Why become a member? ×

Cab farting

Stofferson

Hi guys,

ABM 600 into BF410.

Playing at home at the "neighbours aren't in volumes" and noticed it was proper farting out on particular notes, C on the A string mainly, proper weird,

anyway, took the amp off the top of the cab and tried it again. .  no farting,

is this a head issue? Really weird

If it was the preamp valve surely it wouldn't have stopped farting when you took the head off the cab?  I had a similarly perplexing farting noise from my old Trace Elliot/Barefaced rig and it ended up being the handle of the head rack case vibrating.

55 minutes ago, Paul S said:

If it was the preamp valve surely it wouldn't have stopped farting when you took the head off the cab?  I had a similarly perplexing farting noise from my old Trace Elliot/Barefaced rig and it ended up being the handle of the head rack case vibrating.

Vibrations maybe? I have no idea, microphonic maybe? But yeah put the head on it's side next to the cab and played as I did and seemed to work

On 30/01/2020 at 15:19, Stofferson said:

Quick Google may suggest it's the pre amp valve? Might change that and see how it is

I had a similar farting noise through my barefaced six10, the noise was being produced only on the low G. I was using an orange ad200b at the time and I reseated the preamp valves and the noise stopped. Very weird. 

On 01/02/2020 at 16:22, Jonse said:

I had a similar farting noise through my barefaced six10, the noise was being produced only on the low G. I was using an orange ad200b at the time and I reseated the preamp valves and the noise stopped. Very weird. 

Not really, valves work with a series of metal plates and grids 800px-Triode-english-text.svg.pngas the valves age the plates lose material and the plates move about and distort changing the electrical properties, in the end most of them become microphonic picking up vibrations and passing them though the amplifier on to the speakers. In addition they can become loose in their sockets as you mentioned, so there are plenty of ways odd sounds can occur through mechanical noises. Solid state is … well it's solid 

• Like 1