Why become a member? ×

SOLD: USA Precision 1997, LPB / rosewood + case
£875
Sevenoaks, Kent

Soledad

I'll try this again. £750 including UK shipping. I nearly sold it twice, it is absolutely straight and mint '97 USA, just the celly colour change courtesy the highly respected David Hughes. It's a stunner and set up really nicely with D'Addario nickel rounds on.
Not up for shipping outside UK unless buyer covers insurance or takes the risk.

Here's the original info:

A minter.
Bought new in early '98 (GAK, Brighton), sold to me (second owner) about 3 years ago. Never messed with, modded or banged around.
I've owned a good few Ps over the years and I really rate the 90s basses for build, sound and value (a 23 year old USA bass with no 'vintage' premium).
The previous owner played this bass in pub bands for many years so it's nicely played in but still really good, no noticeable fret wear etc.

Was originally black poly, and I had David Wilson refinish it in LPB nitro a few months ago. He was recommended to me by a number of forum members and his work is really impeccable - so this is like a new one, just needs the years to pass by as the nitro mellows.

Has been my main gigging bass (through a GB 900 and GB 8812 cab) with EB Cobalts. I'm using the Jazz these days and will be acquiring a 60s Original soon so this fine example is up for sale.

Original Fender 'chainsaw' case in excellent condition, original truss tool.

I have pics from David of the refinish stages - the black body had a heavy coat of poly on with a 3TSB underneath (all definitely factory original, so a Corona colour-swap to sort their production mix) - the new nitro has a deep rich clear laquer but is still surely much thinner than the original 2 coats of poly and I'm sure the bass is more lively and vibrant now.

Best thing is come and play it. Or I can drive a reasonable way carefully (9 points and rising). Will pack really well for shipping - own courier.

SALE ONLY now, sorry no trades.

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

P8.jpg

P9.jpg

Edited by Soledad
SOLD
  • Like 20

Replied Andy. I may regret the loss of this one, but a bit of stock control is required, and I'm making way for this (which is quite blowing the socks off so far) - a '98 USA P Special now with new Cobalts on.

PJ1.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Soledad said:

Replied Andy. I may regret the loss of this one, but a bit of stock control is required, and I'm making way for this (which is quite blowing the socks off so far) - a '98 USA P Special now with new Cobalts on.

PJ1.jpg

Well...I want your blue one...just...hang on.

3 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

Out of curiosity, why did you get it resprayed? 

Didn't like the black, personal taste I know. Love LPB and also like nitro so there we go. Then a '98 P Special came up and I really 'needed' that. Damn. I really 'need' that 60s Original of Oldhorsemurphy but...

• Thanks 1

Sorry to ask what may be a silly question, but can anyone explain the whole nitro thing? I hear it mentioned often but don't know anything other than the foam on some stands causes something bad! 

Enlighten me please! 

10 hours ago, stewblack said:

Enlighten me please! 

OK, so I'm no expert (one will be along I expect) - for me it's the vintage finish, I believe the early Fender metallics came from Cadillac, Buick etc paints of the late 50s / early 60s - in fact I think LPB is a '59 Caddie colour. That kind of sh*t appeals to me :)
As a finish it gets a really high gloss, but is less tough than poly. Some say they can hear a difference - I suspect a blindfold A/B test may say otherwise. And yes, take care with foam on stands, some of the foams have a plasticiser in them which migrates out and can affect the nitro laquer.
Re cost

28 minutes ago, dmckee said:

what did the refinish cost you? 

A very lot less than the place in Ashford I tried first (£850 for a nitro refin...). I think it would be fair to point you to David Wilson, as quote depends on what bass, what present finish, etc. David's on FB can't seem to embed a link but search FB David Wilson guitar tech. I'm a fan but more influentially so is Walshy and quite a few others.

And .... bass now on hold.

• MB1 locked this topic