Why become a member? ×

Zoot refurbishment by Mike

Joebethell

So one of the options really stood out to me and I told Mike to go for it! And hes been on it its only been a couple of days but already he has got the top roughly in place. 

Option 3 the Australian Jarra wood 

Edited by Joebethell
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Joebethell said:

So one of the options really stood out to me and I told Mike to go for it! And hes been on it its only been a couple of days but already he has got the top roughly in place.

Details or radio silence. None of this hinting stuff!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I finally got the double battery box blocked up and filled in with a piece of swamp ash off cut and topped with polyester filler.  I have given the back of the bass some black polyester finish.  The back of the body is now sanded flat and ready to have it's final hi-gloss black coating.  It's going to look great with the book-matched front that Joe picked from my stock of exotic tops.

JBB1.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

The back of the bass is now in it's final colour (hi-gloss black)  and I'm currently working on the top edge fade colour.  Here are some progress pictures showing how the T.bird pickup routing went, and what the top will look like when finished, but like I said, I still have some edge (burst) fading to do to the top.

JBF100.jpg

JBF101.jpg

JBF102.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Been a while since I posted on this thread but it is still on going. 

Had a few delays with covid19/shipping and anything else that could be thrown my way but Mike is keeping me updated and work is picking up again so hopefully a few weeks and I can go collect my bass. 

Here I'm vacuum bonding a Maple veneer to the back of an early Zoot Funkmeister owned by Joe Bethell, and currently in for full renovation. The idea is to hide the old machine head screw holes, as we are going to be replacing the old machines with new Hipshot ultralites. The old machine heads had the Fender vintage style layout of 4 screws per machine head and these holes would have been visible once the new Hipshot machines were fitted, so doing this veneer bonding means the old screw holes will not be visible once the job is complete.

20210614_203602.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Mike has been back on it for me after informing me of a few issues with the finish having to strip it back and start again he is making progress on the body and it is looking amazing. 

received_234077298591544.jpeg

received_560357085107311.jpeg

Edited by Joebethell
Spelling
  • Like 5