Why become a member? ×

NBD: G&L L2000 Tribute

reesource

The recent post about the cheap orange L2000 Tributes at Andertons got me thinking, but even with the discount I couldn't justify getting one, plus I wasn't keen on the colour. So when I saw this one second hand I couldn't resist!

This is my first non-Fender for over 20 years - it's also my only current bass with a chunky neck (I have 2 bitsas with Geddy Lee necks, and a Reggie Hamilton Jazz) so it might take a bit of getting used to. But the first 30 minutes I've spent with it have been very enjoyable. I'm a happy boy 🙂

4AF880F2-3777-4E1A-BC4A-1756F93AA4E1.jpeg

Edited by reesource
Edited for a stupid phone typing fail
  • Like 2

Congrats. Looks great! 💕

Feels like I’m too long without an L-2000 (owned a couple of Tributes and a couple of USA ones in the past including one with their #8 jazz bass width neck) I miss the switching on them - both pickups/active/parallel was my go to sound. 

Hopefully one on my horizon as I’m back on G&Ls again,  buying a pair of Tribute JB-2s in the past month. It’s either an L2K or an SB-2 next. Can’t decide which first🧐

I was surprised by the quality of the M2000 Tribute I own - certainly doesn't feel like a sub £400 bass - yes, people cite that Leo is reported to have said that the G&Ls are the best basses he'd ever built but you don't believe them do you...until you try one

Probably true...

Edited by TheGreek

22 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

But it kinda is a Fender anyway 😀

Ha ha, yes, true... 

12 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Natural body, maple neck - great.

Thanks, I think so too! But again, this is my only "natural" bass. A lot of them look too "Luther Vandross" for me, but these G&L basses look like they mean business!

11 hours ago, RedVee said:

Leo Fender once described it as the best Bass he ever made.

That's what every musician says about their most recent album though isn't it!

16 hours ago, dub_junkie said:

Congrats. Looks great! 💕

Feels like I’m too long without an L-2000 (owned a couple of Tributes and a couple of USA ones in the past including one with their #8 jazz bass width neck) I miss the switching on them - both pickups/active/parallel was my go to sound. 

I've only tried it on headphones so far, but that combination sounds best to me too. Will be interested to hear how other settings come across in a band setting...

• 3 weeks later...

I have one and am still in the process of learning to love it but there is no denying its sound or versatility. I find raising the bass strap height up a small bit has helped with the neck thickness. I was feeling a good bit of fatigue playing it but this helped. I'm enjoying the passive tone when playing live at the moment, the active always seemed too hot and I was dialing back the tone and volume. Passive seems a good balance for live. Love the natural look of yours. 

16 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

I really have no idea why G&L persist in offering a cracking bass with a baseball bat sized neck. I have had a few and always move them on due to this. The 44 mm width I can handle, just, but to make it so much of a handful is crazy imo.

I for one am glad they make it that way because I love chunky necks.  I can't stand Jazz necks - I have no idea why Fender persist in offering such an iconic bass with a knitting needle for a neck :)  Of course if it bothers you that much and you really want a tookay then seek out a USA G&L L-2000 - there are various neck options offered.