because I could at best only hear half the conversation. This would probably have been fine in a small intimate club, but in a largish (500-700 capacity) hall most of what was happing between songs was lost on 90% of the audience. All in all the messing about between songs made the gig go on about twice as long as it needed to, I have rarely been so bored at a gig.

First - Hot Chocolate, Taunton Odeon 1979.

Last - Bootleg Beatles, Usher Hall Edinburgh, last December.

Best - Pulp, Roundhay Park Leeds, 1995.

Worst - Matchbox, Bournemouth Winter Gardens, around 1980/81. Well and truly cured me of any rockabilly tendencies.

Loudest - New Order, Old Trafford, 2002. I was hemmed in right in front of one of the speaker stacks.

Seen the most - Doves.

Most surprising - the Battlefield Band. I was expecting 90 minutes of dreary teuchter wailing, but they brought the house down.

Next - I'm trying to rearrange things so I can see Ellen Foley in April.

Wish - the Passions, the Adverts and Ultravox with the John Foxx lineup.

First concert - Blue Jays 1976 RAH
Last concert - Steven Wilson 2019 RAH
Best concert - Thunder 2007 Astoria
Worst concert - Walter Trout ? Boom Boom Club Sutton
Loudest concert -  Rory Gallagher 197? Hammersmith (PA started to make me nauseated).
Most surprising - Thunder 2007 Astoria (so good, wasn’t expecting it).
Next concert - ?
Wish I would have seen - Peter Gabriel circa 1985
Wish I could see again -  Eric Johnson

First concert - Iron Maiden, Birmingham NEC, Nov 1988 - The 'Maiden England' vid was recorded over those two NEC nights

Last concert - Shed Seven, Sheffield O2 Academy, Dec 2017

Best concert - Pink Floyd, Earls Court, October 1994

Worst concert - Paul Weller, Nottingham Arena, 2000 or 2001 - He didn't seem to want to be there and the sound was garbage

Loudest concert -  WASP, Nottingam Royal Concert Hall, 1989 - Always thought the venue a bit too prim and proper for rock bands but crikey it was loud!

Seen the most - Iron Maiden

Most surprising - Robert Plant and the Strange Sensation, Wolverhampton Civic Hall, 2005(ish) - I enjoyed it far, far more than I thought I would. One of my fave gigs ever.

Next concert - ???

Wish I would have seen - Prince

Wish I could see again - Pink Floyd

First concert - T Rex Newcastle City Hall  though technically the first band I saw was the support - The Damned  (see below for relevance)

Last concert - The Sweet Dec 2019 Gateshead Sage

Best concert - Status Quo Frantic Four Glasgow O2 2013

Worst concert - Wrathchild Newcastle Riverside 1985ish

Loudest concert -  Kiss Newcastle City Hall 1985ish

Seen the most - Either The Damned or Dan Baird & Homemade Sin (sadly never again ☹️)

Most surprising - The Stranglers Tyne Theatre early 2000s - I didn't want to go!

Next concert - Legendary Shack Shakers

Wish I would have seen - Boxer or Patto (I first heard of them when Tommy Vance played an old session as an obituary to Mike Patto)

Wish I could see again - Frantic Four