Why become a member? ×

Ashdown AA-50-R as a bass amp

chyc

Hello all!

What are people's thoughts on using Ashdown's AA-50-R as an upright bass combo? It looks awfully similar to a PJB Cub in terms of advertised spec, but of course the devil is in the details.

I sent an email to Ashdown around a month ago but never got a reply about this. Ideally I'd try one, but

1) There isn't one near me
2) I don't want to try one and break it

AA_50_Front_1200x.jpg?v=1512494679

Apologies, we had issues with our email server pre Christmas which wasn't resolved until the first week of Jan so none of the info@ emails came through sadly. So if your email was during this period it will have never made it unfortunately. 

To answer your question however it should in theory work nicely, will all depend on how loud you need to be on stage... may be worth looking at the 100 at the same time as more power and twice the speakerage...

If you're in or near Oxford swing into PMT as pretty sure they have them in stock there. Or if you're ever down Essex way then you're welcome to pop in and have a blast with your upright...

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

Apologies, we had issues with our email server pre Christmas which wasn't resolved until the first week of Jan so none of the info@ emails came through sadly. So if your email was during this period it will have never made it unfortunately. 

No worries. Glad it's all sorted now and yes it is likely my email went into a black hole as the timing fits.

18 hours ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

To answer your question however it should in theory work nicely, will all depend on how loud you need to be on stage... may be worth looking at the 100 at the same time as more power and twice the speakerage...

Good to know. I must confess that I thought you were ignoring me so went with another product. Also doubly annoying to see the Oxford PMT has one in stock that I could have tried (I swear that wasn't there when I looked before). Should my new purchase fall through I'll be taking a closer look at the AA 50 R in future. It looks killer versatile.

2 hours ago, chyc said:

No worries. Glad it's all sorted now and yes it is likely my email went into a black hole as the timing fits.

Good to know. I must confess that I thought you were ignoring me so went with another product. Also doubly annoying to see the Oxford PMT has one in stock that I could have tried (I swear that wasn't there when I looked before). Should my new purchase fall through I'll be taking a closer look at the AA 50 R in future. It looks killer versatile.

No problem, what did you go with instead out of interest?

1 hour ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

No problem, what did you go with instead out of interest?

I decided on a GSS 06B400MKD. Small and light like the AA 50 R. Can't really compare these two combos as they have different compromises, but what did it for me was

1) GSS were very personable and helpful, although I now understand your reasons for not replying (email server brokenness and NAMM)
2) There is a YouTube video of this puppy in action with an electric and an EUB.

mini-ampli-basse-06B400-GSS-Guitar-Sound

I'm sure you'd have been happy with the Ashdown (although I'm not familiar with that particular amp) but you also won't be unhappy with the GSS. Far from it, everything that Didier makes that I've tried has been fantastic.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jack said:

I'm sure you'd have been happy with the Ashdown (although I'm not familiar with that particular amp) but you also won't be unhappy with the GSS. Far from it, everything that Didier makes that I've tried has been fantastic.

Thanks for the reassuring message. I'm really looking forward to giving it a whirl using my upright.