Why become a member? ×

Double thumping

wishface

It's all the rage!

Personally i've noticed those that can do it seem to have a natural upward curve at the tip of their thumb. This makes the upstroke much easier.

My thumb just likes flat so no matter how much I try I can't strum the up stroke.

Victor Wooten is a product of advanced genetics! :D

Lucky bugger (great player/nice guy too)

It just takes time to find the right approach for you. It has taken me a long time, but I am almost to the point where I am comfortable enough with it to use it on a gig. What did it for me is that I now tilt my thumb towards the bass a little during the upstroke.

Keep at it, so will I :)

Edited by HazBeen

I forced myself to learn it by putting in Marcus Millers version of What is Hip? into my band set list. We play it pretty well unless it starts to speed up, then I'm in BIG trouble. In fact it's not a technique I use often just on the Marcus Miller covers that we use sometimes in the set. I don't have an upward curl on my thumb. There are a couple of ways I execute the technique.

1) Down and up with the pad of my thumb on down stroke and the top of my nail on the up stroke.

2) in and out  hitting the outside of the  string with the inside edge of my thumb so that the thumb finishes between the body and string, then pull the thumb out using the outer edge of my thumb on the inside edge of the string for the out stroke. A bit more percussive and less of the note and more attack.

Edited by jazzyvee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...