Why become a member? ×

Passive Pickups

Doc1978

Hi folks,

Recently bought a fretless jazz bass and would like to upgrade the pickups. Currently it's loaded with Wilkinson's that came as standard.

I would like some help or advice in relation to which are best suited for fretless using flat wound strings.

Thanks in advance to any of you low frequency legends that may have suggestions! 

Cheers,

Paul 

I agree with Roger. No point in upgrading for the sake of it. Wilkinsons are decent pickups, especially for what they cost. I'd play on them for a while and see how they shape up. You can easily end up chasing your tail upgrading things. The differences between pickups are slight in my experience. A J or a P pickup is a J or a P pickup pretty much (leaving out obvious cheapies). Beware the sales spiel about their being wound with the hair of virgins, etc.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Haha 1

Agree with the above guys - play them first and see how they feel.

Also it utterly depends on what you play through, pre-amp, amp, cab etc.

Someone else Fave pick ups, May not be the ones for you. For example I am naturally drawn to pick ups most people don’t have!

If you specify if you want a more vintage/a more modern sound then you will get a nod in the right direction and there are loads out there

I will give a big nod to a UK manufacturer in Creamery pick ups, and he will wind to your tastes

I'm afraid I have to agree with most of what's been said above. I think Wilkinson pickups are massively underrated. They sound superb, especially given the price point. What don't you like about them? 

You would have to spend a lot of money to get what is (in my opinion at least) little difference. Presumably if it came fitted with Wilkinsons then it's a bass at the budget end of the market. I honestly wouldn't spend a fortune on upgrading the pickups when the Wilkinson will get the job done all day long. 

• Like 1

I'll also stick up for Wilkinson pickups, having stuck one in the bridge position of a bitsa bass, and a pair of their humbuckers in a skinny-string.

That said, if you're really not sold on the sound of them, there are options at a similar price point. Tonerider spring to mind: similarly underrated for the money, and allegedly good enough that Squier were putting them into their "Classic Vibe" guitars and basses at one point.