Why become a member? ×

So this arrived today...

tvickey

Yes indeed - this is the whole point of a tapered string. The smaller diameter sitting on the saddle is intended to produce a tighter, more defined sound with what is otherwise a very thick string. If I’m not mistaken this was borrowed from grand piano design, which has a similar concept.
In the context of this thread I’ve highlighted that the Warwick Black Label has a tapered .135 B and it looks identical to the one in the OP’s pics. My experience with them has been very hit and miss - on a jazz 5 deluxe through the bridge the B sounded unfocused and dull compared to the other strings, and it wasn’t twisted, but I’ve had this on other basses so potentially dead strings. With a set of DR Lo-Riders through the body the difference is like night and day. Ditto Ernie Ball Slinkies on a Sterling 5. It’s a bit counter-intuitive but a tapered B doesn’t always sound better.

Thanks @mrtcat, that is very interesting.  I checked the Bass Direct website just now, and the new Corvette 5 $$ that they just got in also has those same strings.  Look at where the strings make contact with the machine heads on the bass.  They really don't look like Black Labels on that end either (compare with my earlier photo of the LX4 GPS).

Corvette_strings.jpg

So, the package from the distributor arrived.  They sent me a Rockcare fretboard protector and a new pack of Black Label strings. 

But these new Black Labels look like Black Labels... and have the plain brass (uncolored!) balls at one end, with the twiddly / spiraling bit on the other.  

I've decided not to put these on, and just go with my usual (Ernie Balls).  Had they sent me the Warwick EMP bass strings I might have used those... but they didn't.  Anyway, now that it's the weekend I'll re-string the bass, do a full setup with adjustments, and hope it sounds much better.

• Like 1

Thinking to myself, "Should I put lemon oil on the new fretboard?  Nah... that's silly, right?  It's a brand new bass so it must be clean.  Oh wait, what's that dark residue on the fretboard?  OMFG"

I've occasionally played basses for a really long time before changing strings and oiling the fretboard, but I've never seen anything like this.  I don't know what those strings were, but they were s*%t and had to come off for sure.   Garbage, absolute garbage.

IMG_5860.jpg

A world of difference with the Ernie Balls... the low-B is there and sounds great. 

While taking off the factory strings, I realized that whoever initially put them on didn't leave enough length for decent windings around the post for the low-B.  It was one winding of a really tapered string.  I always aim for three tight winds around the posts, as in my photo here. 

IMG_5861.jpg

What's the fretboard made of? I've noticed that there seems to be a trend for dark wood fretboards to be sprayed at the factory with some sort of black 'paint' (for lack of a better word). It's not dirt, and it probably has some protective properties, but I made sure to (gently, with a moist rag) wipe it off the Tiger or Macassar ebony fretboards of at least two of my bass guitars and two of my uprights.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

What's the fretboard made of? I've noticed that there seems to be a trend for dark wood fretboards to be sprayed at the factory with some sort of black 'paint' (for lack of a better word). It's not dirt, and it probably has some protective properties, but I made sure to (gently, with a moist rag) wipe it off the Tiger or Macassar ebony fretboards of at least two of my bass guitars and two of my uprights.

The fretboard on this one is Wenge.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I've noticed that there seems to be a trend for dark wood fretboards to be sprayed at the factory with some sort of black 'paint'

Hi silvia, it could be a stain that’s been sprayed in the factory to tint the fretboard slightly darker, we did it in our joinery shop and some stains have a strange smell 🙂

• Thanks 1