Why become a member? ×

Zoot refurbishment by Mike

Joebethell

It's that time, 

I made a decision before christmas a bass I used to own appeared in the sales section I talked myself out of buying it back! I dont need it. I sold it while ago for a few reasons I didn't need the 5th string since I wasnt gigging. It played great but I dont get on with active basses! The band I starting practicing with had different goals so the gigging didn't happen etc...etc.. So as logic dictates I stuck an offer in and its mine again. 

Now I didn't just purchase with the usual GAS I had put the feelers out to Mike at zoot about the possibility of working the bass into something special and it was positive enough for me to jump in. 

It's not going to be a quick process I need to raise some funds and another project will be worked on and sold to justify the purchase/work. 

So first up I need to do some fiddling on a DeArmond starfire I took in part exchange a while ago, the bass has been modded with pickups and they are a little close to the strings. Tomorrow I plan to lower them to get it playing better. 

Stay tuned 

20191121_191451.jpg

So I started with the starfire today the plastic spacers the bass that were on the bass when I purchased it had been hacked at as you can see in the pictures. 

So a new set were purchased and j have been sanding them thinner to try and get a better position! It's slow work as I dont want to ruin them progress has been made and I will come back to it. 

This has also given me the chance to look at the pickups which should be Fred Hammon Darkstar pickups but I'm yet to find any markings 

20200201_095203.jpg

20200201_143052.jpg

20200201_143100.jpg

20200201_143039.jpg

20200201_095345.jpg

Edited by Joebethell
Update on progress
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still not got round to final height adjustments on the pickup surrounds but I have encounter another small problem I was looking to replace the switch tip on the pickup selector but dont appear to be able to find one with a thread that works. I have tried a couple now and can only find 3mm as the smallest size which is still to large for the thread on the switch.

Edited by Joebethell
Spelling

16 hours ago, owen said:

OK. You have snared me in. Is it chambering? Is it just slicing a chunk off?

Cutting back the body to have a new top which then can have new hardware,correct placement and size for the new pickups also filling the battery compartment on the back as wont be needing it.

I think mike has a few plans up his sleeves also so watch this space

Bit more progress from Mike he has been filling the holes in the body with swamp ash ready for the top to go on although I still need to pick a top. 

May even ask for opinions once he has selected some for me to pick from. 

FB_IMG_1584396355559.jpg

FB_IMG_1584396360934.jpg

FB_IMG_1584396375657.jpg

FB_IMG_1584396380024.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...