Why become a member? ×

Gotoh BB-04W battery box too small for standard 9v batteries

Jean-Luc Pickguard

I like Gotoh hardware - My favourite tuners are the vintage style GB640 reso-lites which I have on two of my Thunderbird vintage pros and the EP-B3 N oversized strap buttons are great for keeping a comfort strapp safely attached thunderbird without needing grolsch washers.

BB-04W-1.jpg

I really wanted to like the BB-04W as it would be a neat way to power the EMG PJ-X pickups and BTC system in my Squier SS Jaguar with 18V. This double battery box cost nearly £20 so I expected it to be ideal, however it is too small for the 9V kodak alkaline batteries I use; the batteries go in, but then it is impossible to close the flap or the battery receptacle part.

With a heavy heart I have had to sent it back for a refund. I'm glad I found this out cutting a blumming great hole in the bass.

6 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

Some batteries have larger terminal rings which causes this. The hole at the far end of each receptacle is just a little bit too small for them. You would be ok with a different brand of batteries, I suspect.

Yep, I bought batteries from a local shop a while back that didn't fit my Stingray while every other battery I'd ever bought had done

6 hours ago, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

I'm sure it would be fine with Duracells, but I always use the kodak ones as they last as long and are only a quid each. I'll probably have to route two holes to use a pair of single boxes instead.

You can usually find Duracells on eBay for not much over £1 each , when buying them in boxes of 10. 🙂