Why become a member? ×

Bit of fun - concerts you've seen

dmccombe7

4 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Loudest- Groundhogs- Burn's Bar Falkirk 1986 ?

Groundhogs were a great wee band. 

Oddly enough i played the Burns bar in 85/86 with Gypsies Kiss. Was my 1st gig with them after learning their set in 2 weeks. I was asked to stay with them and had a great few yrs with them

Dave

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Baxlin said:

Unless she played there twice in 1978, I was at the same show!

Had some good/big names at the Coventry theatre around then, also saw (with Mrs B!) Cliff Richard, Elton John's "one man" show (with Ray Cooper!), and The Shadows.

That will have been the gig! As a young teenager it wasn’t really my cup of tea but got taken along and as a live gig it was great. I hadn’t realised what a voice she had.

I remember the local buzz around the Elton John gig - I think it was one of those gigs where the venue limited the amount of tickets a person could buy (same with Genesis gig in the same year, as I recall).

Another Cov Theatre gig from that year was Be Bop Deluxe. Blew me away!

Bit shaky on the dates, and sticking to the more widely known artists but:

First concert - Elton John, Italy, 1975
Last concert - Steven Wilson, Manchester Apollo, 2019 but might have been 2018
Best concert - Led Zep or Bowie - tough to choose
Worst concert - Iron Maiden, MEN Arena
Loudest concert - Alice Cooper MEN arena c. 2014
Seen the most - Porcuine Tree
Most surprising - The Pineapple Thief - really good show last year in Manchester
Next concert - The Musical Box (Genesis tribute act) tomorrow
Wish I would have seen - Pink Floyd doing The Wall, had tickets and gave them to a mate.

• Like 1

First concert - Rock Against Racism, Victoria Park, 1978 - Tom Robinson Band, The Clash, X-Ray Spex, Steel Pulse

Last concert - The Aristocrats, Edinburgh, Jan 2020

Best concert - Tool, London Astoria 1997, only UK date of the Aenima tour. First time seeing them and my tiny mind was beyond blown.

Worst concert - Lamb Of God - seen them twice supporting bands they're not fit to wash the pants of. Utterly dire.

Loudest concert - Motorhead, Hammy Odeon, Bomber tour 1980. So loud the songs were indistiguishable from one another.

Seen the most - Rush - 14 times between 1981 & 2013.

Most surprising - Marillion, Hammy Odeon, '84. Really wasn't a fan, got dragged along by someone who was. Became a massive, drooling fanboy.

Next concert - Fish, Edinburgh, March.

Wish I would have seen - Skids with Stuart Adamson, original 70s Alice Cooper band, Rush pre-synths & haircuts...

First Concert - Deep Purple. the In Rock tour 1969

Last Gig- Martin Turner, Ex Wishbone Ash, September 2019

Best Concert- Pink Floyd. Earles Court 1994

Worst Concert - Hawkwind. The PA blew up during the first number, gig over and some tw*t nicked my leather jacket.

Loudest gig- Deep Purple 1969

Seen the most- Rory Gallagher, 12 times.

Most Surprising - Earth, Wind and Fire, Wembley late '70's. I was a rock fan but they changed everything I thought I knew about music.

Next gig, TBC.

Wish I'd seen- Hendrix.

First concert: Bauhaus 1982 Lings Forum Northampton

Last concert: Big Country Roadmender Northampton

Best concert: Ramones Hammersmith Palais

Worst concert: Sisters of Mercy Rock City sometime in the 2000's

Loudest concert, Ellery Bop Rock City (supporting Killing Joke 1986) so loud I was scared my heart was going to stop, literally emptied the venue!

Seen the most: Stiff Little Fingers

Most surprising: Pink Floyd Docklands arena (blown away by the sound and stage show)

Next Concert: Gene Loves Jezebel Esquires Bedford

Wish I could have seen - I always thought it would be Abba but with the passing of Mark Hollis probably Talk Talk now!

First concert - Depeche Mode (Birmingham Odeon 17/10/1982)
Last concert - Frank Turner (Birmingham Symphony Hall 02/12/19)
Best concert - Ryan Adams (Oxford Apollo - summer 2011) 
Worst concert - Cast at Milton Keynes Sanctuary, late ‘95. Freezing cold venue, horrible intimidating atmosphere, nasty football fan crowd, bored jaded band. One of only two gigs I’ve ever walked out of.
Loudest concert - Mansun (Northampton Roadmender 1996 - the second gig I’ve walked out of. Ridiculous, irresponsible level of volume). 
Seen the most - Frank Turner x6
Most surprising - Lana Del Rey, Roundhouse 2012. Took my daughter who was then a big fan. My expectations were low, I was surprised.
Next concert - Easy Life at the Roundhouse in a few weeks
Wish I could’ve seen - The Beatles / The Clash

First: Either Sky or Mike Oldfield, Birminham Odeon, early '80s.

Last: Half Man Half Biscuit,  Leamington Assembly. (Great venue, closed last year 😥)

Best: That's really, really, hard. Jethro Tull Crest of  Knave, Muse Drones? Not sure.

Worst: Dire Straits end of the Brothers In Arms tour. They were just tired and had an off night. Close second,  HMHB at the Assembly were let down by a sound man who should be shot as the vocals were unintelligible! For a band where the words are everything,  that was criminal.

Loudest: Yes, 90125 tour at the NEC. I was chest-level to the flown speakers.

Seen the most: Tull, probably. Or Marillion.

Most surprising: Joanne Shaw Taylor, Birmingham Town Hall. Rock On!

Next: Nick Mason's Saucefull of Secrets.

Wish: Any Pink Floyd, but particularly 1996. Had to go to in-laws wedding anniversary. I did try to explain that the in laws would have many more anniversaries,  but Floyd might not tour again...

Ī'm not good with dates but.

First: Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation/Pump tour NEC Birmingham 1990ish

Last: Robert Glasper - Birmingham Town Hall 2017

Best: Ramones - Hummingbird Birmingham - Brain Drain tour - 1992?

Worst: Eagles Birmingham NIA - European leg of Hell Freezes over tour - around 2000 - we has the worst seats in a not great venue, right at the back so the sound wasn't good. Also I later heard that the band were barely talking to each other during by that point which might explain while they just seemed to be going through the motions.

Loudest: Brittany Fox, third on the bill on the Alice Cooper Trash tour at the NEC in the early 90s. When they played the first chord I swear everyone in the first couple of blocks took a step back. Much louder than the headliner.

Seen the most: There's a few contenders, there was a period in the 90s where The Almighy seemed to be supporting every band I went to see, similar thing with The Editors in the mid/late 2000s.

Most surprising: Skid Row - Monsters of Rock 1992. All my mates loved the album, I hated it, saw them at Donnington, thought they were outstanding, listened to the album again when I got home and still hated it.

Wish: I'd like to have seen the Chilli Peppers during the Mother's Milk tour, before they shifted direction

Edited by Cato

Cut & paste from my FB:

First concert - Black Sabbath (Wolverhampton aged 14, Dio)
Last concert - Snarky Puppy (bloody marvelous)
Best concert - Gong, Bootsy, JTQ, Snarky, Herbie Hancock, Roni Size, Corduroy, Parliament/Funkadelic, Gil Scott Heron, Orbital (Glastonbury after consuming a bad aspirin), Culture, Wailers, Levellers acoustic, Dreadzone (Endorset), EZ Star All Stars, Skatalites, Massive Attack, Abyssinians, and many I’ve forgot!
Worst concert - Roger Taylor...love Queen but I fell asleep to Rogers solo stuff
Loudest concert - Vibronics (One love reggae festival....beer glasses moved of their own accord due to earthquake like bass resonance) & Prodigy (Phoenix festival 96)
Seen the most - Gong, Dreadzone or Ozric Tentacles.
Most surprising - Britney Spears (Birmingham NEC...was with a hedonistic press team from the Glaswegian Record...don’t ask!)
Next concert - Cory Wong (Vulfpeck solo project)
Wish I would have seen - Bob Marley, Hendrix, Kate’s Bush or Lennon.

Edited by Raslee
  • Like 1

Most Surprising is one i had forgotten when i did my original post

Big Country supporting Bowie at Sunderland mid 87.

Had never really listened to them much but they had so much energy and for me stole the show and i was a Bowie fan.

Dave

• Like 1

First concert - Megadeth/Sanctuary - Olympic Ballroom, Dublin, May 1988
Last concert - Acid Reign - Grand Social, Dublin, December 2019
Best concert - Either Death, McGonagles, Dublin 1992 or Therapy? - Hamburg, October 2018
Worst concert - Limp Bizkit, Dublin
Loudest concert - Sleep, Button Factory, Dublin, May 2012. Stupidly loud and I would have left had I not brought good earplugs.
Seen the most - Chic
Most surprising - Ondt Blod, I felt like Joliet Jake seeing the light
Next concert - Zakk Sabbath, Birmingham, February 2020 then Cory Wong, Cork, February 2020
Wish I would have seen - Living Colour and Fisbone are the last on that list after finally seeing Coroner last year

• Like 1

First Concert - Slade, Rainbow Theatre 1973...I think

Last Concert - The Pink Floyd experience, back end of 2019, the backing singer who also played the sax solo's was magnificent!

Best Concert -  6 of the Best (Genesis with Peter Gabriel) MK Bowl 1982,  the wettest I have ever been, but also the happiest, we were 3 rows from the front......unforgettable

Worst Concert - Cheap Trick,  so loud it was just a continuous drone of noise

Loudest Concert - Level 42 at the old Empire pool Wembley, we were near the back too, but at least we could still make out the songs (see above)

Seen the most - Probably Curved Air, or The Enid, we do love a bit of prog!

Most Surprising - Joan Armatrading doing a solo show in a School in Northampton about 3 years ago, my wife is a big fan, I just went along for the ride, she was spellbinding!

Next Concert - Well I'm playing at The Shush in Wantage next week...does that count?

Wish I could have seen - Yes in their heyday, being a Hemel lad I was amazed when I found out they played at the Decorum in 1975, and I missed it!

1st. Downtown Faction, 1967/68, soon to become Lindisfarne, at the local church hall.

Last. Focus, 2019.

Best. Yes, Close to the Edge tour 72.

Worst. Mot the Hoople. Newcastle City Hall.1972.

Loudest. AC/DC Mayfair Newcastle 1979. Still got the tinnitus.

Seen most. Jethro Tull

Most surprising. Bryan Ferry. 2018. Brilliant.

Nexy concert. AWB. Tyne Theatre in May.

Wish I had seen. Pink Floyd.

First concert - The Beat, supported by The Alarm and Aztec Camera -- Hammersmith Palais 1983
Last concert - Take That, Birmingham. See below
Best concert - dead heat between Dream Theater on the Metropolis 2000 tour and It Bites on the Eat Me In St Louis tour
Worst concert - Pat Metheny trio at Birmingham Symphony Hall. The band were utterly superb, but a jazz trio in a symphony hall? Ludicrous venue choice and zero atmosphere.
Loudest concert - Vow Wow at Reading Majestic, 1988ish.
Seen the most - Mike Stern
Most surprising - Take That, Birmingham. I was dragged along expecting to hate it, but it was actually great. Sh*t hot band, and Rick Astley in support was superb. What a voice he has now.
Next concert - Not known.
Wish I'd seen - Miles Davis, Prince.

First concert - Too embarrassing to mention but a well known singer songwriter on a Greedy Bastard tour.
Last concert - Monty Python @O2 (does that count as a concert?)
Best concert - Prince Aftershow party, 2007 with Beverley Knight
Worst concert -  A well known singer songwriter on a Greedy Bastard tour
Loudest concert - My cousin in law's wedding.  I had to leave even with noise cancelling earphones in.
Seen the most - Prince
Most surprising - Herbie Flowers and Richard Durrant @ London Ukelele Society, Herbie bought me a pint and we had a chat, I got to play his bass.  Also honourable mention for Driving Me Crazy a house music/jazz band doing a Masters At Work/Louis Benedetti thing.  I saw them twice in Islington before they disbanded and they blew me away.  The drummer was a beast and never strayed from the pocket.  Dave Troke was on bass.  They never got the recognition they deserved.
Next concert - Out here?  HAHAHAHAHA!  I'd have to go to Hong Kong.
Wish I'd seen - Pink Floyd during their quadrophonic years, U2 Joshua Tree tour, Level 42 at Wembley 1986, Led Zeppelin @ O2, Prince Y2K celebration, Princes Trust Rock Galas from 1986-1990, Chic

PS: Just found a bit of Drivin Me Crazy on Youtube but the mix really sucks:

First concert..Motorhead 1980 Edinburgh Odeon

Last concert..Slayer 2018 Final World Tour..Hydro Glasgow

Best concert..Anthrax 2017 Barrowlands Glasgow where they recorded Kings Among Scotland, the last track on the album "Antisocial" a cover by French rockers Trust who supported Iron Maiden on Killer tour 1981 Glasgow Apollo brought some good vibes back.

Worst..Metallica 2017 WorldWired Tour, up in the rafters at Hydro Glasgow the sound was utter dung.

Loudest..Motorhead, ears were ringing when gig finished & the day after

Seen the most..joint Anthrax, Metallica.

Most surprising..Disturbed when they supported Avenged Sevenfold, never heard them before - Down With The Sickness & The Sound Of Silence to name a few good stuff.

Next concert..Ozzy hopefully

First concert - Dave Greenslade, Palace Theatre Newark, 1976 or 1977
Last concert - Rome Burns, Lending Rooms Leeds, 2019
Last concert where I wasn't also playing - HIM, Rock City Nottingham, 2018
Best concert - None So Blind, Arts College Chesterfield, 1983, or Kraftwerk, Rock City Nottingham, 1981
Worst concert - Propaganda, Rock City Nottingham, 1985 or 1986
Loudest concert - Polysics, Islington O2 Bar London, 2004, or Mansun Assembly Rooms Derby, 1998
Seen the most - None So Blind (too many times to know how many)
Seen the most that wasn't a local band - Polysics (8 times)
Most surprising - U2, Boat Club Nottingham, 1980 (went without having heard any of their songs, completely blown away by the music and the performance)
Next concert - Probably IAMX on their next tour
Wish I would have seen - The Human League when Martin Ware and Ian Marsh were still in the band

First concert - Thin Lizzy - St Austell Coliseum 1981
Last concert - Lynyrd Skynyrd (Quo and Massive Wagons) - Wembley Arena 2019
Best concert - Rush Wembley Arena 1987, Gary Moore first blues gig, Hammersmith Odeon early 90s.
Worst concert - Heavy Pettin supporting Magnum (they were great) - Hammersmith Odeon, Primus supporting Rush (they were great) Wembley Arena, Dave Hole supporting Gary Moore (he was great) - several times
Loudest concert - Rush Snakes and Arrows at Wembley maybe
Seen the most - Gordon Giltrap
Most surprising - Big Country - St Austell, first tour, won tickets and had no expectations, Rodrigo y Gabriela - Shepherds Bush Empire so much energy and crowd enrapturing power from the nylon strung acoustics!
Next concert - Fairport Convention - Forum, Bath
Wish I would have seen - Genesis Seconds Out tour, Doobie Brothers in the late 70s or Thin Lizzy with Robbo.

Edited by TrevorR

First concert - Queen - Edinburgh Playhouse, 1976.
Last concert - UFO - Exeter Phoenix, 2015.
Best concert - UFO - Newcastle Mayfair, 1978.
Worst concert - Iron Maiden - Middlesbrough Town Hall, 1981.
Loudest concert - Motörhead - Newcastle Mayfair, 1980.
Seen the most - The Michael Schenker Group. (80, 81, 82, 83, 2010, 2013, 2014)
Most surprising - Marillion - Reading, 1983. (never thought much of them until then)
Next concert - Nothing definite, but Tool are on my list.
Wish I would have seen - Genesis, Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Gong.