Why become a member? ×

Precision & Markbass

Lozz196

Went to see a band last night and was reminded of just what a great combination a Fender Precision and a Markbass amp are. The bassist was also using an MXR M87 compressor and the sound was great, really good solid low end, nothing fancy, just a great bass sound that really locked in with the drums.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Went to see a band last night and was reminded of just what a great combination a Fender Precision and a Markbass amp are. The bassist was also using an MXR M87 compressor and the sound was great, really good solid low end, nothing fancy, just a great bass sound that really locked in with the drums.

Didn't you sell me a Markbass many moons ago?

I recently discover a button on my Portaflex which gives a low bass boost.  I was running my '66P into the amp with the EQ set with bass set at about 2 o'clockt; slightly more low mids and the treble tuned down to about 9 o'clock.  Bass boost button engaged and a bit of foam squished under the strings next to the bridge; the result wonderful rich tones.

Edited by ead

1 hour ago, ead said:

I recently discover a button on my Portaflex which gives a low bass boost.  I was running my '66P into the amp with the EQ set with bass set at about 2 o'clockt; slightly more low mids and the treble tuned down to about 9 o'clock.  Bass boost button engaged and a bit of foam squished under the strings next to the bridge; the result wonderful rich tones.

Funnily enough, I discovered exactly the same on my Portaflex with my Precision and like you, wonderful rich tones 😁😊

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Was he also using a Markbass cab?

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes, a 2x10 stood vertically. I was very impressed by it, it just worked.

Great stuff. MB cabs sometimes gets criticised on BC for being a bit muddier compared to some of the more expensive 'higher end' cabs.

But frankly there are a ton of very good live bass players who don't find MB gear the least bit limiting and sound great through it! It's quality, reliable gear. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

Great stuff. MB cabs sometimes gets criticised on BC for being a bit muddier compared to some of the more expensive 'higher end' cabs.

But frankly there are a ton of very good live bass players who don't find MB gear the least bit limiting and sound great through it! It's quality, reliable gear. 

Yeah, I’ve found that they seem to have a high end roll-off, but that’s only an issue if DI ing to FOH and wanting the same sound out front as on stage. For a regular pub gig where the rig is doing it all never an issue. I think the bass was going to FOH - as were all the instruments- but it wasn’t made any louder, just a small presence to balance out. 

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

It is true.  I have a Markbass Traveller 2x10, when I bought it from Andertons I played it side by side to a MB NY12, Genzler Array and Aguilar 12".  The Genzler and Aguilar were incredible sounding cabs, the MB definitely lacked high end clarity and was a bit muddy in the mids in comparison.  That was with everything at noon on the LMT 500 head.  I got the MB much closer to the Genzler and  Aguilar by cutting some low mids and boosting the treble.  Given the cab was well over £300 cheaper too I was pretty happy with the sound of the MB 210, I do want to pull off the oversized logo on the grill  but I quite like the yellow speakers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

Yeah, I’ve found that they seem to have a high end roll-off, but that’s only an issue if DI ing to FOH and wanting the same sound out front as on stage. For a regular pub gig where the rig is doing it all never an issue. I think the bass was going to FOH - as were all the instruments- but it wasn’t made any louder, just a small presence to balance out. 

A lot of folk crave a more vintage sound and will set their EQ with the treble rolled of to deliver, particularly on Motown stuff.

Other folk can't stand the fizz of some otherwise really good drive pedals.

Well here's the thing: a classic MB cab will naturally deliver that vintage tone and pair really well with drive pedals you might otherwise want to avoid, by cutting the high end fizz. 

Sorry dozing off watching wales Italy with a cold!

G&L LB100 (their vintage sounding P model) with Chrome flats

Markbass littlemark tube- 500w

Aguilar DB112 cabs, in tweed for that extra midrange bump.

It is a fantastic sounding rig.

22 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Well I have no idea what the abbreviations stand for, but I'm sure that's a great rig. 

😁

495036AF-8273-4751-8731-39992BF5C216.jpeg

• Like 1