Why become a member? ×

Second Hand Selling Problems

stewblack

Having a miserable time in the for sale side of Basschat at the moment. 

Had a buyer pull out at the 11th hour, a bass returned for refund, no positive feedback because a delivery was late and no acknowledgement when I refunded the delivery cost, looks like a pedal is coming back as well now. 

It's just a run of bad luck I know but I'm the kind of buyer who never complains, just take it on the chin if something isn't quite what I expected. I know this doesn't mean I should expect others to be the same, but my goodness it tests my serenity. 

Time to meditate I think. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

I am slowly becoming a convert to using shops to sell any high-end gear on commission sale .

Takes all the hassle of low-ballers , tyre kickers and people who go " radio silent " once they've agreed to buy your gear .Quite often the better price the shop gets offsets the commission they charge .

I do think the market place is a lot tougher than it used to be , too many guitars and not enough guitarists ???

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm the kind of buyer who never complains, just take it on the chin if something isn't quite what I expected. I know this doesn't mean I should expect others to be the same

Well I guess that I'm a bit the same. One always takes a bit of a risk (as buyer or seller), but BC is still far better than some others imo. Maybe just a run of bad luck Stewie?

I can empathise...people who are "definite" buyers, people who make low ball offers and those who are doing you a favour by making those low ball offers. 

The reason I sell here primarily is because most buyers are reliable and trust worthy. However there are many on BC in a similar situation - too much equipment, looking to downsize to a limited amount of potential buyers.

I'm considering looking at other venues to sell.

I've sold and bought various basses and other stuff from/to members on here, and most of them are kind people that are just great to deal with. 

In my experience it helps to mention that a price is fixed and no further negotiable. Of course not everyone will read, or want to read that.. But it definitely saves from some useless responses. 

A short while ago I was disappointed though:

A well respected BC member asked me to keep my Gibson Ripper on hold until Monday when he would have the funds. No update followed, so I contacted him myself Tuesday or wednesday, to hear that he couldn't proceed yet. Ok, no problem mate. But next Tuesday when we would be home again, all would be sorted. He would defenitely buy it. 

Well, again time passed without an update. And again I contacted him, to hear again that he couldn't proceed yet and needed some extra time... 

I'm a patient guy, but this buyer just didn't take any effort to let me know that he couldn't keep to his sayings. While he knew I still had the bass on hold for him.....for 10 days already. And meanwhile he was still very active In posting/buying/selling... Don't get it; just take that 15 seconds to keep the other party posted, while you're already busy on the forum. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 7

I’ve had a lot of success offloading my gear mountain (well, scraps compared to you guys!). I’ve started prices that I thought were fair and in many cases lowered them. I’ve had a success selling on eBay but refusing to send. 

I’m like you Stu, once a deal has been done I’ll go through with it. I think people are used to distance buying regulations and the simplicity of returning items if they don’t like them. Personally, almost all the basses I’ve sold in the last 5 years have been in person which makes for a longer, but more satisfying transaction. Last bass I sold was a beat up old DB. Met a wonderful Basschatter and was fully prepared to load the old girl in the car if he wasn’t happy ( he was!). I even have him some duvets and ratchet straps to secure the bass which he insisted on paying for, but didn’t need to.

I would say that at times I’ve not responded to PMs immediately. The reason is that I don’t always get notifications on my phone and hate typing on the tiny keyboard. Plus with a family and a business other things have a tendency to pop up!

Hopefully things get better. If you’ve got a couple of Barefaced Cans for sale and are near Bristol I’d happily meet you 🙂

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Having a miserable time in the for sale side of Basschat at the moment. 

Had a buyer pull out at the 11th hour, a bass returned for refund, no positive feedback because a delivery was late and no acknowledgement when I refunded the delivery cost, looks like a pedal is coming back as well now. 

It's just a run of bad luck I know but I'm the kind of buyer who never complains, just take it on the chin if something isn't quite what I expected. I know this doesn't mean I should expect others to be the same, but my goodness it tests my serenity. 

Time to meditate I think. 

Funnily enough I’ve just had someone tell me they now don’t want to buy an item after sending me a message this morning telling me they did.

Guess that’s the way of the world nowadays. (if anyone wants a brand new PJB Bighead I’m selling one - apologies for the blatant plug...)

Edited by Burns-bass

I’m in the minority by the sounds of it but I’ve never had this happen to me on a BC sale 😕 Everything I have put up has sold from pedals to basses -some quicker than others obviously- and whoever wanted it paid up straight away 😕

With regards to stuff actually selling and at the risk of cans, worms etc... Is there perhaps an element of BC buyers being more knowledgeable about gear and it’s real world used value than eBay, gumtree etc? The actual price something will sell for is often less than it’s perceived value by the seller... less likely to get away with too high a price on BC I reckon.

Easy sellers will always be bog standard stuff at a good price (sunburst Fender / Squier P Bass), or currently in vogue and difficult to get hold of gear - al a Wal / very old all original Fenders. Everything else you either have to wait for a buyer who wants that specific bit of kit (and is looking for a saving off the new price), or set a low enough price to attract people who may have been after something else but like a good deal 👍 

Edited by CamdenRob
  • Like 2

I had a nightmare on eBay several years ago exporting a bass to USA.  It was a vintage and rare instrument and I thought I’d explained the minor issues and reconfirmed that she wanted to buy still after auction re-emphasising the issues..  She was adamant.  Anyway when she got it she thought the wear and tear was worse than she expected and demanded a partial refund.  I didn’t want to lose my 100% feedback gained over the years of buying and selling guitars so I lost out and she cleverly got an absolute bargain.  Never again will I export abroad.

Edited by Sarlscharisma
Mistake

59 minutes ago, Sarlscharisma said:

I had a nightmare on eBay several years ago exporting a bass to USA.  It was a vintage and rare instrument and I thought I’d explained the minor issues and reconfirmed that she wanted to buy still after auction re-emphasising the issues..  She was adamant.  Anyway when she got it she thought the wear and tear was worse than she expected and demanded a partial refund.  I didn’t want to lose my 100% feedback gained over the years of buying and selling guitars so I lost out and she cleverly got an absolute bargain.  Never again will I export abroad.

Had a similar experience, I will never ship outside mainland UK.

Bass returned for a refund? If it’s described properly and any flaws pointed out, I’d assume the buyer would be stuffed and would have to sell it themself. I did that years ago on here, bought a Marcus Miller JB, didn’t like the weight or 7.25 fingerboard so put it up for sale with full explanation. Wasn’t the seller’s fault I’d bought something that didn’t suit me.